Joey - Friends Spin Off

Chris Benoit

I can't enjoy this at all. There was barely any set up in the last episodes of Friends for the spin-off show, which annoyed me. The first few minutes of the first episode were like "Ah, now I am in LA, where I have moved to seek work, just as sure as my name is Joey Tribiani, you're my sister and this person is my nephew". Filling plot holes within seconds of the series starting was not a good way to appeal to me.

ย 

I also find it hard to believe that apart from one passing reference to Chandler, Joey's entire life from New York has just been dumped. We're meant to be believe that Joey's been around his 5 friends for 10 years, yet they're forgotten about as soon as he moves in with his sister? That's right, his blonde sister, despite the fact that every one of Joey's sisters shown in Friends had black hair. I realise that hair can be dyed, but little things like that make Friends fans feel like this is a cheap cash in without the heart of the original.

ย 

The laughs are on par with the final series of Friends, meaning that it's funny, but not hilarious. I'm also a bit disapointed by Channel 5's crappy timeslot for the show. 8pm on a Sunday? It should have taken over the Friends timeslot of 9pm on a Thursday, because Friends, and therefore Joey, are shows with adult themes. Pretty much every episode of Friends and Joey have had references to sex. I can only imagine that Five will be editing out a lot of the riskier stuff as time goes on, due to the pre-watershed timeslot.

ย 

I also hate the music. And most of the supporting cast. But I'll continue to watch, because I feel like I can't miss Joey Tribiani. The guy is a TV legend, in my eyes. Even if his show stinks, I can still get the odd laugh from Matt LeBlanc's brilliant performance with a decent script.

I pretty much agree with Russ. I loved Friends, and I thought the first 2 episodes of Joey were pretty good. Just dont compare it to the first series of Friends. The difference in quality is embarrasing. I'll give it time, because Matt Le Blanc is terrific in it, and there are some good moments, but Fraiser it aint. Besides, I always thought Phoebe was the best character for a spin off.

The one thing that annoys me about this is people saying "Well it's not Friends". Exactly it can't compare because Friends was a group dynamic and Joey will take time to settle. Think of Frasier to Cheers, no-one gave that a chance and look how it turned out. Just give it time Bubs.

I was never a big fan of freinds, i only ever watched it if someone else was watching it in the front room. But from watching it i did notice that the best characters were Joey and Chandler, and a spin-off involving either of them should be great. So i sat down to watch Joey, and i was mildly impressed. Although some of the laughs are a bit tame, it makes me laugh and i enjoy it.

The supporting cast are not that great, i mean his sister looks and sounds sickening, the next door neighbour is pathetic and seems out of place, but his nephew is a good addition i believe. Giving Joey someone to "train-up" is a good idea, and it will work in the long run, trust me :xyx

The thing is it seem to has a few standard sitcopm gags/emotinal speeches that I've just heard a million tims before. Sure it's funny, but it's just not fresh if you know what I mean. Without Joey in it (and by that I mean Matt Le Blancs performance as well as the actual character) and the Friends Connection, it would be so much worse and probably be cancelled after 20 minutes of the first show. Still I do think the nephew is a decent character, and It'll peobably be better. But I still say a Phoebe spinoff would have rocked. Or a prequal series! Now theres an idea.

Oh god lol... this annoys me... Friends sucks and Joey.. ARGHH!!! I could never.. and I mean never.. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER watch this or Joey' date=' I never did, I never will, and I never plan to! :P *RKO's Joey* :P[/quote']

ย 

Totally agreed! I watched friends when i was 12 for jennifer aniston and some of chandlers funny comments. But then I realised how clean cut and hyperactive the characters were.

Archived