Childhood Phrases

Clarkey

Everyone must have at least at one time witnessed or felt the brunt of it where you simply have reiterated a phrase from your childhood leading to you being looked upon with confuzzlement. I often get a stern look when I use the words snazzy, nifty and say hokey-doke in reply. The phrases/words that you and your friends used all the time when you were younger, that now all of a sudden sound weird and archaic...yet you still use them.

For example, in my youth my friend used to walk up to people wearing bags, and push one strap down their arm saying "Foiled your plan". Him and I use it nowadays on the odd occasion when it fits and it doesn't quite have the same effect with both us being the only people to get the jist, guess the humour is lost during maturity. I also remember some odd kid (well it takes one to identify one really) from my school who thrust his waist back and forth with his hands in his pocket saying "The power of Christ compels you". I ponder if he still excites the crowd with that one today.

Anyways, mine are pretty random as I thought of the subject matter of the thread before I thought of what I could actually contribute myself so intrigue us with your own TWOites. Things parents and grandparents used to say to you can be added too I guess, I'll get my memory ticking myself for some.

I always loved stupid things that parents said:

I'll smack that smile onto the other side of your face. What? You're going to push my mouth around my face?

Are you deaf or something? If I was deaf I wouldnt be able to hear you.

Don't talk with your mouth full! If my mouth was FULL, then no sound could come out of it.

Enough is enough! Congratulations on working that out.

Going to a party? Who's going to be there? I'm not psychic you know.

I brought you into this world, and I can take you right back out! Quick, call the police, I'm be threatened that I'm going to be murdered.

If God had wanted you to have holes in your ears. He would have put them there! I have holes in my ears, how do you think I hear?

If you could stay out last night, you can get up this morning. Yet you tell me to get 8 hours of sleep?

I'm going to skin you alive! Aahhh, more threats of physical violence.

I'm not going to ask you again. Good, shut up already.

I'm not your waitress! No, I expect good service from a waitress. :D

No child of MINE would do something like that. But I just did.

Pick up your feet. But then I'll fall on my butt.

Put that down! You don't know where it's been! Yes I do, just where I'm picking it up from.

Shut your mouth and eat. How am I meant to get food into my mouth if it's closed?

Watch your mouth! I can't, my eyes aren't on stalks.

What did I say the FIRST time? I don't know, I wasn't around for your first words.

What if everyone jumped off a cliff? Would you do it, too? Well, I'd have a soft landing. :D

When I was your age, I had to walk ten miles through the snow, uphill, by myself, to go to school. And this is called PROGRESS.

Who taught you THAT? You didn't learn that in this house! That's why went go to school, to learn things.

Wipe your feet! But I can leave my shoes all dirty?

You can't find it? Well, where did you leave it last? If I knew that, I'd know where it is.

You can't start the day on an empty stomach. Erm, you HAVE to start the day on an empty stomach, unless someone is stuffing food down your throat during the night.

You're the oldest. You should know better. No, you're older than me.

Running away? Don't let the door hit you in the rear. But you said you loved me no matter what earlier, now you want me to leave? Make your mind up already.

I'll treat you like an adult when you start acting like one. What's wrong with being a Child at Heart?

If you don't clean your plate, you won't get any dessert. So I've got to wash up my plate before dessert?

I don't know is NOT an answer. Actually it is.

I said CLOSE the door, I did not say SLAM it. Slamming it IS closing it. :P

Cupcakes are NOT a breakfast food! All food eaten to break the fast is breakfast food.

Are you going out dressed like that? No, I'm going out naked.

I'm sure I can think of more. :P