Sarcasm Lowest or Finest Form of Wit?

Spiritchaser

Hey Folks :xyx ,

Just a thought is ironic sarcasm your idea of funny?

Do sarcastic people tickle you?

Is it even amusing?

Just thinking about a man I know in a pub near here, who is sarcastic with everyone and has been beaten about the face and head for it numerous times, just wondering where your thoughts where on this one?

Spiritchaser

Raziel :thumbsup

On a serious note (HA!) I think it has it's place, and if done correctly, can be the most cutting form of wit used. But it has to be done in moderation, too much is a bad thing, and will end up in physical violence eventually if it's done continually.

Sarcasm as Inno said can be deadly. Its all about the delivery. I have a seriously deadpan delivery which helps to get people, at times people just continually give me material without realising. That said, sarcasm doesn't come across well online at all times so I have had to learn to adapt because I can say stuff off the cuff and people take it seriously.

In the real world it really is the most cutting, especially if the victim doesn't realise you are being sarcastic for a while. At the uni quiz some of the biggest cheers I get are for when I rip a contestant or 2.

Just thinking about a man I know in a pub near here, who is sarcastic with everyone and has been beaten about the face and head for it numerous times, just wondering where your thoughts where on this one?

There's an enormous difference between being sarcastic and being deliberately offensive. Sarcasm is supposed to be the lowest form of wit, but personally, I enjoy it, you get some great conversations/posts as a result! (yes, Draven, I am talking about you, you evil brat!). If someone is being "beaten about the face and head" as a result though, the comments he made have gone into Deliberate Nastiness, big difference...........

Edited by sunflower