War of the Worlds...

sunflower

Bestest album evaaaaah~! when I was growing up and it still rates very highly.

From David Essex to Phil Lynott and everyone in between. Plus "Forever Autumn"'s an amazing song: "Through autumn's golden gown we used to kick our way..." ahhhhh.

Oooooooolaaaaaaaaaaah~~~~!

• Like 1

It is a fantastic album which i have listened to since i was very young. The whole story is told in amazing detail, the music sets the scene perfectly, and the stars that provide the voices are spot on! My favourite song on the album is Thunderchild, and as you listen to it you can imagine the boat crashing through the waves trying to take down the machines, great stuff.
  • Like 1

War of the Worlds had quite an effect on my childhood too. When I was particularly young, around 6 I believe, I found my Mum's copy of it on tape. I began listening to it alone early in the morning (as a child I was always up at around 5/6ish). At first I really loved it, then one morning I think I began to realise what they were actually talking about and it scared me to death. I was so scared I couldn't even turn the thing off so I sat there crying until somebody woke up. Needless to say I didn't listen to that tape again.

War of the Worlds had quite an effect on my childhood too. When I was particularly young' date=' around 6 I believe, I found my Mum's copy of it on tape. I began listening to it alone early in the morning (as a child I was always up at around 5/6ish). At first I really loved it, then one morning I think I began to realise what they were actually talking about and it scared me to death. I was so scared I couldn't even turn the thing off so I sat there crying until somebody woke up. Needless to say I didn't listen to that tape again.[/quote']

Next morning a crowd gathered on the common, hypnotized by the unscrewing of the cylinder. Two feet of shining screw projected when suddenly, the lid fell off. Two luminous, disk-like eyes appeared above the rim. A huge rounded bulk, larger than a bear, rose up slowly, glistening like wet leather. Its lipless mouth quivered and slathered, and snakelike tentacles writhed as the clumsy body heaved and pulsated. :eek

It is a fantastic album which i have listened to since i was very young. The whole story is told in amazing detail' date=' the music sets the scene perfectly, and the stars that provide the voices are spot on! My favourite song on the album is Thunderchild, and as you listen to it you can imagine the boat crashing through the waves trying to take down the machines, great stuff.[/quote']

Thunderchild gives me goosebumps, it rocks! (Slowly disappearing, farewell thunderchild.......)

Edited by sunflower
  • Like 1

Yeah my parents had this on record - scared the crap outta me! It was the picture of the crow eating the alien that i hated!

i wonder what hte films gonna be like, no where near as scary i reckon.

I loved the first film! but spielberg seems to be taking too much liberties with the remake.

None of them come close to the book though.

I only know the Orson Welles version broadcast on US national radio, which caused 2 people to commit suicide, and a giant national scare, cause some believed it was actually happening, due to the sheer believability in the way it was presented. Heck Welles had to make a public apology to the nation the following day, and was considered in bad tase until Citizen Kane.

I know nothing of this musical version though.

So I take it I'm the only one who has never come across this in any way shape or form?

Looks that way. I'm not as familiar with the musical as some people on this thread (as in I can't name all the album tracks), but do love Jeff Wayne's main theme, which I have on 7" vinyl (how old am I?!!).

Never too late, dude - and given the upcoming remake, quite a good time to check it out.

Once you have the image of an invading tripod in your head it will never leave! :xyx

• Like 1

Next morning a crowd gathered on the common, hypnotized by the unscrewing of the cylinder. Two feet of shining screw projected when suddenly, the lid fell off. Two luminous, disk-like eyes appeared above the rim. A huge rounded bulk, larger than a bear, rose up slowly, glistening like wet leather. Its lipless mouth quivered and slathered, and snakelike tentacles writhed as the clumsy body heaved and pulsated.
**runs off screaming, covering his scared face with his Louis Vuitton handbag**