an english champion?

Guest hbk fan

Guest hbk fan

Will the wwf ever allow a british competitor to hold the esteemed wwf championship belt? In my humble opinion no. My reasons? One of my reasons is that the wwf sees America for what it is one of the most patriotic countries in the world after all its where the wwf was born its where vince was born so why should a non fellow country man wear the main belt? That could be a good enough reason for the wwf to use but what about bret hart and cris jericho? Are they American? No so why should one rule apply to one country and not to another?

Lets take a look at two competitors from britain who became big in the wwf. Firstly the british bulldog. This guy was up to wwf standards in my opinion and was in his younger days wwf champion material he had a classic encounter with bret hart for the title in i think 95(feel free to correct me) also had a above par encounter with hbk at king of the ring 96 but each time he left empty handed.

William Regal..A class act in the ring and on the mic a well rounded performer learnt his trade well from britain (yes wwf thats britain) and got a big break with wcw then turned up in wwf got a lame gimmick as the "real mans man" (remember that?)

then reportedly left due to drugs problems.

He then returned with a better gimmick and mic time and patriotic britons thought to themselves maybe wwf will finally let one of us hold the belt? After all you would think the wwf would appreciate the british more they more or less depended on us in the late 90`s for finances but vince forgets that quickly doesnt he that is until next time the company is in financial difficulty.

William Regal has to be our safest bet yet for wwf champion after all he is friends with steve austin but unfortunately i doubt that will be enough. But you never know the wwf was a man dominated sport until Chyna won the intercontinental championship which gave hope to many women wanting to wrestle for the company.

Well I think that's unfair, they came pretty close to giving Davey Boy Smith the world title. Whilst he was Championship material he was around at the same time as Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. Two guys who I'm affraid were just much more talented and deserving of the world title. sure he had some good matches with them, but there's a reason he never beat them for the world title, they were quite simply better.

If I'm honest I think it has more to do with English wrestlers, than the WWF. How many great ones have worked for the WWF? The Bulldogs, Regal, and ..........who else?

Now those three really are/were great, but I couldn't imagine Regal as World Champ, he's good, but not the guy to carry a company. Same with Davey-Boy. He was so nearly there, nearly won a Rumble, nearly won a world title, but just not quite good enough. As for the Dynamite Kid, he was awesome, but he was never gonna be a world champ. Could you imagine Vince putting him over Hogan? If anything his size and injuries held him back in Vince's WWF more than being British.

I really don't think being English has held any of these guys back. In fact Regal has played on it, and used it as a character to help him get over.

What you have to ask yourself is would Vince have made Bret Hart World Champion if he was English? I genuinely believe the answer is yes. If the UK provides a guy talented enough then I don't see why Vince wouldn't make him champ. So far we just haven't done that.

I don't believe that Regal is good enough to be World Champ. I'm not saying he isn't good, just that i can't really see him being Champ and then keeping the title.

I definatly don't believe that it is because he is British. Thats just pathetic and the WWF aren't that low to stop someone being the Champ if they have the talent and skill in wrestling and performing to do it.

I'm surprised Bulldog never got a run with the belt, the only time he got a major push was in 1996/97 when the WWF was in probably it's worst ever slump. Apart from that he did reasonably well in Royal Rumble 91, mainly because we helped the Americans in the gulf war, and he won at Summerslam 92 in a main event (and where was that held?)

Personally, if Regal ever gets the WWF title, I will give up on Wrestling, mainly because the bloke doesnt know what he's doing in there, he drastically needs to modify his act. Bulldog was a very good wrestler, just not much cop on the mic, Regal the exact opposite. So, that's why we haven't seen a British WWF champion, and I doubt we ever will, at least not for quite a while yet.

Guest Dean Douglas
Originally posted by Sabba Simba

Bulldog was a very good wrestler, just not much cop on the mic

Were you watching the same doped up, roided, fat, slow, injury prone lug who's entire arsenal revolved around variations of a vertical suplex and a slam that we were?.

Regal is an utterly superb wrestler, on the mat he's one of the best, the problem is that the WWF is not his place. Regal was trained in the British style, which is largley mat based and worked with gradual buildup and a polar opposite of the WWF's spot based "3 moves each in as many minutes with no buildup" style. His place is the UK or Japan where the audience can tolerate 10 minutes of mat wrestling with each big move contributing to the story of the match.

i dont think davey boy or regal being british has anything to do with them not being champ, i mean if there is money to be amde from anyone or anything, wwf will exploit it. I just dont think davey or regal cud sustain the championship aura and consistency which is really required.

regal is great, but out of place, and bulldog had too many personal issues nuff sed.

Guest Perfection
If any Brit is made World Champ they shouldn't play the stupid patriotic English man crap we always get then people could take them more serious. This may have already been said but i couldn't be bothered to read it all ;)