Jury duty - Your Thoughts and Experiences.

Clarkey

I just wondered if anyone here had served on a jury? If so what did you make of your experience?

Did you feel it was a duty, a service to the community, or just a chore? Did you feel that the other jury members took their position seriously, examining the facts and deliberating as instructed ,or did you think they brought all their prejudices (either way!) to bear? Did you feel that you reached the right outcome? Has serving on a jury given you more, or less faith in the jury system?

For those who haven't served - would you? Or would you make every effort possible to be excused? What motivates your thoughts on taking part or avoiding serving? Has somebody you know had a particularly bad experience at the hands of a jury, or whilst serving on one? Or have you a very positive opinion of the jury system?

Are you serious?! You think there should be a group of revolving jurers for every trial in teh country? Do you realise just how many there are going on at once?!

And the point is that people have no idea about the case - its so that in theory they can be impartial and the accused can have a fair trial! ITs the right of every defendent to have a jury of their peers to judge them, not a bunch of professionals!

Ive heard some daft things in my time but that takes the biscuit!

The concept itself is still flawed, you cannot have a set of juries people say for each county to be involved in each trial. Can you imagine firstly their workload, secondly how unfair that is to have the trail jury already selected before the trail - the point is that its RANDOM AND ANYONE CAN BE PICKED FOR IT! And thirdly if this jury is the same for every trial, the potential for bribery is tremendous, if people know exactly who is gonna be on their trial ages in advance, they could be in danger if its the right kind of trial, and if not would it would be much easier to influence their vote.

Basically i think its a rubbish suggestion.

Jury Duty is something i have wanted to do for a long time. When i first started reading books regularly i was reading a lot of books by Grisham and Lescroart that deal with Juries and their parts in cases. Obviously i know real life isnt like it is in the books, but i have always found it intriguing and i would love to do it if required. Its a duty we have to this country in a effort to ensure justice is carried out.

Totally agree with popsi on this one. It has to be random so its unbias. If there is like a certain group in each area who are jury team, could you imagine the risk they'd be under? People convicted would know exactly who convicted them and could literally do anything to them before or after the trial.

Mr. Perfect that idea is so bad that it actually inspired me to post just to tell you how bad that idea is.

Stop a minute and think about how it completely doesn't make any sense and how it defeats the whole purpose of am impartial jury. The idea could honestly be picked apart on so many grounds.

Well Clarkey, I have indeed seved on a Jury and briefly heres how it goes. You don't have to do it if you don't want to, but you have to show up on the day. I chose to stick around as I was curious about what it would be like. It's not really that bad at all, apart from swearing in in front of potential criminals who are staring at you. Also, the defendant and the prosecutions lawyers are allowed to reject a certain amount of Jurors soley based on the "look of them". I of course was kept. We were sent to the Jury room where we elected a leader etc. and the leader seemed to take his position seriously. By the time we got back to the courtroom the dumbass crim had changed his plea to Guilty and we were dismissed. We didn't even get to stick around to hear the verdict. It was a shame as there was a cute girl serving on the jury that day and we were getting along pretty well I never saw her again. The End.

I served jury duty nearly 3 years ago.

First things first, show up! If you don't you'll be in court only in the dock.

Normal Jury service lasts 2 weeks although this may change if your stuck on a long case.

Take plenty to read, a PSP may be a good idea because for most of the time your sat around waiting. Your asked to be there for 9am but nothing happens till 11am.

Don't expect anything juicy. You may be lucky but in the 2 weeks i served i got 1 domestic and some chav who robbed a old lady.

Parking, travel expensives and your food is all payed for, so is any lost wages. This was great for me as i claimed my missed earnings back and worked payed me, so i basically doubled my wages and got loads of free food. I also seemed to get let go early everyday. It's very easy to see how the cost of trials is very high, as nothing ever seems to get done.

The best thing that i got out of Jury service is that i met a great friend there. We actully go and watch Burnley together now and often meet up for beer. So you'll more and likely meet lots and lots of different people. I found that some people took it very seriosly others not so. The old people did'nt seem to want to be there.

Ive never known anyone who's done jury duty, and never done it myself.

I think if i was asked to i would do it....

I read a book the other day.

A true story about this girl who came from a really bad background.

Her step-dad bullied everyone,

and also bullied jurer's into pleading his innocense,

I believe that as long as none of the jurer's have any connection and that there identity is withheld, then there is no problem.

I do think though that some of these high court judges are totally out of touch with the modern world at times. They seem to make decisions sometimes or render opinions at times that baffle everyone.

But i would like to serve on a jury one day, bet its pretty boring though.

I think the fact remains though that people will complain about these judges in England making 'out of touch' decisions when the fact remains that they are just interpreting the law as it is and generally in the way that parliament intended when they passed the law in question, and even then its all just another case of people complaining about something for the hell of it. I would trust them far more than some Tony Blair ass licking yuppies. See the Terrorism Bill shinanigans for example.

Judges are not there to make the law, they are there to interpret what the government has in place and therefore people should just ssh and complain about the people who are the actual cause of the problem, and that is the government; the legislature.