Hulk Hogan Vs Taker Who Has Done Most For The Business?

Spiritchaser

:xyx

Hey Hey Hey!!!!

In my view being a Taker mark obviously, I think Taker has done far more for "the business" than Hogan has.

I actually ascribe Hogan's success to a number of factors from good writers and Vince's show to Sylvester Stallone bringing him to the mass market's attention.

Taker for me put his body through more and was more involved in more innovative and dangerous matches than anybody else, not just Hogan, but Hogan gets the accolades.

Taker has worked for the market leader for a longer period of time and has put more in to his "character" than Hogan has.

I have written lists of the things and faces who have come and gone previously, in the time that Taker has been around, and I think that he is a draw to this day for a small amount of folks the way he was in the beginning, when most where a bit perturbed by his appearence.

To me Taker is the bigger Legend and has a greater longer lasting legacy than the Immortal Hulk Hogan, because you cannot kill that, that does not wish to perish.

Spiritchaser

Somewhere Between

The Undertaker has been a mainstay in the WWF ever since 1990. He's fiddled with character changes and development and he's managed to stay with the same gimmick for nearly fifteen years. He's got a great deal of matches and experience under his belt and he's probably drawn in a good number of fans over the course of his career.

Hulk Hogan could be considered the first ever household name in professional wrestling. He was a character everyone rallied behind and rooted for regardless of the opponent. He was the ultimate fan favourite. His character never tired in the WWF and he managed re-inventing himself during his WCW tenure. He brought unthinkable numbers of people to the table and MADE them into wrestling fans. The merchandise sales ... astronomical.

Which of the two was better from a business perspective? Hulk Hogan, without question. The Undertaker has never really drawn fans in his entire career. I'm not saying he hasn't got legions of fans but he hasn't done anything for the business that Flair hasn't done or that Hart hasn't done. Foley hasn't done, etc. He's a legend in his own right but he can't lace Hogan's boots in terms of being good for business.

Edited by LG Hooker

As much as I'd like to say Undertaker coz I personally prefer Taker, I'd have to say Hogan has brought pro wrestling (or sports entertainment as its now known) to the wider audience. Undertaker didn't have his own cartoon series. Hogan's face was almost everywhere when he was at his height whereas Taker's loyalty to WWF when WCW was going through its massive hot streak at the nWo height is unbeatable IMO. But in terms of who has done more for the business? Gotta be Hogan I'm afraid.

It's seems a tough one to call, because they're both pretty good at what they do or did. I'm not one to call this.

I'm going with evens. Simply because I haven't seen enough of the Hulkster's work to judge. Sure I know bits and bobs, but not enough to suggest that either one of them done more for the business. IMO, they both did the business a wonder of good, just they came from different angles and timezones...

Comparing them can seem unfair. Because you could say that without Hogan there would be no WWE. So then it's like saying "how can you then compare Hogan with anyone?" Quite honestly, if someone like Austin was in the position Hogan was in he could have carried the ball. It's the way it goes, right place, right time. I'm not taking anything away from Hogan here, he has done tremendous things for this business, and carrying the ball is certainly not for anybody. But to put Hogan on a pedestool above others just because of the date when he made his mark would be unfair...

In a shocking turn of events I would tend to agree with the majority. Hogan has done more for the business than the Undertaker. Hogan put wrestling on the map and was known (and still is) to the masses.

The Undertaker has done some great work over the years but in terms of business Hogan has simply done more.

Yeah - pretty much without dobut Hogan, he's done some much in terms of making wrestling, and more so the WWF in the 80's mainstream. His character suited the time period perfectly, and with the perfect "heels" to play off i.e Piper, Orndorff, Andre and Savage Hogan done so much for making wrestling more acceptable, as Dra said, probably no one will people able to touch hi in terms of doing thing for the wrestling business.

As for Undertaker, he's certainly done alot for the WWE in terms of being a good solid worker for the majority of his career, yet he hasn't really done a whole lot for the wrestling business in terms of attracting he mainstream audience.

Undertaker has been loyal to Vince McMahon, but I remember reading some where that even if Taker did go to WCW, the chances are he probably wouldn't have been as successful as he was in the WWF, because the WWF owned the whole "Undertaker" gimmick and if WCW tried to duplicate the character then lawsuits would have followed. So its probably its not the fact that Undertaker was loyal to WWF, but Undertaker knew he was better of in the WWF.

You could put Hogan against practically any American wrestler past or present and Hogan would win them all. I think the only person you could even get competition from is Vince McMahon. THEN you have a discussion on your hands.

agreed 100% im a big taker fan but the truth is hogans done more for the industry

what? what? what?

Hogan has done more than anyone. US' date=' UK, or Japan (yes Lyger included).[/quote']

Lyger isn't considered the be-all-or-end-all of japanese wrestling. I believe the most respected wrestler in Japan is Rikodozan, who was credited with popularising wrestling over there, if I remember Singhy correctly. I know he regularly has TV shows and such dedicated to his name, and possibly even a day?

IMO Hogan has done more for the company in terms of television and ratings as he was the man at the time to change the business

However, I would say 'Taker has had more of a positive influence backstage, particularly on talent and especially the younger ones.

But in all, I would have to say Hogan because he put pro wrestling on the map, 'Taker is just a guy who is recognised for holding his gimmick for a long time and is respected for this, including by me.

Put Rikidozan, Baba (when they were alive), Antonio Inoki, Tsurta, and Misawa in a ring anywhere outside Japan, and 95% of people will either not care or not know who they are. Put Hulk Hogan in a Japanese ring, and 95% of people will know exactly who he is. Hulk Hogans appeal is, or was, Worldwide, all those Japanese guys are heros in Japan, but remove them from Japan and they are Virgil, not many people care.

Thats not a knock on them, just how it is.

As for Taker, he has been a consistant in the WWF/WWE, pretty much over throughout his run, and always in or near the main event, and he has a huge amount of respect from fans and the boys in the back, but as for what he has done for the industry of pro wrestling? He hasnt really done anything.

He has never been a big draw, he never changed the way wrestling was seen by the mainstream or the public, he didnt change the way wrestling was in terms of merchandising and licencing deals, he never started and sustained a boom period, he never garnered record attendance, ratings or buyrates....Hogan did all of those things and thus easily beats Taker in this poll.

Hulk Hogan could be considered the first ever household name in professional wrestling.

I belive that accolade goes to the late, great Andre the Giant! He was in films and on mainstrean TV long before the Hulkster.

In fact, I belive that it was the blocks laid down by Andre that helped the WWF to become as popular as it was before Hulkamania eclipsed it.

Beltmark if where taking about achievements in Japan, which is what Jack was on about, then Hogan is way down the pecking order...

Hell the company and its fans voted Scott Norton its greatest forgeiner ever, ahead of people like Andre, Hogan, Flair, Dynamite etc etc...

As for a contribution to Japanese wrestling then Rikodozan is top, he built it from nothing, he took it from the odd small backroom to the arenas and into the main stream...

Then after his death Baba and Inoki took separate paths after his promotion died with him and rebuilt the scene with AJPW and NJPW respectively...

Then Tsurta, Misawa and Tenryu changed how puro was wrestled in the late 1980's and early 1990's and took the emphasis from gaijian v native to true native v native action....

That is why they are worth far more in Japan then Hogan, hell Inoki v Flair in North Korea drew a crowd of 150,000... The biggest paid attendence ever....