Bret Hart talks about Hulk Hogan - 2002

The Beltster

This was cool.

Bret Hart’s Calgary Sun Column

June 8, 2002

Hulk Hogan.

He hasn’t changed a whole heck of a lot from the way he was the first time I met him back in ‘79.

The first time I met Terry Bollea we were both working for Georgia Championship Wrestling, which eventually evolved into the WCW.

Back then he was known as Sterling Golden. He was very green . And very impressive. On the day I left Atlanta to come home I knocked on his door to say good bye and told him if he ever wanted to learn to wrestle he was welcome to come up and work for my dad any time. He thanked me, and meant it, saying he’d keep it in mind.

The next time I saw him was in Japan. He’d just shot his cameo for the Rocky III movie and was on the verge of mega - stardom that nobody could have even begun to imagine.

Still the same guy.

When I started with the WWF, in August of ‘84, he was on his way to being , without question, the biggest name in the history of wrestling.

I can remember, even during the glory days of Hulkamania, how Terry would come into the dressing room and say hi to every single wrestler. Every night he headlined there was a sell out and throughout the night all the wrestlers would come up to him and whoever his opponent was and thank them both for the house, for putting food on their tables and making wrestling something worth respecting.

I can say that Hulk Hogan was not only a hero to millions of Hulkamaniacs, but to all the wrestlers too.

If Vince McMahon was Julius Caesar, then Hulk Hogan was Alexander the Great.

I remember one time at an airport, in about 1987, when Hulk signed one autograph after another to the point where it took him 45 minutes to get to the gate. They were closing the doors as he was boarding the plane and this one fan asked him for his autograph. He said apologetically, “I’m sorry, I can’t, I’m gonna miss my flight ...” and he got on the plane. I was right behind him and I heard a bystander flippantly remark, “Just like I figured. I always thought he was a jerk.” I thought to myself, that person has no idea how many autographs he just signed. Being a hero like Hulk Hogan it’s hard to make everybody happy but for a guy that’s been wrestling as long as he has he’s certainly done a heck of a job.

Hulk was especially considerate of me when I joined him in the WCW.

I saw him a few days ago at Davey’s funeral and despite the sad backdrop it was nice to catch up on things.

So then I opened up my paper and saw a picture of Hulk, taken in Calgary, with a fifteen year old girl named Amanda Marqniq who dreams of being a pro wrestler but needed a heart transplant.

It brought back what I remember most about Hulk Hogan, even more than his feats as a great wrestler. The countless times the office came to get him from the dressing room to make the wish of a sick or dying child come true. Despite the fact that he was pulled in too many different directions and had little time for himself or his family, Hulk always had all the time in the world for kids who needed him to be their hero. He somehow knew just the right things to say. It was never a burden to him. If anything, it gave him a sense of real purpose. I’ve always tried to follow his example.

In Friday’s paper I read how Amanda has now gotten her new heart. I thought I might just give Hulk a call and let him know. He’d be happy to hear that.

Some things in wrestling have always been real and Hulk Hogan is one of them.

That's lovely beltmark' date=' but not to be rude, what's the point?[/quote']

Does there have to be a point?

I'm just posting it for anybody, either Bret or Hogan marks, who have never read it, to have a chance to do so.

Would you prefer another useless poll? Or maybe another "I hate HHH" thread?

The point is,, if there has to be one, I thought it was a cool article, and I'm sure there are other people here who are fans of one or both guys who will enjoy reading it too.

Okay, well Bret misses out what a scheming, devious politican Hogan was especially in WCW but the man is a wrestling legend and deserves praise

Okay' date=' well Bret misses out what a scheming, devious politican Hogan was especially in WCW but the man is a wrestling legend and deserves praise[/quote']

EVERY wrestler who has ever been sucessful in wrestling has used politics, including Hart. Because Hogan is a politician, doesnt take away from the fact he is a nice man and good to the fans and the kids.

HBK was a terrible politician in the WWF from 1995 - 1997, but he was always golden to the fans.

People put too much stock into how the wrestlers behave behind the scenes. Wrestling is a business, its their jobs, to be a sucessful businessman you have to be ruthless. Its not just that way in wrestling, but in ALL businesses.

Funny, you never hear about how much of a politician football/soccer players are when they hold out for more money or threaten to sign with another team.

I think people need to just chill out on all this "Oh, he was a backstage politician!" crap all the time.

The fact is, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, HHH, HBK, Steve Austin, Undertaker etc are ALL backstage politicians, and none are any better or worse than the rest, but I have never heard of any of them shitting on the fans, and if they treat you well, you shouldnt be concerned with how they conduct themselves when they are at work, at their JOB.

I have been guilty of getting on HHH's case for his backstage stuff, but thinking about it, I'm no longer going to do it. Because its something nobody can control but the people in charge.

Wrestling has been full of politics since it started. Bob Backlund refused to drop the WWF title to Hulk Hogan in 1984, thats why he dropped it to the Shiek first, but nobody ever talks about those politics because the internet wasnt around to make all the smarks believe they are behind the curtain.

I never denied Hogan was the only one but he certainly took it to extremes! He was a mjor part of the reason WCW fell apart.

Theres no question he was good to the fans but was this because he was a geniunely nice person or was it because he new they were the key to his fame and his precious money? No one knows.

I never denied Hogan was the only one but he certainly took it to extremes! He was a mjor part of the reason WCW fell apart.

Theres no question he was good to the fans but was this because he was a geniunely nice person or was it because he new they were the key to his fame and his precious money? No one knows.

He was a genuinly nice guy. I have several friends who have met him, not at events, not at autograph signings or anything like that, just either at the dock in Tampa, in his wife's restaurant etc, and they have all said he is a very nice guy.

As a matter of fact, I have never heard a single person ever say he was a jerk or a bad person in my entire life.

I remember reading one story, I dont recall who wrote it, saying when Hogan was a heel in the nWo and was told by WCW top brass to act like a heel away from the ring too, he couldnt. Kids would come upto him in airports or in the street and he would treat them like gold even when he was the top heel in the entire World in 1996 - 1998 etc.

Even if people hate Hogan for his backstage ways or hate him for his in-ring performances, I think you still need to give the man credit for being a nice person and for being a genuine guy to the public. He deserves that much, at least.

I wasn't really bothered, I just didn't get the point. It's not current news, nor relating to anything current, like a "i hate hhh" thread. I'm sure Bret does respect Hogan. Most guys respect him for what he's done for wrestling, although many have the same bitterness about his selfishness, but same can be said for Bret, Flair, HBK etc as beltmark said.

I dunno it to me, just seemed like a thread to prove a point, and show everyone how great Hogan is. Thats all.

"As a matter of fact, I have never heard a single person ever say he was a jerk or a bad person in my entire life."

Lol there's no way that can be true, unless you read very little wrestling related material. It's not too difficult to find people who dislike him, and think he's a jerk.

"As a matter of fact, I have never heard a single person ever say he was a jerk or a bad person in my entire life."

Lol there's no way that can be true, unless you read very little wrestling related material. It's not too difficult to find people who dislike him, and think he's a jerk.

Agreed! Try the entire WCW roster at the time he was taking it under (bar the friends he brought in that helped him do it). They had to be nice to Hogan although in the WWF as if they dared do anything wrong he'd see it that they were fired

I'm talking about fans, marks, smarks etc, not wrestlers, promoters and dirtsheet writers.

Like I said, I'm sure a TON of people hate Hogan within wrestling for the way he acts when he is at work, but that doesnt mean he isnt a genuinly nice man, in person, AWAY from the business and that is the point I'm making.

I'm not including people who work within wrestling.

Agreed! Try the entire WCW roster at the time he was taking it under (bar the friends he brought in that helped him do it). They had to be nice to Hogan although in the WWF as if they dared do anything wrong he'd see it that they were fired

Read my post above, I wasnt talking about people within the industry, I'm talking about how he treats fans and people away from wrestling. Nobody has ever said a bad word about him in that context, that I have ever heard.

As for Hogan seeing to it people were fired, like who? Who did Hogan ever get fired? I dont remember him getting people fired at all. Present proof, or at least back up you're claims, I'd be interested to learn about that.

I dunno it to me' date=' just seemed like a thread to prove a point, and show everyone how great Hogan is. Thats all.[/quote']

No not at all. I have nop point to prove, I was just trying to show that, at a time when Hogan and Bret marks are fighting on an internet forum, its silly because the two guys we fight about actually get along fine.

I am just laughing at the irony there.

As for it not being about current news and current events, neither are thread where we discuss old WrestleManias and old wrestlers etc...if you want to speak only of current events, it would suck because right now, there isnt much interesting going on in wrestling, sadly.

Read my post above, I wasnt talking about people within the industry, I'm talking about how he treats fans and people away from wrestling. Nobody has ever said a bad word about him in that context, that I have ever heard.

As for Hogan seeing to it people were fired, like who? Who did Hogan ever get fired? I dont remember him getting people fired at all. Present proof, or at least back up you're claims, I'd be interested to learn about that.

Okay......

Point one....of course he wants to project a good image of himself to the fans and public..after all if it wasnt for them he wouldnt be anybody. They are his paycheck!

Point two....I didnt say he had gotten anyone fired I said people would fear he would. Vince needed Hogan and if Hogan went in and said 'Wrestler X has been a real pain bla bla bla. I dont want him around anymore'. Vince would have taken action. If it was some low card guy he might have sacked him. If Hogan threatened to leave because of another worker he would have sacked that other worker no doubt. All I am saying is that in the locker room people would dare not have said anything bad about the Bosses best friend. Im sure at some point he did have something to with the release of some talent in WCw or WWF

Point one....of course he wants to project a good image of himself to the fans and public..after all if it wasnt for them he wouldnt be anybody. They are his paycheck!

If thats the case, then why isnt everybody great to the fans? The Ultimate Warrior, for example, treated the fans like ****.

I think its just a case of you not wanting to give Hogan the credit he deserves for being a nice guy just for the sole reason that he is a nice guy, no ulterior motive etc.

This is what the Ultimate Warrior things about them comments by Bret....

Comments on Bret Hart calling Hulk Hogan a hero - June 2002

On another similar note, I am disappointed to find out that Bret Hart has written a “soft”, almost “Pillsbury pudgy” column calling Hogan a Hero. I don’t know what criteria Bret is using to judge Hogan a hero. Maybe just the anecdotal stuff he put in the article. If so, I’d say Hogan, a person with heartstrings like us all, took the time to show his caring side, while, also, thinking to take advantage of the press-op. And who of us, traveling as we did up and down the road, hasn’t had the 50th petitioner for an autograph call us an asshole, not knowing we just spent every last available second we had signing 49. Still, if that is what it takes to be a hero, that is a pretty low bar to hold up as the standard. In Sports Entertainment, Hulk Hogan is the standout, the White Elephant. He is the face most people know and will remember. Each one of us that has danced inside the squared circle concedes this much. But a hero? Do we call a guy who milked a philosophy of life -- one he pushed on and sold to kids -- that he really doesn’t live by, a hero? Do we call a guy who’s whole life is absolutely nothing but a work, “real” and a hero? (There are plenty of people in the business who will not say this. But there is nobody in the business that does not know it.) Do we call a guy who turns bad and good and bad and good for the storyline and a few more bucks to add to millions already accumulated, a hero? Do we keep calling him a hero when he sues the poorly-paid-just-trying-to-do-my-job storywriters for defamation, making the circus-like claim that they legitimately slandered his reputation? Do we call the same guy a hero when he has the bank and connections to do something positive but cowers to his own inner fears of failure and sells out to the sleaziest promoter pimp there is? Do we call the same near 50-yr-old guy (now a grown man, an inveterate, iconic role model for all the youth) a hero when he still refuses to exercise his mind and inspire us with ideas that are more serious and worthy? (Keep building your body, sure. But use your mind a little.) Do we still call this guy a hero when the attention -- ergo, influence -- he commands is worldwide yet he finds it ok to stand and watch and participate in programming that pushes the lowest, viliest forms of human behavior?

Unlike Bret and many others, I don’t use a grab bag of feelings to determine the character of someone. Hogan is no Hero. And believe me, these questions I propose, here, are just a paltry poke at getting to know that. I’m writing...

Perhaps Bret is paving the way to soothe any previous pains he had about returning to Titan. After all, Hogan is there, he’s a hero. Ironically, timing couldn’t be better. Michaels has come clean about the Montreal screwjob, and stepped back in the ring, to set the stage. Or perhaps, the dysfunction of the Hart family knew only one boundary -- Sadly, he’s no longer here to clarify that for us. It’s time to stay strong in character, Bret. Don’t let your separation, possibly nostalgia, from the business make you lonely, then weak. And before you scrawl out a dismissive, scathing retort -- sure to appear -- let me say that I had previously always held you in high regard. You seemed, after all, a man of varied accomplishments. Maybe one of those you haven't developed is the everyday, common courage it takes to draw a deep, distinct line between what really is right and what really is wrong. If for nothing else than all the eyes and ears upon you. Calling Hogan "real" and a hero is wrong. Too many people are listening to you. You know better. You should do better. You once seemed the fighter. But, when the truth is told, you only whined about what Titan did to you, I warred and made what was wrong, right.

That’s all for now. Always Believe, Warrior

I remember one time at an airport, in about 1987, when Hulk signed one autograph after another to the point where it took him 45 minutes to get to the gate. They were closing the doors as he was boarding the plane and this one fan asked him for his autograph. He said apologetically, “I’m sorry, I can’t, I’m gonna miss my flight ...” and he got on the plane. I was right behind him and I heard a bystander flippantly remark, “Just like I figured. I always thought he was a jerk.” I thought to myself, that person has no idea how many autographs he just signed. Being a hero like Hulk Hogan it’s hard to make everybody happy but for a guy that’s been wrestling as long as he has he’s certainly done a heck of a job.

I bet they get loads of crap like that happening... Ungratefull fans thinking a famous person must put their life on hold for them..

off the current topic, but all i can say about hulk hogan, is if it wasent for him i prob wouldent have got into wrestling as much as i have so i believe that he's a genualy good guy, ive just downloaded something called the hulk hogan tribute off winmx and its that clip off smackdown a few years ago, when he was feauding wiv the rock, its about 5mins long, i think its good specialy at the end when his music changes from real american to nwo, even as a heel i liked him. if u ant got the clip belty or anyone else pm and ill send it to ya

Thanks for the interesting piece Beltmark. I always like to read wrestlers thoughts on each other. Its nice to see one legend appreciating another legend. Your various posts on Hogan are always a good read. :)

Well, I appreciate the kind words, thanks alot and glad you enjoyed it. I remember Lance Storm also did an awesome commentary on Hogan a couple years ago, I'll see if I can dig that one out too.