overated players (football)

Hosgood

who do you think are really overated players?

i'd have to go for:

louis saha - he has pace he scored a hell of a lot of goals in div.1. But anyone who saw his stint at newcastle a few seasons ago and any of his games this season (in the premiership) he can't hit a cows ass with a banjo. Plus he's french.

nakata: A prime example of the "Nike advert effect" he appears in a nike advert and suddenly everyone thinks he's twice as good as he actually is. Nakata is a clothes horse for the asian market. he's only bought for the shirt sales.

i also think veron, van nistelrooy, butt, barthez, campbell, ziege, dyer, desailly, le saux, heskey and shearer are also overated.

to prove im not totally negative these players are underrated: Beckham, Gallas, bowyer, scholes, gudjohnsen, given and bosnich to name a few

I wouldn't say Beckham is underrated. Hes just rated right. Hes fantastic and most people will tell you that. Scholes possibly underrated. Shearer and Van Nistelrooy definetly not overrated.

Shay Given is definetly underrated. He has been the best keeper in the Premiership this year - bar none.

Nicolas Anelka is someone I would say is vastly overrated. His goalscoring record is awful.

Becks is probably one of the most overated footballers in history, not that he's not good, in fact he's a superb player but he's no Zidane.

Overated players - Chris Sutton, Jamie Carragher, Emille Heskey, Mark Viduka, Harry Kewell, Carsten Jancker, Benito Carbone.

Underated - Gabriel Batistuta, Dean Richards, John Terry, Ronny Johnsen.

To name a few.

Hosgood, what more has Van Nistelrooy got to do? He's been knocking them in for fun in the premiership and in Europe. And Shearer over-rated? I've got 199 reasons to prove you wrong!

I agree with most people in this thread about over-rated players, but the biggest case has got to be that of Danny Mills. He's thuggish, can't run, pass, or tackle, and is always caught out of position. And he's going to the World Cup- whats going on?

Sven, if you're reading this, as I'm sure you are, I beseech you, on behalf of this great country, do not take that ignorant slaphead to the World cup, take young James Carragher instead. Thankyou.

Shearer and Van Nistelrooy, surely not. Van Nistelrooy's goal record at PSV was phenomenal, akin to Larsson's at Celtic. And he's now proved he can do it in the Premiership, and in the Champions League.

Shearer is awesome, at his best he was the most complete striker England have ever produced bar none. His work rate was outstanding, his passing, and particularly chasing into the corners and crossing were great, touch, movement, and I don't think I've seen a better finisher.

As for over rated guys, well the Neville bros are pretty high up there. Gary's reading of the game for a defender is terrible, and Phil suffers the same problem.

Nicky Butt too, just a very average player and nothing more.

All the fuss surrounding Woodgate and Bowyer has been strange too, regardless of their off field problems I wouldn't have them in any England squad.

Rio Ferdinand can play in a back three, but his lack of centre back qualities means in England's back four he gets caught out far too often.

many more too but I can't be bothered, I'll only wind people up

O.k maybe i should explain myself :D

I say beckham is underated because most pundits etc dont rate him as highly as they should. By now becks should have won world player of the year but no people such as Rivaldo, Figo and Zidane as rated higher. Those guys are fantastic players but becks is far more consistent plus i believe he's the best passer in the world.

Maybe im wrong about shearer. No doubt he's a great player perhaps im blinded by hatred when i say he's overated but for most of his career refs have been totally bias towards him and let him get away with so many blatant fouls. He did however win the title single handedly in 95 so i'll be quiet .:D

When i say van nistelrooy is overated im not doubting his obvious talent. I just think he (and any other man utd strikers) should be judged by their chances conversion rate and not their goals to game ratio as man utd strikers get so many chances they should be getting 30 goals every season which he's a long way from. Plus they payed far too much for him. The dutch league is as big a joke as the scottish league so his goal scoring record there dont count for much (all though he obviously has talent to get as many as he did) plus he had only played around 10 games for holland at the time.

Henrik larsson is hugely overated i'll leave it at that

i apologise for spelling and grammer mistakes im very tired.

Larsson's great, which is proved by his outstanding performances at international level for Sweden, he doesn't just do it in Scotland.

Dutch league is weak, but when you're getting 13/14 goals more than your nearest rival every season it says something. far from 30 goals this season? err is he? he'd only played 10 games for holland because he's still really young. potential costs a lot of money. if he's this good at his age, what's he gonna be like in his peak at 27/28.

andy cole's hugely over rated. movement is good, finishing is hideous.

Guest Dean Douglas

My tuppence on the Beckham debate....

He can't dribble, head, tackle, use his left foot, shoot (only 3 goals from how many free kicks?), or take part in a coordinated team effort. Can cross though.

Beckham is a superb player but is no World Player of the Year candidate. Zidane can probably do everything Beckham can and more with both feet.

Van Nistelrooy is still in his first season over here, the Dutch league is very week but in his first season over here and lets not forget its also his first season back from a career theatening injury and he's around the 30 goal mark, I don't think anyone could possibly have expected anymore, next year he will even better.

i disagree totally with DD. Beckham can shoot. he doesnt score as many now, but did you not see one of his earlier seasons with united? the year he broke thru really into uniteds team. he scored the half way line goal which was good. he was hitting 30 yarders all season. and the goal against deportivo and west ham, this year. i think he has huge amounts of energy, coz he is running up and down the flank the whole match. defending to attacking. i accept he doesnt dribble it like giggs does, mainly due to him smacking the ball inch perfect from one half of the pitch to the other. but he can dribble when he does, and he has pace to. he doesnt use his left foot a lot, but i think he can use it perfectly well. all his free kicks i would say come close. but your just pickin beckham out there bout his free kicks. take roberto carlos, he has as many free kicks as beckham has and will only score about 3 a season or any other player who takes free kicks for their side.

i think you all know hes one great midfielder - talented, but coz he has had so much success and the fact he plays for man united..you may be jealous of him.