Best league in the world??

The English Premier league.

ALthough some may argue with me because the champions of England do not win European trophies season after season, but it is the competitiveness of the league that makes it the best in the world and of course, the fans.

Although I do think that something should be done with regards to certain financial revenue and television monies being shared out equally between all clubs, as opposed to the top 3 or 4 clubs taking the majority.

Unless the above happens, the Premier league will become just like the SPL with just a few teams able to win the league because of their financial backing.

The English Premier league.

ALthough some may argue with me because the champions of England do not win European trophies season after season, but it is the competitiveness of the league that makes it the best in the world and of course, the fans.

Although I do think that something should be done with regards to certain financial revenue and television monies being shared out equally between all clubs, as opposed to the top 3 or 4 clubs taking the majority.

Unless the above happens, the Premier league will become just like the SPL with just a few teams able to win the league because of their financial backing.

Only a few teams are able to win the title now 3 to be exact lol.

Look at teams like Everton, though.

Nobody would have thought they would have been in the top four heading into March.

And Chelsea would not be in the top three if their Russian friend hadn't invested in the players he has. Oh and Mourinho.

In my opinion they are a number of teams who could have the opportunity to challenge for the Premiership - Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle and Aston Villa.

Let me elaborate on my choices - Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea for obvious reasons, good managers and quality players and in Utd and Chelsea's case, financial backing.

Spurs, Villa and Newcastle are great 'business clubs' who make a lot of money, in particular spurs who are one of the top 20 riches clubs in the world. Villa and Spurs have great managers in O'Leary and Jol. Spurs need to spend money however and DOug Ellis needs to get his chequebook out. Newcastle have a good team but their problem is stability. They need to stick with a manager (and should have stayed with Sir Bob) although Souness is not the answer.

Liverpool are a massive club with a massive fan base. Their problems are also in management and poor purchases.

But if revenue is not shared out equally, Liverpool, Newcastle, Villa and Spurs will never even have the oppertunity to challenge fot the title, and teams promoted from the Championship will be relegated after just one season.

Arsenal also look on the decline. They have no money as it was all invested in that stadium, no youth set up that involves any British players and the players don't want to play for them anymore - Ashley Cole.

I personally think the Spanish league is the best, followed by Serie A, then probably the Premiership, although the Bundesliga isn't inferior in many ways I think there's a bit more quality all-round in England. I don't think the Premiership is all that great, as has been said only three teams can win, sure Everton did well this year but there's always a random factor like Charlton not so long ago or Leeds, which being honest isn't much different from Hearts being the third team in Scotland and then Hibs taking it from them, in the sense that it's all random and inconsistent. They might do well, but you know they'll never actually win and that they might well be at the bottom end of the table the next again season. For entertainment the Premiership has actually been below par this season as the title was basically decided by about Christmas. Newcastle and Spurs will never win the Premiership unless they get an Abramovich themselves and in the case of Newcastle, you'll have to blast Freddy Shepherd out of the boardroom with dynamite so that won't happen.

The Premiership is a fantastic league, unlike the SPL. However, it's not statistically all that different in terms of how things work out and I do think it is overrated here, just like the Spanish league is talked about like it's the only league that counts in Spain, for instance. I would say though that between Spain, Italy and England, their leagues all have the potential to surpass each other. I just see it as Spain and Italy being ahead for the present time.

To be fair in every league, there is only realistically about 3 teams who can win the league. Of course, who those 3 are does indeed rotate. Personally I think the Premiership is the best, simply because it has the most variety. We can have fast flowing beautiful football, long ball style, hard nosed British style games, and that contintental style like Italy and Spain. It's the most versatile for me. While I do like Spanish and Italian football, it's only usually one style, one type of play, same type of players, and just doesn't have the dynamics that the Premiership offers.

I'm sticking by my point that a number of teams can have the opportunity to challenge for the Premiership.

However, I do agree that only three teams can win the premiership at anyone time, but these three teams do rotate:

Not so long ago, it was Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. Before that Newcastle, Man Utd and Liverpool, Before that Leeds, Man Utd and Arsenal and now, Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Taking MLM's points on board Siere A is a fantastic league and if I could compare the premiership to any one league it would be siere A.

Yeah sorry, because of course it depends what you mean by best. If it's favourite then of course for most people that would be the English top division. I find it a bit of a curious thing that the club games can have a lot going on in them, then when you watch England internationally as a neutral, they're nearly always incredibly boring. I think I'd enjoy wathcing the telly when it's switched off more than I would that Netherlands match they played recently. For best quality though, I'm just a bit of a sceptic by nature and in the case of title challenges no team has proven the scpetical viewpoint wrong. You hear Alan Hansen and others touting Liverpool and Tottenham as massive clubs capable of challenging for the title, Newcastle as well, but other than Newcastle bottling it in 1996 they've never really been in any danger of actually winning it really, while Liverpool and Tottenham haven't even come close to mounting a genuinely serious title challenge with lasting momentum. Liverpool are still just now in the annual cycle of seeing if they can nick fourth place towards the end of the season despite Benítez coming in and Morientes oddly enough.

For the rotation thing, Blackburn and Chelsea did it the same way, throw money at it until it happens, otherwise it's basically Manchester United or sometimes Arsenal. In Serie A there are potentially more winners, with AC, Inter, Juventus, Lazio and Roma, then in Spain Valencia are the title holders, Barcelona are coming back, Real Madrid and Deportivo have also been winners in recent years, so there is a bit more variety I think - Real Sociedad even nearly won it a couple of seasons ago if you remember. It's amazing what sacking John Toshack can do for a team!

I do however think that Chelsea have as good a chance as anyone of winning the Champions' League this year, which would go a long way to backing claims that the Premiership matches up to the Spanish and Italian leagues. If you merged the three of them, the standard probably wouldn't be much different, something I don't think you could have said ten years ago when English and Spanish teams were always getting diddled by the Italians in Europe along with everyone else.

I'm gonna plump for the Premiership. I just find it the most exciting and high tempo league to watch. Maybe technically Spainish and Italian leagues offer better quality games but in terms of sheer excitement, can't beat the premiership. :thumbsup