Concert listening habits?

MillionLiraMan

Hey there,

I was just thinking, just before and after you've seen a gig, do you tend to listen a lot to the band you're about to see/have just seen? How long do you listen to them leading up to the gig? Do you avoid the songs they played live after the gig but listen to their other stuff for a while anyway? Do you avoid listening to them altogether and just wait for the gig? Do you not care and just listen to whatever anyway, whether it's them or someone else, meaning that the gig doesn't affect what music you would listen to aside from it?

Just being nosey. :)

my mates used to have a tradition of not listening to a band on the day of the gig because it was bad luck. i find after a gig that i will listen to more stuff to remind me of the gig, I also used to go and buy the support act's cd, always a good way to find a new band.

its usually one or the other for me

ill either get hyped up listening to the band playing before the gig, or ill listen religiously after

unless of course the gig is appalling in which case i plot vendettas against bands

You would think your'e used to appaling bands seeing as your'e an icp fan :xyx

i hardly see how thats relevant to the topic

and if we're talkin about live shows, the energy at an ICP gig is unreal, the whole notion of all the fans being a family really makes for an awesome atmosphere, plus sabu has a tendency to be on stage spraying coke at people

which is nice

It was a joke man.

Usually I'll listen to a band for a week or more before the gig pretty much over everything else, but I won't always listen to them exclusively. It does help get you in the mood though to listen to them for a bit before the gig. I might listen to songs that I suspect they might play during this time. After the gig I usually listen to them for about a week or so exclusively again, but I try to avoid listening to the songs that they played at the gig, I think it helps to preserve the memory of what you saw rather than listening to all of the same songs almost immediately again. Sometimes I'll listen to some of the songs they played within that week or however long I continue to listen to them but I'll at least try to leave some alone for a good length of time. After that week it's back to normal, but then much later it's good to hear one of the songs you didn't hear since the gig as it then brings back good memories of the gig much later and you can just about enjoy the song more than when you usually listen to it because you've waited patiently and listened to it more keenly rather than casually or out of habit. :)

I download three Killswitch songs before the gig' date=' just got back from it, and am now listening to Rose Of Sharyn and searching for other songs. It's usually the same for all :)[/quote']

Download all of the "Alive or Just Breathing" album as it wipes the floor with the "End of Heartache". Failing that just download Just Barely Breathing & Temple from the Within. Some of the best drums i have ever heard, considering it is done by the guitarist!

• 3 weeks later...

I tend to listen to random stuff in the run up to a gig, usually because I'm so busy that I don't have time to just put the band's cd on and hear it through. then after the gig I'll listen to that band. We saw Megadeth on Friday, and we've had Countdown to Extinction on fairly heavy rotation ever since.

Gotta agree with whoever it was commented on ICP - bloody amazing atmosphere at one of their gigs, constant stream of cheap ass cola being thrown on people, and everyone loving it! I think I was one of the only people who didn't get cola'd and feathered.