Mum at 66!!!!!!

DC

In the news yesterday there was a story about a Romanian woman who gave birth, through IVF, at 66 yrs old. I just think that not anly is this morally wrong, but it should be illegal for a woman of that age to have a child. What does TWO think?

That child will not have a normal childhood. When she goes to school her mum will be 70/71. When she has her 16th her mum will be 82yo. It's just not right. That is why women have the menopause and a biological clock.

And I don't like the fact that men, like Des O'Connor and Tony Curtis have kids in their old age either. :(

Edited by DC

The child will not have a normal childhood, what is normal? Surely if they've not known any other way then it will seem normal to them? I don't see the big deal about it. I'd like to live past my teens and still have my parents around but there are plenty of people who had younger parents who still died when the child was young.

Yeah, but how many kids have a 60+ yo mum? It's not right IMO and the doctors shouldn't have been allowed to treat a woman at that stage of life in that way. How would you feel if on your 16th birthday your mum was 82?

I do feel strongly about this issue and I can't see any justification whatsoever for a woman of 66yrs to be helped to become a mum.

What about when/if she starts to need looking after herself, when the child is only 5-10yo?

I'm not certain how I would feel as that's quite a hypothetical question. I did say though that I'd prefer to live past my teens and still be around, probably most people would be like that. I'm sure the woman who gave birth there would rather have had a child earlier as well but for whatever reason she only had them now.

It probably wouldn't be an ideal situation for me but I don't have a problem with other people having kids at whatever age they are.

So what age should people be banned from having children do you think?

That is a bit old to be having a kid aint it. My nan was 45 when she accidently fell pregnant on her last daughter, my nan is now 61 and seriously ill, and my aunt is 16 and she has to look after my nan.

I pity that poor kid because the bullying its gonna get in school is ridiculous. When that kid reaches 16 its mother is gonna be 82 my great gran has only just turned that, this woman is starting another family at this age and its puting the whole family line out of structure. Does she have any other kids or is this her first? I bet shes gonna have some weird looks from her friends and can you imagine what its gonna be like when they go shopping

Counter asst "Oh is granny spoiling you?"

Kid "No thats my mummy"

Counter asst "Oops ....."

xXx

So what age should people be banned from having children do you think?

I just feel that is what the menopause is for. Now, being a man, I could be slaughtered by women for this, and maybe rightly so, but I feel that after 50yo a woman should not be helped to have kids by doctors, when younger people are struggling to get IVF to start a family.

If a 66yo woman got pregnant naturally, it would still be shocking, but to help a woman have kids at that age (she was having twins, one died. The one who lived is only 33 weeks gone and her lungs aren't developed yet) has got to be wrong. :(

I personally think that's wrong because at that age, the probablity of the child having a mother and father for more than just 10 years isn't particularly likely, so essentially they are automatically being brought into a wrong kind of world, and never really have a chance. I mean yeah divorces happen and one parent goes away, but if both ure parents are 65 plus, it's highly highly unlikely both will live to say over 80. It's just wrong for the up bringing of the child, plus at that age, they can't even do a lot of normal activities most parents could.

The menopause is there for a reason, its the natural way for the body to tell a women that her child bearing days are over. 66 yrs old is not right to be concieving a child, the kid will be ridiculed, and what happens if both parents die before the kids ten?

The menopause is there for a reason' date=' its the natural way for the body to tell a women that her child bearing days are over. 66 yrs old is not right to be concieving a child, the kid will be ridiculed, and what happens if both parents die before the kids ten?[/quote']

That's absolutely spot on. Basically human biology see's to it that us women don't ovulate past our late 40s, early 50's so we physically can't reproduce after that age!

I know I wouldn't want to be running after a toddler at the age of 70!!

It's a shame that guys don't get the same type of timeline, so to speak. As mentioned before, look at a guy like Des O'Conner. It's weird not only to think of the age difference between mother and father, but to see that's what... 70? He'll die before both of them, and then what? If he goes early, he leaves his wife with a young kid. That's rough on anyone.