Grand Prix Fighting Chance

Taki

At long last Grand Prix racing has given all drivers a chance to win if they have the balls to take it.

New rules include:

Same Tyres all race (unless wheather changes)

Two Race engine usage again with a stipulation but im not sure what.

Watching the Grand Prix today and seeing Michael Schumacher in 10th place behind drivers who would normally be at the back was brilliant, seeing him try to squeeze out another driver and ending up taking himself out of the race was even better.

So who thinks the new rules are a step too far just to combat one driver constantly leading or is it something that should have been done years ago?

xXx

How can making the sport competitive be a step to far? Grand Prix has been dieing on its ass for years now thanks to Ferrari's and Schumachers dominance. It can only be a good thing for the sport.

There is nothing interesting about seeing the championship over after 10 races.

Its not a step too far at all, after watching this weekend's race i am confident that the decisions made were the right ones, and the championship should be very exciting this year. If every race has the kind of topsy-turvy grid that was shown in Australia then great stuff. For once i applaud the FIA and the Formula One guvnors for putting it together this way, and i look forward to a long and close season.

i felt really sorry for massa in Q1 when he came out on slicks and it instantly started chucking it down lol

as for the rules i think that the tires rule may well turn out to be putting the drivers in danger plus i would expect ALOT of engine failures next race as they have admitted the engines are not yet made to handle the stresses

I think that like in Brazil 2003 the weather was the big decider here, not the format. The new one tyre rule benefits the team who do the most tyre testing..which would be Ferrari, so its not really going to hurt their dominence. Similarly the new engine rules benefit the team who can do the most engine testing..this would be Ferrari. Really if the wanted closer racing they should have banned refueling, after all its since they bought that rule in that we have seen less and less over taking, after all if your following a driver then why try and overtake when you can just take on a little less fuel and beat him in the pits. Overall i thought the race was alright, nothing special thou.

The race was abmissmal I have to say. Sure its great to have someone else winning and Schumacher out etc but lets face it, people now are too concerned with keeping their engines in check and tyres to the end of the race. Its become slow, theres not much over taking and it was just genuinly boring. the new qualifying system is awful. One lap qualifying was brilliant in my opinion. It means you really had to try and push the car to the edge to get front row and that if you made one simple mistake it would ruin your entire weekend. Now we dont know where we stand until the race itself which annoys me.

Im a massive fan of Formula One. Ive been watching since the days of Senna and Prost in the old McLarens, and Ive stuck with it ever since but I honestly dont believe the new changes to the cars and the rules is making the sport any more interesting at all. Last year, Schumacher ruined F1, i'll be blunt about it, but even with Schumacher winning most the races, there were some great races and great fights taking place on the track. Theres been none of that yet. Melbourne always is the most unpredictable race of the year, because the cars are getting their first race, new drivers, unforeseen conditions etc. And its usually amazing. This year it was dull and uninspiring. I seriously hope that the rest of the f1 year improves or Im seriously going to question my commitment to the sport

For goodness sake Fletch, it's only been 1 race!

How can you judge anything, like the rule changes, after 1 race?

Jesus I've heard of being overly pessmistic, but that's ridiculous.

Who knows if the rules will change. Personally it's doubtful, simply because Ferrari have everything in the favour. They earn more money, get given more by the FIA, and are deemed as more important, thus why that's always there, they'll always win, thus being why the other teams at the moment, want to to form a breakaway championship come 2008.

But blimey Fletch, calm down, barely anything's happened yet, and you've already made your mind up. Would be like watching a footy game for 5 minutes, and going "no this will be rubbish, I'm off"

And how can you call a torrential down pour in qualifying, Schumacher crashing and going out, and Fisichella being the first winner of the season, boring and uninspiring?

I guess we'll go back to Schumacher being 2 seconds in front of everyone's lap times like last year, and winning it in a stroll, cause that's so much better for the sport.

If the races are more interesting then Im all for Schumacher walking every race, and I absolutely despise the guy. I can easily judge the new format from one race going on past experience. Im not saying it wont get better. in fact at the end of my post i said I hope it does get better.

But I didnt find anything about the race at all interesting. Fischella didnt need to push hard, hardly any over taking. Less pit strategy. The only thing that was remotely interesting was that BAR were very clever at the end brining in both cars so they could get a free engine change without being penalised

"I can easily judge the new format from one race going on past experience"

What the hell does past experience have to do with judging a new format? Its a new format, thus you can't judge in ther slightest. Past experience wasn't the new format, thus it doesnt have anything to do with it. You can't judge after one race.

"I can easily judge the new format from one race going on past experience"

What the hell does past experience have to do with judging a new format? Its a new format, thus you can't judge in ther slightest. Past experience wasn't the new format, thus it doesnt have anything to do with it. You can't judge after one race.

No No you've misunderstood. I can judge the new format by comparing with the older formats. Thus being the way we can judge anything at all.

The old races were boring "and there they go" "and schumacher takes the lead by the first conrner" "schumacher wins AGAIN" it became predictable, i was jumping round like a clown yesterday when he went off, yeah ok he was in 10th with little hope of winning but still ha ha i was ecstatic.

As for a slow race thats exactly what I was expecting because all the teams would want to assess tyre wear before throwing in a fast paced race and blowing out by lap 30.

xXx

I found F1 boring ever since Damon Hill retired, and after one race, I find it worse to be honest. Just being one race doesn't mean sh*t. If you hear a song first time and you don't like it, you don't like it, simple as. Sure it can grow on you, but you still have that first impression, which counts more than ANYTHING these days.

I miss the good ol' days to be honest. Right now, I find myself more interested with the rally cars and such (not that I'm a huge sports person).

it was nice to have a different winner, but you would hardly call the race exciting. I dont really care who wins a race so long as they have had a decent scrap with another driver for a lead. I miss the 1998-1999 days when Hakkinen and Schumacher would be going at it tooth and nail for the lead, actually overtaking or at least having a go at overtaking each other. Sure it was nice to see Fisechella win, but as he said so himself in the press conference after, it was so easy, he hardly had to push himself, and there werent any close scraps further down the field either.

Well I have been turning off F1 for a couple of years now, but this weeks Australian GP has got me interested again. Ok the weather played it's part but we had a more than interesting grid which would allow us to see who really was a good driver.

It reminded me of an early 1990's race before refuelling was allowed. People would be conservative up until the last 10-15 laps and then everyone would go for it. I think the FIA have done a good job here and will now carry on watching in th hope that the season carries on being interesting.