Hogan vs. Austin: Million Dollar question here? WHY?

The Franchise

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is though, I doubt it will do huge numbers.

It will do the same as Hogan v HBK. Good, but nowhere near great. Hogan v Austin 6 years ago would have, but thats when both were in a lot better condition, and draws.

The match will probably suck, and booking and ego will no doubt determine who'll be heel and face. It won't matter who wins, because neither are on the main roster, and both will disappear once its over. Thus yeah it will be a nice spectacle, but if your expecting something earth shattering, you'll be majorly disappointed.

1) It's the ultimate dream match (IMO)

2) It will draw big numbers which will make Vince money

3) WWE think that the majority of fans will want to see it.

Should it happen? Hell no

Right just a quick post cos this thread is annoying me some what sso i feel i must now intervene with my opinion, and unfortunately RUTuffEnuff you are the man i want to quote (but i'm not picking on you, you just made a nice summary, all be it contradictary of itself. As the quote says, there are your three reasons. Read them, Read them again and now see and understand something. Everyone on here whinges about the booking of the wwe, myself included and yet with those three ponits above do you realise how utterly utterly stupid it would be NOT to book this match. IT IS the ultimate dream match, IT WILL draw and most people DO want to see it. Smarks etc whatever you want to call it please please understand that the wwe is not about pleasing you individually, it is a business and thus it does not ad should not appeal to the minority. If you want technical masterpieces we all know that the wwe is not the one to watch (with the exception of the odd match) If you want spectacle then it is and there is no bigger spectacle than the two biggest names going at it. I don't care if a leg drop would or would not realistically keep austin down, i don't care if a 50 year old man can hulk his way out of a stunner. The ONLY thing that matters is that if/when it happens every damn person in the arena, every damn person watching on tv will be marking out and on their feet, and you so called stupid wwe bookers would be on their feet too, walking to the bank with the biggest paycheck they've ever received.

And as captain chrisma said it is hardly their fault that they overshadow the entire wwe roster. they can hardly help it if the current champs pale into the background everytime they make a brief appearance. and again the wwe would be stupid if they didn't take advantage of that. Sure the booking is bad to create new talent but it would be the worst booking ever to pretend that Hogan and Austin don't overshadow them all.

Rant over. And once again please please try and see things objectively. Get away from the fact that you on't actually like hogan/austin, realise that if you want decent wrestling hogan vs austin isn't for you. Be bjective and realise it's the best decision, in fact it is the ONLY decision. If you can be objective it really makes things much simpler!

the HiTman

Telf you say that Hogan v HBK was well booked...how is that?...it all felt a bit pointless, rushed and far too forced. HBK is nothing compared to Hogan and in my opinion it shouldnt have been booked as another Icon v Icon match.

I do believe it wasnt Booked as a Icon vs Icon match. Hogan was booked as the Icon in that match, with HBK wanting to become the Icon.

And to answer the question WHY??? well RUTuffEnuff has done that. All his points show why this match will go ahead.

Right just a quick post cos this thread is annoying me some what sso i feel i must now intervene with my opinion, and unfortunately RUTuffEnuff you are the man i want to quote (but i'm not picking on you, you just made a nice summary, all be it contradictary of itself. As the quote says, there are your three reasons. Read them, Read them again and now see and understand something. Everyone on here whinges about the booking of the wwe, myself included and yet with those three ponits above do you realise how utterly utterly stupid it would be NOT to book this match. IT IS the ultimate dream match, IT WILL draw and most people DO want to see it. Smarks etc whatever you want to call it please please understand that the wwe is not about pleasing you individually, it is a business and thus it does not ad should not appeal to the minority. If you want technical masterpieces we all know that the wwe is not the one to watch (with the exception of the odd match) If you want spectacle then it is and there is no bigger spectacle than the two biggest names going at it. I don't care if a leg drop would or would not realistically keep austin down, i don't care if a 50 year old man can hulk his way out of a stunner. The ONLY thing that matters is that if/when it happens every damn person in the arena, every damn person watching on tv will be marking out and on their feet, and you so called stupid wwe bookers would be on their feet too, walking to the bank with the biggest paycheck they've ever received.

And as captain chrisma said it is hardly their fault that they overshadow the entire wwe roster. they can hardly help it if the current champs pale into the background everytime they make a brief appearance. and again the wwe would be stupid if they didn't take advantage of that. Sure the booking is bad to create new talent but it would be the worst booking ever to pretend that Hogan and Austin don't overshadow them all.

Rant over. And once again please please try and see things objectively. Get away from the fact that you on't actually like hogan/austin, realise that if you want decent wrestling hogan vs austin isn't for you. Be bjective and realise it's the best decision, in fact it is the ONLY decision. If you can be objective it really makes things much simpler!

I am being objective here (i know it wasn't aimed at me particularly but you did quote me, albeit slightly out of context there). I am more concerned with both guys health than whether Hogan kicks out of the Stunner or whether Austin lays down to the legdrop. With Hogan's hip and Austin's neck, this smells of an nightmare that no insurance company would touch with a competitor's policy. This is a match for wrestling boards to discuss and debate over and conversations to wage war over. Not for Vince and the writers to decide who should/will win (IMO). This should be everyone's dream match and probably is. And it should stay that way IMO. If they want to do a dream match, get talking to the Rock, pay him loads to come back for Mania and dance the dance with HBK. Let Hogan vs Austin be the stuff of dreams and avoid the nightmare scenario that one (or both) get permanently injured while lining Vince's pockets.

As for why Hogan and Austin outshine the rest of the roster, they gave you reasons to care about them. Hogan..........undefeatable regardless of the size of the enemy. Austin............anti-hero that was feuding with his boss (which we all wish we could do). The other roster members don't have that and the current writers can't think of a good reason for us to care/hate them.

If Hogan does the job i'll be happy.

I can imagine it now, Austin is pounding away at Hogan only for Hogan to do his shaking his head thing and when he points at Austin, Hogan gets the finger and then a stunner.

Which he wil lprobably sell aswell as Linda Mcmahon

1-2-3.

Then it will be worth it.

I do believe it wasnt Booked as a Icon vs Icon match. Hogan was booked as the Icon in that match, with HBK wanting to become the Icon.

And to answer the question WHY??? well RUTuffEnuff has done that. All his points show why this match will go ahead.

The promo clips had that man witht he deep voice going "The Icon" when HBK came on.

It was treated in a similar (not the same) way to Hogan-Rock.

Like many others, I think it's way too late for this match. I loved watching Hogan as a kid growing up and loved watching Austin as a college student smoking ..... materials. But neither wrestlers are active roster members and this smacks of the same type of nostalgia pandering that the Austin promo had Monday.

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching the WCW all over again. The WWE seems to be relying a lot on nostalgia and comebacks to line its pockets lately than developing the future talent. I'm waiting for Ray Lewis to show up ala Reggie White in the WCW. Though I can't say who the future is for the WWE either, so maybe that's part of the problem.

The bottom line (if you'll excuse the euphamism) is that all this match does is serve to remind me of how old I am.

Im looking forward to this match as im a mark for both wrestlers in this Dream Match, and i will be paying to see it when it happens, hopefully at Wrestlemania and im not realy bothered who wins.

But i just cant understand all the moaning about this match?

For Gods sake!! its only gonna be a 20min match on a 3hour show theres no need for people to bitch saying "i hate Hogan, Austins cant wrestle etc.."

If you hate them that much then simply just dont watch it, instead of moaning about it, thats what i do with a Cena match or a Calito match, but you never see me moaning about it, i just switch channels or go for something to eat

But when this Match happens, its going to overshadow the rest of the event without a doubt, especialy to the casual fans/marks and thats why its going to happen and be a big draw, make the fans happy and make Vince alot of money.

I highly doubt the match will happen. can austin still even wrestle? it's obvious hogan cant
Every time Hogan wrestles in a big match situation, he puts on a great show, so I dont understand why people say he can no longer work.

He had good to great matches with HBK and Angle, they both carried him you say? How about Vince? He had a damn fine match with Vince, and Vince certainly didnt carry him. He had good matches with Brock, HHH and so on aswell.

I'm sure that come WrestleMania, with it probably getting main event top billing, both Hogan and Austin will have their game faces on and pull out all the stops to put on a memorable spectacle.

All the non-believers have been proven wrong time and time again when bashing Hogan and assuming his matches will suck ass before they happen like with Rock and with HBK, this will simply be another example of that.

I'd be suprised if it does happen.Austin doesn't have the same passion for wrestling as he used to,also he's not a big fan of hogan and wont be interesed in jobbing to him.

Also i read somewhere that austin's afraid that he'll get the same treatment that the Rock got at wrestlemania 18 when he faced hogan where the fans booed Rock for most of the match.

If Hogan does the job i'll be happy.

I can imagine it now, Austin is pounding away at Hogan only for Hogan to do his shaking his head thing and when he points at Austin, Hogan gets the finger and then a stunner.

Which he wil lprobably sell aswell as Linda Mcmahon

1-2-3.

Then it will be worth it.

2 things wrong with that.

1. Hogan wont do the job!

2. Hogan cant sell like Linda Mcmahon

I just want to say that this is really the last real "Dream" match left that can still realistically occur.

Yeah, i agree what other "dream" matches can we see, maybe a gimmick infringement match between eugene and Dustin Hoffmans character from the film Rain Man.

I'm sure that come WrestleMania, with it probably getting main event top billing, both Hogan and Austin will have their game faces on and pull out all the stops to put on a memorable spectacle.

i'm not sure about main event...

if the title match is cena i hope it is or the smackdown match is...

if it is HHH, or Kurt, or HBK or a great smackdown match focus on those.. WWE needs to build for the future

bit of an exxageration there mr p

na im being deadly serious, course its an exxageration. :lol

PPV's he jobbed to

WMX8 - The Rock

Judgement Day - The Undertaker

KOTR - Kurt Angle

Vengeance - Billy & Chuck

and thats just on PPV's.

na im being deadly serious, course its an exxageration. :lol

PPV's he jobbed to

WMX8 - The Rock

Judgement Day - The Undertaker