Bret Hart: Legend of The Hitman

Wrestle King

Throughout the years of wrestling, fans tend to forget some of the greatest superstars of all time. One superstar that will never be forgotten is Bret "Hitman" Hart. Bret Hart is one of, if not the greatest world champions the wrestling world has ever seen. His classic rivalries with his brother, the late, great Owen Hart and Shawn Michaels will live forever in the hearts of wrestling fans. I can remeber it as if it were yesterday when Owen Hart shocked the world by defeating Bret in the opening match at Wrestlemania X. This match proved to be one of the best matches of all time. Two brothers who had a tremendously long line of wrestling history in their blood, squared off against one another; wrestling has never seen better days since.

The legendary rivalry which may only be second to Hogan vs. Savage is Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. Michaels and Bret Hart must have squared off against one another at least a dozen times before Michaels was able to capture the title at Wrestlemania XII. The Iron Man Match at Wrestlemania XII was simply the best match in the history of wrestling. This match secured both Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels as true legends in the world of wrestling. The two squared off for one hour with no breaks and no breathers. The match ending in sudden death overtime only added to the emotion felt by wrestling fans around the world. Although he lost the match to Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart put on the show of his career. There has never been another match of the caliber and pure emotion of the classic Iron Man Match from Wrestlemania XII.

Wrestlemania XII only added more heat to already steaming feud between Michaels and Hart. However, this legendary feud came to an unfortunate ending at the 1997 Survivor Series, otherwise known as the Montreal Srewjob. This event proved to the world that wrestling has a darkside that is usually not shown to the fans. For those of you who are not familiar with this unfortunate event, this is what happened:

The main event at the 1997 Survivor Series was Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels or the world title. The match was scheduled to end with Bret Hart winning the match and keeping the title. This is certainly not what happened, and apparently, Bret was the only one who was not aware of the true outcome. In the middle of the match. Shawn Michaels put Bret Hart in the Sharpshooter, which is Bret's finishing move. While Michaels has the move on Hart, Vince McMahon comes running down the isle and he is motioning tot he bell keeper to ring the bell, and award the match and the title to Shawn Michaels. The only problem is that Bret never tapped out and Bret was told that the match would result in a victory by him. Apparently Vince had other plans. After the match was declared over and Bret was suprised by the ending, he spit in Vince's face at ringside, and everyone thought it was part of the show. However, this was not part of the show, it was Bret Hart giving Vince what he deserved for screwing him and telling him the correct plans. Backstage and untelevised, Bret found Vince and punched him in the face. At first, Michaels said that he didn't know about Vince changing the plans, but years later in an exclusive interview, Michaels admitted to knowing that Vince was going to screw Bret. This event proved to be the biggest disgrace to the wrestling world. WWE should have never acted in such a disgraceful manner because if it wasn't for superstars like Bret Hart, the world of wrestling would be dead.

Wrestling needs superstars like Bret Hart with the sunglasses and leather jackets to bring wrestling back to the way it was. Bret Hart will always be remembered in the hearts of wrestling fans, and everytime a match takes place, watch it, enjoy it, and always remember that Bret "Hitman" Hart could have done it better.

• Like 1

The Iron man match at WMXII was slow, boring and totally devoid of crowd interest. It was one of the worst matches I have EVER seen and easily the worst main event in WrestleMania history. Only a Hitman/HBK mark could get pleasure from watching those two put headlocks and other assorted rest holds on each other for an hour with so little crowd heat that thousands of people started leaving the building before the match ended.

It was HORRIBLE.

I'm actually comparatively new to wrestling and unfortunately missed Bret Hart first time around. Hearing people talk of the good old days though made me track down some old Colliseum WWF video collections. And I must admit, Bret Hart shone out to me as one to watch. Whilst Hogan, Savage, Warrior, etc come, for me anyway, under the catagory of "you had to be there at the time to appreciate it", Bret Hart's style intrigued me. So I got myself a Bret Hart video, and wasn't disappointed at all. I got hold of "Bret Hart: Wrestling With Shadows" to learn about the Montreal Screwjob - one of the most talked about events in wrestling history, and saw some of the man behind the character. Recently I've seen a couple more matches from Undertaker's new DVD and was again very impressed with the guy. Last night, as it happens, I pre-ordered "Bret Hitman Hart: The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be" DVD : Only £19.99 at Silvervision (from ^up there^) and am really looking forward to watching it.

To me, he represents great technical ability, well packaged. Whilst not exactly bad on the mic by any stretch of the imagination, IMO he's not one of the greats on the stick. But the image he put together - the pink, the jacket, the shades, is one of the most iconic and memorable looks I've seen in wrestling.

No matter what your views are about the Montreal Screwjob (shoot or work), either way it didn't do Bret Hart, the man, any favours. But the Hitman - it made the Hitman's memory endure. We didn't have to watch a saggy Hart stagger around the ring "one more time", or watch him fade away over the years. What is remembered is Bret Hart as a symbol, and I for one can be counted among his fans, and more of a fan the more I see. :worship

Waaaaaaaa Belty we understand you don't like Bret Hart. I can't wait for the dvd to be honest. It will be the first wrestling DVD i actually buy.
Waaaaaaaaaa, why you crying? And its nothing to do with not liking Hart, I like alot of his matches, but to say the f'n WMXII Iron Man match is the greatest match in wrestling history is something I dont agree on...

As for the DVD, meh. Load of crap. From all the matches they had a choice of using, some of them on there defy logic and some classics are not even present.

The DVD I'm looking forward to is the Jake Roberts set, THAT will be worth while.

Edited by The Beltster

My problem is with Bret Hart, is his matches were constantly the same, with the exact same moves and routines. I liked Hart a lot, but there will be no way I can watch through that DVD in one sitting, because when you've seen one Hart match, you've seen them all really.

It's the same with Samoa joe, who is a cracking wrestler if you watch one of his matches for the first time. When you've seen 30, 40, 50 or so Bret or Joe matches, you realise they don't stand out from each other.

Probably why I don't consider Hart to be one of the best wreslers of allt-ime really. Michaels, Flair, Austin are all miles ahead of 'The Hitman'.

My problem is with Bret Hart, is his matches were constantly the same, with the exact same moves and routines. I liked Hart a lot, but there will be no way I can watch through that DVD in one sitting, because when you've seen one Hart match, you've seen them all really.

It's the same with Samoa joe, who is a cracking wrestler if you watch one of his matches for the first time. When you've seen 30, 40, 50 or so Bret or Joe matches, you realise they don't stand out from each other.

Probably why I don't consider Hart to be one of the best wreslers of allt-ime really. Michaels, Flair, Austin are all miles ahead of 'The Hitman'.

Well, even from what I've seen he's certainly got a tried and trusted end routine of moves - Suplex, Russian Leg Sweep, 2nd rope forearm smash/elbow drop, Sharpshooter.

But claiming Michaels and Flair in particular don't do the same I find a bit odd. When's the last time you saw a HBK match without a flying forearm smash, nip-up, inverted Atomic Drop, Sweet Chin Music combo. Or Flair leave the chops, chop block, "woooo"s and Figure 4 out for a change?

And Austin outwrestles Bret Hart? Really?

Edited by The Doctor

Well, even from what I've seen he's certainly got a tried and trusted end routine of moves - Suplex, Russian Leg Sweep, 2nd rope forearm smash/elbow drop, Sharpshooter.

But claiming Michaels and Flair in particular don't do the same I find a bit odd. When's the last time you saw a HBK match without a flying forearm smash, nip-up, inverted Atomic Drop, Sweet Chin Music combo. Or Flair leave the chops, chop block, "woooo"s and Figure 4 out for a change?

And Austin outwrestles Bret Hart? Really?

Yeah, I mean who doesn't have signiature moves? I mean why not say well you've seen one wrestling match and therefore you've seen them all? I've been going through the Hitman archives here in parts unknown, and I discovered the Hitman/Flair match from WCW souled out, a great match for sure, shows that nobody compares to Hart when it comes to making it look as real as possible, his punches are fantastic, I don't think theres anyone better at that than Bret.

As for the Jake DVD being much better than Brets, well thats nowhere near true, Jakes DVD doesn't even have the Randy Savage stuff on it, which was the best stuff Jake ever did.