Kerrang! Magazine Poll

Sasuke

In this week's issue of Kerrang! they have the results of their '100 Coolest People' reader's poll and guess who won. Marilyn Manson! Ummm, ok then.

He beat the likes of Cobain, Hendrix, Slash, Axl, Dave Grohl, Flea, Iggy and a host of other "cool" people. What is so cool about a shock rocker with gold teeth who wears make up and dresses in leather? Please tell me because I know PLENTLY of people who do all of the above and there's nowt hip or cutting edge about them.

Maybe I just don't "get it", who knows. Ok, I'm not a big Manson fan, fine even though I guess I can see why some are. What I don't see is how he can beat so many other more important musical beings to the top spot. So he's not into religion well whoopee doo. I'm not big on bible bashoing either yet you don't see me topping any polls.

Though maybe I am making a mountain out of a mole hill because after thinking about it that said kerrang! poll really wasn't very respectable. Fred Durst was in there, nothing else needs to be said.

Guest Dean Douglas
I can't believe that, well, at least the manufacturers were considerate enough to print stuff for us to read on toilet paper.

Don't want to dis general population or anything, but most polls voted for by the public aren't very respectable, they throw up all kinds of anomolies. Don't get me wrong, I actually like quite a bit of his stuff, and his perforamcen at Reading last year was an awesome but he's hardly the coolest guy on the planet in my opinion.

Think about Kerrang's fanbase, and who would have been voting in the poll. It's obvious Mr Manson was gonna get the top spot. After all he is the God of f##k.

All it shows is who's most popular, and when you look at what's number 1 every week you can already see that the masses like crap.

I'm a goth, and to be honest I don't think we do think he's cool at all. A little kid wearing make up isn't really a goth. Sorry to get a little pedantic but obviously being a subject so personal to me, I thought I had to say. I know what you mean though, most of his fans are quite young, and dress like him. Manson himself isn't a goth, and neither are the kids that like him for the most part.

Most real goths aren't really into Manson and his shock rock, and certainly aren't impressed by people doing weird and stupid stuff like he does.

We kinda live inside ourselves if that makes sense, so his shock tactics really aren't our type of thing.

Guest Dean Douglas
Originally posted by Jayden

We kinda live inside ourselves if that makes sense.

Ah, so were you the guy on Ripley's Believe It Or Not with the mouth big enough to consume the rest of his body?.

I couldn't believe that 3 members of Sum 41 made it into the poll. I mean, they are nowhere near cool.

The problem is that the average age of a Kerrang! reader has lowered in recent years, and a lot of the people who voted are probably fairly new to the rock scene.

Hence, the duff choices.

i was abit pissed of manson won, but i knew it was coming when cobain was number 2 and manson hadnt been in b4 that. hes an absolute arse is manson and doesnt deserve to win it. its tainted love which has won him number 1 spot.

Dereyk, Bizzy D in sum 41, he is pretty cool. thats all tho in sum. i think mark and tom in blink are very cool, and should have been higher. i think tom was around 45 and mark was around 35.

Any poll for the coolest stars that does not contain either Huey from the Fun Lovin' Criminals, Christopher Walken or Samuel L. Jackson must be burnt at the stake.

From the RRRRRRRock world, I would give my vote to Ozzy or Maynard Keenan.

• 1 month later...