Over Rated and Under Rated Footballers

The B-Man

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over rated?

At the moment I'd say Joe Cole. He has really brought nothing but the odd flash to the Chelsea and England midfield and I was suprised when he was bought by Chelsea to begin with....

Where as on the under rated side is his former Hammer's midfield partner Michael Carrick who showed in the US tour with England that he is ready and capable of being a holding man in a balanced and succesful England team...

Thats just the start... There may be more to come...

Ok Over rated Christiano Ronaldo. He is just not the REAL Ronaldo and the commentators love him, but really I see nothing special.

Under rated I am going to see Ronaldo and I know that may sound weird to most people but really I just don't feel the guy gets reconginised anymore and he is still one of the best Stirkers in the country.

Ok Over rated Christiano Ronaldo. He is just not the REAL Ronaldo and the commentators love him, but really I see nothing special.

Under rated I am going to see Ronaldo and I know that may sound weird to most people but really I just don't feel the guy gets reconginised anymore and he is still one of the best Stirkers in the country.

Country... You mean world of course...

Which I agree with, he has in terms of plaudits and love slipped below the level bestowed to his peers Henry, Van Nistellrooy and even Ronaldino...

But give him a chance and more often then not he will score. Maybe the fact that he is in a side at Real Madrid with the likes of Zidane and Beckham, Raul, Julio Baptista and Robiniho he can get left in the shade. Then you add in Baptista, Robinho and then Ronaldino and Adriano when he plays for Brazil and you can see why the limelight isn't always on him as much nor the applause.

I'll just add in a couple of NFL footballers here... arf.

Over-rated :

Randy Moss. Serious case of MEHs surrounding this guy.

Ahman Green. Piffle.

Under-rated :

Keenan McCardell. Great hands, vastly overlooked.

Carson Palmer. Coming on t oa good game after ropey start to his career.

I'll just add in a couple of NFL footballers here... arf.

Over-rated :

Randy Moss. Serious case of MEHs surrounding this guy.

Ahman Green. Piffle.

Under-rated :

Keenan McCardell. Great hands, vastly overlooked.

Carson Palmer. Coming on t oa good game after ropey start to his career.

WHO?

Country... You mean world of course...

Which I agree with, he has in terms of plaudits and love slipped below the level bestowed to his peers Henry, Van Nistellrooy and even Ronaldino...

But give him a chance and more often then not he will score. Maybe the fact that he is in a side at Real Madrid with the likes of Zidane and Beckham, Raul, Julio Baptista and Robiniho he can get left in the shade. Then you add in Baptista, Robinho and then Ronaldino and Adriano when he plays for Brazil and you can see why the limelight isn't always on him as much nor the applause.

Yeah I meant world. I would rather have him than Van Nistlerooy, the only striker other than Ronaldo I would want in my team would be Henry. The reason I say Ronaldo doesn't get recognised as much is because since his major injury noone has mentioned him really. Yet he goes and scores 6 goals in the World Cup and comes out of it as the top goal scorer. Then for 2 years running he is the top goal scorer in Spain.

Overated

Van Nistleroy

he really does suck, yeh he's scored some good goals but that doesnt mean squat.

Underated

Shay Given

probably one of if not the best goalkeeper in the premiership, but no one gives a crap about goalkeepers, if someone scores a goal there a hero if a goalkeeper saves a shot no one could give a damn, goal of the month, why dont they have save of the month, player of the season, ALWAYS an outfield player, never a goalkeeper, PFA player of the year, ALWAYS an outfield player NEVER a goalkeeper.

Over rated - Peter Crouch - So what if Liverpool bought him hes pants for them and pants for england, He hasnt score this season, yet he get in the England team ahead of

Under rated - Darren Bent - A player who made the jump from Championship to Premier league and is the joint top goal scorer (the highest scoring English man) in his first season with Charlton, Yet he hasnt even had the last 5 minutes for England

And Mr P there is award for best goalkeeper, Its called FIFA Goalkeeper of the year i think but i maybe wrong with the name

And Mr P there is award for best goalkeeper' date=' Its called FIFA Goalkeeper of the year i think but i maybe wrong with the name[/quote']

maybe so but i want to know why Outfield players get treated like gods when they score but Goalkeeper are just forgotten about when they work equilly as hard

Overated

Van Nistleroy

he really does suck, yeh he's scored some good goals but that doesnt mean squat.

Underated

Shay Given

probably one of if not the best goalkeeper in the premiership, but no one gives a crap about goalkeepers, if someone scores a goal there a hero if a goalkeeper saves a shot no one could give a damn, goal of the month, why dont they have save of the month, player of the season, ALWAYS an outfield player, never a goalkeeper, PFA player of the year, ALWAYS an outfield player NEVER a goalkeeper.

Van Nistelrooy overratted??do you think he gets in those goal scoring positions by fluke or something??

Overrated - Djbril Cisse - gives the ball away constantly.

overrated - Luis Garcia - ditto.

overated - John o shea - he's complete crap.

underated - Rafael Van der vaart - what the hells he doing at Wolfsburg??

Underated - Michel Salgado - very good right back in my opinion.

Okay, here we go with over-rated, this could take a while.

Ruud van Nistelrooy - Okay, he scores, but he is otherwise useless at passing, tackling, and everything else. Me and Hardcore Holly have argued over this before, and don't want to get into all that again. To me he taps in goals. He doesn't creat much, and without a decent team around him he is very very very very worthless.

Joe Cole - Ball greedy mofo, always looking for glory, and just generally poor.

Christiano Ronaldo - Goes down easier than the slapper accusing him of rape, and bit like Joe Cole. Alhough I do have a problem with the Portugues in general, hence why Figo should be added to the list.

Rio Ferdinand - He is a very talented player. Just sooooo inconsistant it hurts.

Jonathan Woodgate - See his first 2 Real appearances.

Beckham - Was a great player, but has slowed down, can't tackle, lacks discipline, misses lots of freekicks and penalties.

Billy Paynter - Plays at Port Vale. Absolute f'ing donkey. Worse than Van Nistelrooy.

Mr. Perfect.. you suck..

this isnt Mi1tch3ll.com sin we dont flame eachother for no reason here.

99.999999999999999999999999999999999999 of Ruud's goals are from about 2 feet from the goal, not once have a seen him score a goal worth talking about

but why say i suck because of my opinion?

Edited by Ryan

Eh? That makes no sense.

Overated

Rooney

Ferdinand

Beckham

Owen

Barry Ferguson

Chris Sutton

John Hartson

Underated

Gillardino

Robbie Nielson

Charlie Miller

Robbie Winters

99.999999999999999999999999999999999999 of Ruud's goals are from about 2 feet from the goal' date=' not once have a seen him score a goal worth talking about[/quote']

Everyone who saw his goal against Fulham a couple of years ago where he ran half the length of the pitch going past numerous players before finishing perfectly would like a word with you.

This isn't FIFA 2006. It doesn't matter how the goals go in. If you can score the amount in the Premiership that Ruud does in full fitness year in, year out, you're a world class striker. Some of the timings of his runs I've seen have required just as much skill as any of Thierry Henry's goals. But because they don't fly in from 30 yards every time he gets the ball, he's rubbish apparently. Anyway, time for a brief Gene style list:

Over rated

Wayne Rooney

Michael Owen

David Beckham - All three are self explainatory. Two decent players made out to be world class, and a very average, one dimensional player who's been off form for years made out to be some kind of modern day God.

Fernando Torres- Probably the best player on this list, but still not god's gift to football like some people are saying.

Neil Lennon- What exactly does he do? Except cause controversy and give away fouls in the midfield area where he can get away without being booked time and time again.

Freddy Adu- A novelty act. The Americans love him because he's young and has a bit of talent, but has been found out by struggling in a relatively poor league. Nothing more than a merchandising brand name, along the lines of David Beckham.

Under Rated

Zoltan Gera- Almost single handedly saved West Brom last season.

Daniele De Rossi- As good as any central midfielder on his day. Can attack, defend, sheer class all round.

Djibril Cisse- Liverpool's best striker, yet he seems to be ignored for his contribution by the media, probably because he's not English.

Joaquin- I don't think there's a better right winger in the world, but you wouldn't know it from the lack of attention he gets. Just as influencial as Kaka or Ronaldinho, but plays for a less glamourous side so he gets ignored.

Dejan Stankovic- Another guy who I've rated highly for years, and it's only now he's starting to get recognition as most likely Inter's best midfielder.

Dado Prso- At the start of the season, he was probably playing as well as any other striker in Britain. He can do just about everything. He's strong but mobile, wins balls in the air, has great distribution, makes intelligent runs out wide to allow the midfield to push up, is a great finisher and tries harder than anyone out there on the pitch. Such an under rated player in world football, because if he was playing in a more recognised league he'd still be performing so well and getting a hell of a lot of plaudits for it.

Shay Given- For years, Newcastle haven't had a defence worth mentioning and Given is always the man to save the day. Along with Tim Flowers and Peter Schmeichal, the most consistent goalkeeper in the Premiership's history.

I'll probably think of some more later and curse myself for not posting them, but these are the first names that came to mind.

Probably the most under-rated footballer of the last few years is Didier Drogba. Nearly every football fan I know ridicules him and says something along the lines of 'Drogba's crap because he's got no skill, he doesn't score enough goals and he's only in the team because of his price-tag'

All of the above criticisms are grossly unjust and unfair. Firstly, to say Drogba is rubbish because he isn't skilful shows a lack of understanding about the game. All right, he's not the best technical player in the world but he provides Chelsea with an option they otherwise do not have. He is essential to their style of play as he holds the ball up better than any other top-class striker in the world today. He is a fantastic header of the ball, is not a bad finisher and is a good team player (as 5 assists in the last 3 games would indicate). In short, he is the perfect target man.

As for not scoring enough goals, he plays as a lone striker. Hence, he doesn't get as many chances as people say he does. 'Oh but he plays for Chelsea, he gets loads of opportunities'. Actually he doesn't. He gets his fair share, but the majority of Chelsea's chances fall to Lampard and the two wingers. He scored 15 goals in 35 Premiership apperances last season. That is actually a very good strike rate for a target man whose main job is to bring others into the game and I'm sure he'll score even more this season.

The price tag argument is ridiculous. Sure he's not worth 24 million, but there aren't many players in the world who are. As for only being in the team because of it, Chelski don't particularly care about price-tags. To Abromavich, 24 million pounds is a pittance. Therefore, there's absolutely no pressure put on Mourinho to play him. If the size of the transfer fee did matter to Chelsea, Wright-Phillps would be an automatic starter.

Finally, those think that so-called 'better' players like Crespo should start instead of Drogba on a regular basis should remember one thing. Mourinho knows what he's doing. A coach who won the Premiership by nearly 20 points and won the Champions' League with Porto can't be that wrong, can he?

Edited by Wolverine

Probably the most under-rated footballer of the last few years is Didier Drogba. Nearly every football fan I know ridicules him and says something along the lines of 'Drogba's crap because he's got no skill, he doesn't score enough goals and he's only in the team because of his price-tag'

All of the above criticisms are grossly unjust and unfair. Firstly, to say Drogba is rubbish because he isn't skilful shows a lack of understanding about the game. All right, he's not the best technical player in the world but he provides Chelsea with an option they otherwise do not have. He is essential to their style of play as he holds the ball up better than any other top-class striker in the world today. He is a fantastic header of the ball, is not a bad finisher and is a good team player (as 5 assists in the last 3 games would indicate). In short, he is the perfect target man.

As for not scoring enough goals, he plays as a lone striker. Hence, he doesn't get as many chances as people say he does. 'Oh but he plays for Chelsea, he gets loads of opportunities'. Actually he doesn't. He gets his fair share, the majority of Chelsea's chances fall to Lampard and the two wingers. He scored 15 goals in 35 Premiership apperances last season. That is actually a very good strike rate for a target man whose main job is to bring others into the game and I'm sure he'll score even more this season.

The price tag argument is ridiculous. Sure he's not worth 24 million, but there aren't many players in the world who are. As for only being in the team because of it, Chelski don't particularly care about price-tags. To Abromavich, 24 million pounds is a pittance. Therefore, there's absolutely no pressure put on Mourinho to play him. If the size of the transfer fee did matter to Chelsea, Wright-Phillps would be an automatic starter.

Finally, those think that so-called 'better' players like Crespo should start instead of Drogba on a regular basis should remember one thing. Mourinho knows what he's doing. A coach who won the Premiership by nearly 20 points and won the Champions' League with Porto can't be that wrong, can he?

that is so true wolverine (i am a chelsea fan so i am a bit biased)

also Drogba has seen a pick up in form lately.. he scored last night.. was man of the match v liverpool and scored and played great against bolton (i was there)... he didn't have the best of seasons last seasons and he knows it.... he has improved drastically this year and is becoming a striker to watch out for

Nice couple of choices there by Russ on the Uder Rated List. Dado Prso could easily play for a better team. The guy is phoneminal, very rarely wastes the ball has a bit of pace and can score his fair share of goals. Very good call and I am dissapointed I didn't pick up on that myself.

As for Michael Owen that guy is over-rated beyone belief, he scores one great goal and people are loving him. The fact that I think a good few years back he was said to be better than Shearer but he never did or has proved it my opinion.