World Cup without Beckham?

Guest NJC

After last night's appalling two footed tackle by some Argentinian nonce called Duscher, England's main man for the upcoming World Cup is almost certainly not going to be able to play.

I watched the ITV news, and they predicted that he won't be fit in time for our opening match against Sweden, and although he may be for Argentina, he most likely won't be risked, and only brought back for the final group game against Nigeria.

This had me thinking about several things. Firstly, do you think there was some intent in Duscher's ridiculous challenge, possibly to injure him for the World Cup- even if it means him getting sent off (which he eventually did, although for a different incident). It makes sense, Duscher is Argentinian, and we have them in our group. They probably see us as their biggest challenge ahead of Sweden and Nigeria, and will almost certainly regard Beckham as our best player (which he is).

Secondly, what are England's chances without our star player and captain? I do not think they are very good. If we can play defensively to clash with Sweden's defensive style, and come off with a point in the first game, that will be good. Then, against Argentina, if Beckham is not playing- again I think we need to play defensive, and try to use Owen's pace to hit them on the counter attack- maybe even resulting in a win. Then, against Nigeria, a point will probably be sufficient, but with Beckham fit for that game I think we should beat them anyway- leaving us to top the group.

So it's not all doom and gloom....!

Beckham will go to the World Cup. Even if he misses the first few games Erikkson will take him with the assumption that England will go through. Beckham will go.

I very much doubt Duscher who was playing in a vital European match for his club thought to himself "Sod that, I'll risk getting myself sent off here just so I can break old Beckhams foot". Argentina will beat England with or without Beckham anyway.

It didn't even look to be the tackle which injured Beckham anyway. It seemed like it happen a split second before the tackle was made.

Maybe people are reading a little too much into it but it is a coincidence that in the match against Depor last week Beckham was brought down by a nasty tackle by Diego Tristan - an Argentine. In the 2nd leg, Beckham is brought down with another crunching tackle this time by Duscher - another Argentine.

It's just a funny coincidence that's all.

Besides, screw England man, it's United I fell more sorry for. They now have only four games left to retain the premiership title and they have to do it without Keane and now without Beckham. Plus there's the Champion's League on top of that. Man, I love La Liga and all but Depor sure didn't do us any favours that's for sure.

Let's be honest, we didn't have much chance of winning the World Cup anyway, with or without our mercurial captain. It was a lunge by Duscher yes, but I think the problem was Beckham landed on his other ankle after contact was made.

I'm gutted that Beckham will miss at least the start of the World Cup, he always gives 110% and we will miss that. Anyway, our chances:

Sweden

Best we can hope for is a 1-0 I think, because they will be tough as hell to break down.

Argentina

Strangely, I'm looking forward to this match the most, we always play our best against ther very top teams in the world. If we can get off to a good start then who knows?

Nigeria

Another tough one, the type of match in which we could be 2-0 up or 2-0 down in 10 minutes, depending on our opponents style on the day, they're very unpredictable.

I can picture it now: If we do get past what is the toughest group, everyone will be calling us shoo-ins for the world crown, but let's be honest, as much as we would all love it, England have no chance whatsoever; we couldn't even beat Greece! I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong.

Sure we didn't have much of a chance of actually winning the thing? who does really? 2 or 3 teams that you could conceivably see actually winning it. two or three who look like potential semi finalists, and as always a surprise team or two along the way.

Beckham wouldn't have won us the world cup, but he could have made the difference between the second round, and the quarter finals

Guest Dean Douglas
Well at least it's a godsend for thousands of obese, xenophobic skinheads who can use this as a convenient excuse for when England gets knocked out in the group stages.

Reports in this mornings Daily Star claim Beckham has a chance of starting the Sweden game and maybe even the Champions League Final (Touch wood), based on the fact that Ryan Giggs had the excact same injury and was back in 5 and a half weeks.

I say with Beckham we can reach the Semi Finals and well if we do that anythings possible from then on. Without him I say we'd make the second round.

The other issue is without Beckham who do we have as captain, I see only three candidates Gerrard, Ferdinand and Gary Neville with Steven Gerrard as my favourite.

I say wrap Becks up in coton wool, shove him in an oxgen chamber and for gods sake keep him away from that evil Victoria. The last thing he needs is some bedroom inflicted injury.

You're all gonna hate me now, but don't you think it is quite sad how we all believe that now Beckham is out we can't win the World Cup?

It would seem that people think that the whole match would rely on Beckham, but surely it can't because there are 10 other players and whoever stands in for Beckham, so in my logic we have just about as much chance as anyone else, seeing as the rest of the England squad are just as good as Beckham.

This is only MY opinion... don't scream.

I'm looking forward to this World Cup...but Beckham, you'd think the 44 best English players had all been shot. What a bunch of reliant imbeciles you English fans all are. :)

I hope he's there though, as he's got that special something that just makes him stand out...saying that, he's not Zidane.

I may tape this entire World Cup, I'm in Dublin 13th - 17th anyways and will miss that bit, and watch it occasionally like I did with WC USA. Was planning to get my SFA C License this Summer :(

Listen...Can you hear that?

It's Russ rolling up on the Racism-Mobile!

Right. As a Scotsman, I care as much about England's World Cup hopes as I care who wins the Khazakstanian 3rd Division (Who am I kidding? C'Mon the Sharashkaraba United!)

However, this whole "Nation In Mourning" Shebang, about one player's injury, is a farce. So he's hurt. Is he that vital? No.

Beckham isn't God's Gift To Football. He's a very plain right midfielder, who manages to make people believe he's Pele On Speed with a few good crosses.

They won't miss his flair or pace down the right channel. They'll miss his delivery. And maybe I'm nuts, but I think Steven Gerrard is just as good with his passing.

Today I see on the news that a Posse of the English media have tracked down Duscher, and made him apologise. Do you think if Beckham was the one that hurt Duscher, would the Spanish media literally pin "Becks" (I loathe that nickname, I really do) against a wall until he apologises? Of course not.

The fickle English press are really quite pathetic. Just over 4 years ago, they were labelling Beckham a disgrace for his kick at Simeone, which I believe (and probably Kim Mollar Nielson does too) shouldn't have earned him a sending off. Now, one free kick against Greece later and he's a Saint.

Fact is, England should be qualifying for the World Cup easily. If you need a goal to save you from a draw at home to Greece with a Beckham free kick, dreams of winning the World Cup are simply that. Dreams.

I won't be cheering on England in the summer. Hell, may as well admit it, I'll have a party if they go out. But don't think that with Beckham in the England squad, that it's a dead certanty that Sven will be holding the trophey up this summer.

I look forward to hearing your Anti-Scottish responses. Anyone uses of the words "Haggis", "Jocks" and "Kilts" will be much appreciated.

Guest Dean Douglas

I think Russ has hit the nail on the head, Beckham is no more than outstandingly average, scores once in a while from a standing position and is a very one dimensional player. As others have also said, if the England squad was truly world class then losing one midfielder wouldn't matter, the papers are just prepping the excuse for when England gets knocked in the first round, which will happen, I guarantee it.

The attitude of the vast majority of English fans and particularly the English press has only confirmed my view that football in this country at least is just an outlet for xenophobia. No one cares about the sporting side or watches for the love of seeing good football matches and when England is defeated no one admits defeat to a better team, they only look for excuses and hurl dangerously close to racist insults.

First off DD, David Beckham has scored 15 goals this season, in the premiership and in the best club Competition in the world, the Champions League, and plays consistently for quite possibly the best club team in the world-not the signs of an outstandingly average player.

And Russ, the main reason I personally will miss Beckham is because of his phenomenal work-rate. If you saw the game against Greece, you'll know what I mean. He played in every position bar goalkeeper in the last ten minutes, and made his country proud.

Not to mention the fact he is an inspirational captain, and a world-class player, and we will miss him in Japan and Korea. I'm not saying we will win the cup with him, but I sure as hell would like him in my team, as would 99 percent of club managers around the world.

Well said Sabba Simba, what sets Beckham apart is that he gives 110% everytime he wears the Three Lions on his chest,and that rub off on the rest of the team.

You Haggis eating, Kilt wearing, Sweaty Socks (happy now Russ :xyx) could certainly use a Beckham in your national team.

Guest Dean Douglas
So he makes Engand proud because he fumbles round the field and scores 3 goals, all from a standing position, all from free kicks and he misses 8 others?. His playing is one dimensional, kick from standing still, he has no ball control skills or presence within a team. Beckham is by no means a world class player, he's a big fish in a small pond who's success is on the back of Manchester United, a team reliant on foreign players and a real sore thumb to showcase the appalingly low level of English talent. So what if he's scored 15 goals in an entire season?, look at how he scored them.

It would seem that people think that the whole match would rely on Beckham

Watch the England Greece 2-2 draw and then tell me it wasn't David Beckham Vs Greece.

I actually used to think he was great for United and a disappointment for England but that seems to have reversed since he became captain.

Since wearing the armband he's led by example, and his work rate has been awesome.

We already look awful at the back, the Neville's reading of the game is scarily bad for defenders, Campbell's had an average season, Ferdinand is far from solid and Ashley Cole isn't a left back at all.

I'd also like to point out that in the centre or on the right hand side of midfield it's not his responsibility to score goals. He may have only scored 3, but they couldn't have been more important. He's a big game player, and if you'd taken him out of the side we'd have lost against a very average Greece side.

That's a measure of how good the England side is without him in it.

Seeing as Owen's fitness is far from great at times, what if he gets injured too? Then we really are destined for a first round exit.

So DD scoring free-kicks isn't skilful according to you? David Beckham has scored two goal of the season contenders this season against Deportivo and West Ham, neither from free-kicks. He missed a few against Greece-who cares. When Beckhams free-kick against Greece hit the back of the net did you go "Look at those idiot fans jumping up and down cheering, do they not realise this is his sixth attempt at goal in this match?" For however long, David Beckham sent the entire country into a state of euphoria so if he missed a few I couldn't care less.

No presence on the field? He, as captain, led England to our greatest footballing triumph in 35 years. Or did the other ten do all the work? And Sir Alex Ferguson plays him every week, but of course he knows nothing. Plus, ANY manager, at club or international level, would love him in his team, he's being touted as one of the stars of this years World Cup for crying out loud.

Guest Dean Douglas

I didn't say it wasn't skillful, even though it really isn't compared to other ball skills he doesn't posess, I said he was a one dimensional player, his dimension being hitting the ball standing still, as he does in free kicks and 99% of his crosses and shots.

His presence is from the tabloids, on the field he's as wet as a fish's wet bits.

Personally I find it easier to strike a moving ball than a dead ball, but anyway.

I have to agree with DD in some ways, the press does overhype Beckham, he's not as good as he's made out to be. Thats not to say he's no good, he's still our best player and the one player I wouldn't like to be going to the World Cup without.

I think KJ hit it right on the head.

He's England's best footballer, but that doesn't automatically make him a world beater.

How he ever gets considered in the voting for European and World footballer of the year awards is beyond me, but that said he's the best footballer we've got, he is world class, and the thought of going to the world cup without him does scare me

Guest GarethW

You have to remember that David Beckham is not a one-man-team! If he didn't have the other 10 members of the team around him, he would be useless!

Sure, David Beckham is a good player. He knows his football! But he is way overated!

I can't commend the lunge at his foot, but I don't see the need in making such a huge fuss about it!

As said in previous posts, it wasn't David Beckham that put England into the World Cup this summer. It was a team effort. Of course, Beckham scored the goal they needed! But what if Michael Owen had scored, or even Emile Heskey? Would you give them the same fuss? I think you would!

Also, David Beckham's "Goal of the Season contenders" that weren't from free-kicks. Do they make his world beaters? If he wasn't passed the ball there would be no way for him to score them!

Don't assume that without David Beckham, England have no hope. I believe that England could go a long way in the championship! Even though I don't want them to!

He is an inspirational captain. But David Beckham is not England's football team. He is just one little piece of the puzzle. The battery of the circuit! Without the rest, he can't work!

My advice to the England supporters is this:

Forget about David Beckham for the time being, as there is nothing at all you can do about it! Just enjoy the World Cup.