Who better than Kanyon?

Jayden

Why does everybody seem to think that Chris Kanyon has been underused by the WWF?

I keep reading it everywhere, in posts, in articles on the site. Everyone thinks he's been wasted by the WWF.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Innovator of Offence. He's been one of my favourite performers for years but I actually think the WWF used him reasonably well before his injury.

You have to remember that Kanyon was out of contract, so he wasn't just a WCW guy they picked up when they took over the company, they actually went out of their way to sign him. I was surprised at how high up the roster he was after coming from WCW. He left a falling company as a mid card star, and really was one of the few guys who lost no status after joining the WWF. He was placed in the mid-card, battled Angle for the US Title. Was the Alliance MVP. I think they pushed him better than most of the Alliance guys when they came in. Look at what happened to Mike Awesome? Jobbing to Billy Gunn on Metal.

I just don't see where this notion that he's been misused by WWF comes from? Sure WCW didn't always push him the way they should, but WWF have done ok. It will be interesting to see what happens when he returns.

What do you all think?

I can't really comment, having not seen him in WCW, but i thought that while in the Alliance he was used quite a lot. His matches were good, and he had his shot for the US title. So i don't think that he was under-used by the WWF, and it will be intresting to see how they fit him in when he gets back.

To be honest, I think everyone will point to Summerslam where him and DDP hardly got a move in against Kane and Taker, which was terrible. I actually quite liked Kanyon, he got the crowd going and had some good matches. I agree with you, the WWF used him quite well.

I agree with what has been said so far Kanyon was used well by WWF, he was one of the few Alliance guys who get great reactions from the crowd (alot of other guys didn't so WWF turned WWF guys and stuck them in there place hurting the whole feud). The match at Summerslam was not down to WWF booking staff but more down to the fact Taker went out of his way to make WCW guys look bad (remember he refused to work with Mike Awesome saying he was slugish in the ring, something which caused Awesome to be dropped to Metal). When he comes back I hope he goes to Raw, a Summer of Eddy~!, RVD and Kanyon feuding over the IC title maybe with added D'Lo Brown would be great.

Guest Jack_Halewood
I don't get the deal with Kanyon. All he is is 'innovative moves' but there's a hell of a lot more in promotions like Toryumon and the US Indies. He's nothing more than a spot machine really, think for a second, has he had any good matches, and I don't mean entertaining I mean quality-wise good.

erm well if ya look at it, in some degree yeh he was used but look further than just card position.

erm did he actually win a match?

did he not get absolutely pummeled and ran away in the summer slam cage match?

then after that, he was never on raw or sd again, and considering he suffered his knee injury in a dark match against randy orton, that says a lot about a guy, who when on form could be solid and deserving upper carder, yet was working a dark match, before the likes of even funaki and billy gunn hadd worked on metal.

if u call that, getting a good push then well i guess crash holly must be in with a shot at the IC belt soon then.

I guess that Kanyon wasn't that underused, but as a bit of a fan, I'd love to see him at the top end of the card. Certainly, he's talented enough. Put him in the ring with a decent opponent and he'll have a cracking match.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that he gets pushed to the top of whichever roster he joins.

Kanyon vs the Rock = buy rate!

I'd love to see him at the top end of a card too, but for him to leave WCW and come straight into the mid-card I think was a promising enough start.

Ok the DDP Undertaker feud flopped miserably, and he became a part of that, which was definitely "a bad thing" but I genuinely think he came out of the whole Alliance thing better than almost all the WCW guys, bar Booker T.

As for you Mr Halewood seeing as I've seen you mention a few times now that you don't actually watch WWF programming or PPV's, do you not think that your posts could potentially be rather uninformed. If you don't like the WWF that's fine, I'm not the biggest fan in the world, but I do watch it so I think that gives me a better chance of putting down a decent opinion on the guys wrestling there. Not trying to single you out but at the end of the day simply telling us every time we mention any major US star that there are dozens of guys in Japan better is starting to get a little tiresome. Hey, I think Kawada is a better technical wrestler than for instance the Rock who incidentally I'm not a big fan of, but what Kawada could never do is bring 30000 people to their feet simply by raising an eyebrow. It's a different type of talent, but talent nonetheless. You think Kanyon hasn't had any great matches?

Kanyon was one of the few guys in WCW outside of the Cruiserweight division who you could stick in a match on Nitro or Thunder and he'd still produce good matches. I remember a great one against Booker T, a superb triple threat with Raven and Saturn and when he was teaming with Bigelow and DDP they had some awesome feuds with different combinations of Raven/Benoit/Malenko/Saturn.

I have plenty of great matches on WCW tapes of awesome matches, and they aren't just spot fests. The fact that he throws in a new move here and there isn't a bad thing. We've obviously not been watching the same Kanyon if you believe he can't build a match.

I suppose he was used, but then again he wasn't used to his full potential. The thing I didn't like is when he 'won' the US title from Booker T, if he had really won it in a match then I think it would have been better. He did get alot of TV time, but then Taker & Kane always buried him.

yeah that's the thing, the roster size. it's easy to point at most WWF guys and say they've been underused, not got enough tv time etc.

even Austin feels he has, and whilst he may have a point, when a star like that feels he's being wasted, how can anyone really complain about Kanyon being in the mid-card.

I think the real test will be when he comes back. I'm undecided as to what they'll do with him. Maybe they won't use him properly then, but we'll have to wait and see. The only thing I will say again is that WWF went out of their way to bring him in, and from interviews I've read with people behind the scenes such as Pat Patterson they do see in him things which WCW didn't.