Robert Pires is a tit

Christof

If you get a chance to watch the highlights of this then please do, it sounds like the funniest incident and typically it involved a Gooner.

I've just heard it on Five live Extra and this is the chain of events

Arsenal 1-0, Bergkamp wins their second penalty of the day.

Pires steps up to take the penalty.

Three steps up, stops to dummy the keep, lifts his foot, BUT TOUCHES THE BALL

Man City players run into the box as the "penalty is taken" Pires appeals, is booked and its a Man City free kick.

If Arsenal lose I wouldn't want to be Robert Pires.

Does he not understand the rules? Even if he had passed the ball to Henry succesfully' date=' the ball must hit an opposition player or the frame of the goal.[/quote']

wrong, did you not see the video clip of Jordi Cruff & some other player do it, if he would of passed it to henry and henry would of shot or passed it back and pires & pires would of shot it would of been perfectly legal.

aslong as the ball goes foward its fine.

On Soccer Saturday they were saying the rules have changed since Cruyff and Olsen did it at Ajax, as Y2James said the ball has to hit an opposition player or the goal frame before a member of the same team can touch it again. However this was not mentioned on Match of the Day or Goals on Sunday so I'm not too sure if the goal would have stood or not, still funny watching a player of his calibre miss hit a dead ball like that.

This should clear it up.

Law 14 - The Penalty Kick

A penalty kick is awarded against a team which commits one of the ten offences for which a direct free-kick is awarded, inside its own penalty area and while the ball is in play.

* A goal may be scored directly from a penalty kick.

* Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken at the end of each half or at the end of periods of extra time.

Position of the ball and the players

The ball:

is placed on the penalty mark

The player taking the penalty kick:

is properly identified

The defending goalkeeper:

remains on his goalline, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked

The players other than the kicker are located:

inside the field of play

outside the penalty area

behind the penalty mark

at least 9.15m (10yds) from the penalty mark

The referee:

does not signal for a penalty kick to be taken until the players have taken up position in accordance with the Law

decides when a penalty kick has been completed

Procedure:

the player taking the penalty kicks the ball forward

he does not play the ball a second time until it has touched another player

the ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward

When a penalty kick is taken during the normal course of play, or time has been extended at half-time or full time to allow a penalty kick to be taken or retaken, a goal is awarded if, before passing between the goalposts and under the crossbar:

the ball touches either or both of the goalposts and/or the crossbar, and/or the goalkeeper

Infringements/Sanctions:

If the referee gives the signal for a penalty kick to be taken and, before the ball is in play, one of the following situations occurs:

The player taking the penalty kick infringes the Laws of the Game:

the referee allows the kick to proceed

if the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken

If the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and restarts the match with an indirect free kick to the defending team.

The goalkeeper infringes the Laws of the Game:

if the ball enters the goal, a goal is awarded

if the ball does not enter the goal, the kick is retaken

A team-mate of the player taking the kick enters into the penalty area or moves in front of or within 9.15m (10yds) of the penalty mark:

if the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken

If the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and restarts the match with an indirect free kick to the defending team.

If the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper, the crossbar or the goal post and is touched by this player, the referee stops play and restarts the match with an indirect free kick to the defending team

A team-mate of the goalkeeper enters into the penalty area or moves in front of or within 9.15m (10yds) of the penalty mark:

if the ball enters the goal, a goal is awarded

if the ball does not enter the goal, the kick is retaken

A player of both the defending team and the attacking team infringe the Laws of the Game:

the kick is retaken

If, after the penalty kick has been taken:

The kicker touches the ball a second time (except with his hands) before it has touched another player:

an indirect free-kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred*

The kicker deliberately handles the ball before it has touched another player:

a direct free-kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred*

The ball is touched by an outside agent as it moves forward:

the kick is retaken

The ball rebounds into the field of play from the goalkeeper, the crossbar or the goalposts, and is then touched by an outside agent:

the referee stops play

play is restarted with a dropped ball at the place where it touched the outside agent*

• Like 1

NEVER EVER mix up Jordi Cruyff (a footballing Donkey) and his father Johan Cruyff (A footballing God).

NEVER.

jesus christ Inno no need to throw your toy's out of the pram, i only forgot the name of who did it and i get yelled at by you.

Edited by Ryan

TERRY HENRY

thats an insult to Thierry Henry :lol

Stop being defensive Mr Not So' date=' Jordi and Johan are worlds apart[/quote']

im sick of people having a go at me for stupid things like that.

Edited by Ryan

If you are sick of being corrected, then don't make such an absurdly stupid mistake, especially saying that you would be the first to get out the cold fish for a slapping if someone mistook Curt Hennig for Marty Wright, which is on a par with your mistake. You made a mistake; someone corrected you and quite rightly so, get over it. There is more important things to worry about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, back to topic. I was going to reply to this on Saturday after getting back from the match, but I was so incensed I couldn't put my summation into words without it resorting into a full blown unconstructive rant, so held back until I could offer my opinions in more reserved manner. It seems obvious that Henry was the major instigator, wanting his 187th goal to be from open play, spectacular, or a memorable incident (which is the one he plumped for with his friend Mr Pires.) I am still in shock that it was our captain and one of our most senior players of all people that pulled this farce out of the bag alongside one of our other senior players whose own form has been woeful of late. It reeked of stupidity and arrogance from the get-go, but to attempt it with a slender one-nil lead it has lead to it finally dawning to me why everyone else (apart from at Highbury) deems our team and players arrogant. My bias had been shading over the cracks, but sitting in my seat in the West Stand it just dawned and now my reflection really has changed. Pires and Henry should be dropped or punished for this debacle. No matter how trying times are at Arsenal at current it needs to be shown especially to the younger players filling the gaps in our first team that this kind of arrogance is not acceptable. What kind of example were Henry and Pires setting? How they stayed on the pitch after the incident is beyond me. Was Wenger even there? It just gave me the opinion that some of the players are seeing the Premiership now as a training ground.

The thing that really aggrieves me the most about the whole incident is the continued talk of Arsenal trying to regain their effiency and form. You cannot even start to talk about efficiency in one breath, and then go out and show boat in the next. It just undermines every single reason that have lead to Wenger's feeling that Quincy Owusu Abeyie can't yet start a full match. Even if the incident had been pulled off and the training ground trick had been achieved on the pitch I would still be as angry as I am now about the incident. It just seems that the elite few can attempt absurd showboat techniques while the youngsters whom are fighting to get into the team to impress (so thus will be looking at ways as to make a name and cling on to their chances), are made to hold back on the bench in the danger they may make a mistake that costs us a match. I appreciate Wenger has had to back up his players to take the shine off of some of the criticism quite rightly flung by the media in their direction, but I will be extremely disappointed if he is not fuming inside, particularly because of the way he is being forced at current to rely on these senior players to be the backbone with our injury problems. The fact that they planned to do this in the first place says and sums it all up for me, and if I was a Man City fan or player I would have been very angry. I have the absolute biggest respect for Stuart Pearce, his reserved summation after the game truly shows what a great man he is but I could fully understand if he felt astonished by the lack of respect shown his way and towards his team with this incident.

To surmise, I am not losing faith in Wenger or any of the team. We are in transition, heading towards a new stadium and have some great youth prospects propping up (many of whom will attempt to make their names tomorrow in the Carling Cup.) We have injury problems and are not having the rub of the green (not without the lack of trying, especially poor Jose Reyes who can't get a goal for toffee, despite being in inspired form), the form will turn around and we will be back with a vengeance by the end of the season. But what I cannot appreciate is two of our senior players taking it upon themselves to showboat at a time when the chips are down. In this period where things are not shining so bright they should be taking the mantle to inspire the youngsters to step forward and kick the team back into form. When one of these players that attempt this is wearing the captain’s armband then it can only aggrieve one more. I can take being my team and players being the subject of some banter from the fellow football republic, that’s not the issue. The big issue is that at a team when Wenger is trying to blood our youth and remould the team, he is being blighted not by a youngster making a mistake he can learn from, but senior players attempting the absurd and giggling away afterwards.

Its not football, theres a time and a place and being 1-nil up and no where near being in inspired form is not the time to attempt the absurd.

• Like 2