Keegan Leaves City :(

Goldy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/4338665.stm

City manager Keegan 'leaves club'

Manchester City manager Kevin Keegan has parted company with the Premiership club, reports BBC Radio Five Live.

Stuart Pearce is expected to take temporary charge of first-team affairs and a full statement is expected from the club on Friday.

Keegan took over as City manager on 24 May 2001 and his current deal is due to expire at the end of next season.

City lost their last game 1-0 at home to Bolton on Monday, a result that saw the team slip to 12th in the table.

The defeat was a blow to City's hopes of winning a place in Europe next season.

After the defeat against Bolton Keegan said: "We've got a history of not building on good situations.

"We could have jumped into he European shake-up, again we couldn't make that leap.

"That's seven or eight times in a year we could have jumped into something good for this club and we've failed."

City lost to Oldham in this season's FA Cup and were knocked out of the Carling Cup by an under-strength Arsenal team.

After taking over at the club, Keegan guided the team to the old Division One championship title.

The clubs' return to the Premiership saw Keegan sign some high-profile players, such as Nicolas Anelka and Robbie and Fowler.

City finished in the top half of the table and qualified for the Uefa Cup thanks to their excellent disciplinary record.

But last season the former England boss announced his intention to quit when his contract expires amid speculation that he would not last.

I'm really surprised this has happened now and not at the end of the season, can't help but feel really dissapointed as well :( Bye Kev, thanks for the promotion, thanks for everything.

I didn't think he'd see the season out. His reputation for handling pressure isn't exactly great.

I don't really feel he's under any pressure. Sure we aren't playing that great, but we're safe! There's no threat of relegation for once.. I think it'll be something to do with the board here, be interesting to see tomorrows press statement :)

I belive that keegan has done a decent job at City.

He has guided them from Division 1 promotion hopefulls to cementing there place in the premiership and even helping them into Europe last season.

i always thought that he would be a stop gap for ity, and i belive that they now have to look forward to better things. It will be intresting to see who City install as new commander in cheif.

No way will Martin O'Neil go to Man City. He's desperate to go to the other Manchester team, and I've got a feeling that he's wanted by them when Ferguson steps down. With Sir Alex's future in doubt just about every year, you don't need to be a genius to realise that O'Neil only signs rolling contracts every year at Celtic so he can take over at United the second that Fergie leaves the post.

Pearce or Strachan would be good picks for the job, but once again a manager who lets everyone know that he's leaving a club is gone before his time. When was the last time a manager said "I'm leaving on a certain date in the future", and stuck to it?

Yeah, that was Keegans downfall. Stuart Pearce is our manager now, not acting manager apparently, yeah right..... I wish him all the best, but i'm not to confident as we have SWP out at the moment and a very limited squad for him to succeed with.

What Inno said about Keegan's bottle. I haven't heard O'Neill linked with the job, although I do find it amusing that when anyone bigger than Aldershot gets rid of their manager in England, people assume that one click of the fingers will have Martin O'Neill running away from Celtic faster than a Roberto Carlos free-kick. If it were Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea or maybe Liverpool then I'm sure he would, but other than that there's no appeal really as he won't get to challenge for the title or the prospect of continued Champions' League chances. I suppose it makes sense to change now, since they're not threatened by relegation and can afford to give Pearce some time to settle rather than him not having any time until the pre-season to get used to things.

In a way it's proably fro the best that Keegan left now. I feel he has probably taken Man City as far as he can. He got them back into the prem, and has established them back there, but i honestly feel that that's as far as City could have got under him. So, it's for the best that he's left now, so that he can leave with fans still remebering the good things he did, without things turning sour before his departure.

Archived