Graveson to join Real for £2.5m

Ravenmark

According to BBC Sport, Real Madrid have agreed a fee of £2.5m for Graveson today.

A little sad for an Everton fan such as myself, however I won't begrudge him a move to Madrid.

Good business by Everton though, as he would have probably left in the summer for nothing and been left in Man Utd reserves or something.

Hopefully we can sign a midfielder to replace him, Simon Davies of Spurs has been mentioned, but I can't see it.

I really don't know why Real Madrid are so bloody-minded about changing from being almost a world eleven (seven at least if you take out the defence but leave Casillas) to being a mediocre UEFA Cup standard Premiership team. I have fond memories of going to see them a few years back and have always liked Real Madrid but this trend of baffling singings has put me right off them. Getting rid of Morientes after never playing him despite him being in great form as well was also a bizarre thing to do.

So Madrid do know something about football. Wonders will never cease. Graveson, Woodgate, these are the type of players they need, not overrated fossils in their 30's. They may not be as good to watch, but they are still a football team, not a circus, and they need some steel in their ranks. Something the board are finally waking up to it seems.

Its a very good signing for Madrid, Gravesen has proven he can consistently do the business on the field, and a reliable and talented player is what every team is after. I think its going to be a blow for Everton though, as i mentioned he is a reliable and talented player, and without him the Toffees will miss that physical presence in the midfield that he brings.

• 2 weeks later...