• vs David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
    • Eva Cassidy
    • vs Chris Martin (Coldplay)
    • John Tardy (Obituary)
    • vs David Coverdale (Whitesnake)
    • Madonna
    • vs Snoop Dogg

Hey there,

This is the other half of the round of 64 and it will work in a similar way. In pairs, the first of the pair in bold, the second of a pair with 'vs' before their names. Pick who you prefer from each pair or if you can't or don't want to choose between a pair you can leave that pair without a selection.

This poll will last eight days, like the other one.

The matches are:

Talib Kweli vs Bono (U2)

Jay-Z vs Aaliyah

Nas vs Ol' Dirty B******

Ice Cube vs Janet Jackson

Eazy E vs Redman

Nate Dogg vs Cannibis

LL Cool J vs Dean Martin

Big Punisher vs Ludacris

Lemmy (Motörhead) vs Frank Sinatra

Phil Anselmo (Pantera) vs Feargal Sharkey (The Undertones)

Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) vs Thom Yorke (Radiohead)

Beyoncé (Destiny’s Child) vs Roy Orbison

Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day) vs David Lee Roth (Van Halen)

Eva Cassidy vs Chris Martin (Coldplay)

John Tardy (Obituary) vs David Coverdale (Whitesnake)

Madonna vs Snoop Dogg

As I say, you have eight days to choose, so this will last until Wednesday week. :)

Hmm... I see country, folk and more have been left out. A bit of a shame. Also saddened that my three favourite vocalists of all time (Jon Davis, Axl Rose and Ryan McCombs) have been left off, as well as Celion Dion, who I'd consider to be an amazing vocalist. But n/m.

I will have voted by the time you've read this :)

Should have nominated them then!

I did mean to include Axl and Kenny Rogers, I even thought about Ryan from Soil, but hey, you remember these things after the event and there are only 64 places with people's suggestions taking up most of them.

Just put it down to experience I suppose.

It's a thread on page 2 called 'So here's an idea...' that I started. It'll be bumped once the guitarist poll is up for starting as I'll be doing that next. Hardly anyone made suggestions though, so maybe I should have started a new thread for it. Possibly my bad again, like much of the rest of today! :P

Again i have only voted in a few of the pairings. The first was Jay Z vs Aaliyah, and i chose the Jigga. Jay has released countless albums full of brilliant tracks, all of which make you listen and take notice. Even his Best Of Both Worlds efforts with R-Kelly were top of the pile, and Aaliyah just didnt get that far, although i think she could have if her life hadn't of ended so prematurely.

Janet Jackson gets the nod over Ice Cube, as she is just so much better than him. Forget the contraversies surrounding her or her family, and concentrate on her musical talents over the years and you will see why she has lasted so long. She has the ability and talent to move away from Michael's shadow, but he is never out of the spotlight so she cant quite do it.

What can i say about Nate Dogg? The man is pure gold, it seems that as long as he is on an album, it will sell. Nate adds funk to every track he appears on, his voice is unmistakable and sounds great, and the man towers over Cannibis.

Dean Martin was chosen over LL Cool J, as Deano was one of the best during his prime. Along with Sammy Davis Jnr and Frank Sinatra he was a part of the Rat Pack revolution that changed the way people listened to music. Dean Martin is a legend, and his voal prowess is just so much better than "Cool James".

Frank Sinatra gets my vote over Lemmy, see the reasons for Dean Martin.

David Lee Roth of Van Halen just edges my vote over Billie Joe. I think he and his band were under appreciatted and Roth was a wonderous vocalist, Billie Joe is just not on his level. Green Day are a good band, but the vocal range is very limited IMO.

I'm interested to see David Lee Roth lagging behind Billie Joe Armstrong and the close thing between Ian Gillan and Thom Yorke.

I'm surprised at the first a little bit as for singing I think Diamond Dave wins hands down but then I would say that. Anyone too young to be familiar with him should do themselves a favour and check him out - don't take my word for it - just get the first Van Halen album. Just the first one - that's all you have to do. It's called 'Van Halen'. Clever. You can get it on the cheap nowadays. I'm not saying there's nothing to Green Day, but just on singing, like Alan says, I think David Lee Roth has to have the advantage.

There's Ian Gillan after that - for him, just get the Deep Purple In Rock album and play 'Child In Time'. Alternatively if you get the Machine Head 25th anniversary edition album just play 'When A Blind Man Cries'. It is very close though, I thought Yorke would be walking it already but that hasn't happened yet which is interesting.

I was also interested to see if John Tardy would get some respectability, I would have voted for him, but he was put with David Coverdale. David Coverdale kicks bottom whether it's his gravel tone or his blatant Robert Plant impersonation, so I had to vote for him.

Talib Kweli (Kweli is far better than a lot of musicians but wont get many votes, which is a shame)

Jay-Z

Nas

Ice Cube

Eazy E (deserves to beat Redman)

Nate Dogg

Dean Martin

Big Punisher

Frank Sinatra

Phil Anselmo (Pantera)

Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)

Beyoncé (Destiny’s Child)

Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day)

Eva Cassidy

David Coverdale (Whitesnake)

Snoop Dogg

Just thought I would tell you who I chose.

first up was Nate Dogg, in my eyes the best hip hop artist there is. He adds soul and funk to anything he does.

secondly Ludacris, an excellent rapper, great at what he does

Billy Joe and greenday have done some great tracks, I chose him because of this. personally i believe their older tracks are better over all good

My last choice was Snoop dogg, i only chose him because who wouldnt.

Archived