Asian Vs Usa: Action

Anime Otaku

this is similar to the UvsA horror thread but the genre is about movies like Ichi the killer, Battle royale versus american blockbusters such as terminator and Collateral.

Unlike the horror thread this is much closer run for me but once again i amgoing for the asian movies as they seen to me to have better plots and characterisation rather than the effects laden american movies.

edit: can a mod please add a 2 option poll please

Films like Iron monkey kick the hell out of american action films.

They have more imagination better cinematography and are just more fun, but i wouldn't say that they are better.

For example a lot of american action films like say Die Hard kick the **** out of Ichi The Killer which had a lot of promise, but took itself too seriously.

I wouldn't really call Terminator an action film as i see the first as more of a Sci Fi/Thriller film and it is still better made than most modern asian films.

If you want the best action films ever made get some of Akira Kurosawa's old films, they have the best story , charachter developement , cinematography and action scenes ever commited to screen.

If you want the best action films ever made get some of Akira Kurosawa's old films' date=' they have the best story , charachter developement , cinematography and action scenes ever commited to screen.[/quote']

Hells yeah! I got Seven Samurai, Sanjuro and Yojimbo all of which are amazing films from every aspect!

Asian cinema again takes it for me here. Hard Boiled, The Killer, God of Gamblers, A Better Tomorrow, etc all beat the hell out of most US action movies.....and thats without any martial arts films.

Films like Iron monkey kick the hell out of american action films.

They have more imagination better cinematography and are just more fun, but i wouldn't say that they are better.

For example a lot of american action films like say Die Hard kick the **** out of Ichi The Killer which had a lot of promise, but took itself too seriously.

I wouldn't really call Terminator an action film as i see the first as more of a Sci Fi/Thriller film and it is still better made than most modern asian films.

If you want the best action films ever made get some of Akira Kurosawa's old films, they have the best story , charachter developement , cinematography and action scenes ever commited to screen.

Ichi is my third fave action movie after Battle royal and Kill Bill although i loved the die hard movies as popcorn flicks i really felt there was no really good characterisation in them. Same with the Teminator movies although i do think that you are right that the first one in particular is classified often as a thriller rather than an action movie.

Edited by Anime Otaku

If you're including the Terminator movies then that wins it for me hands down.

Also my favourite action movie is a US one: Aliens.

A Better Tomorrow, Hard Boiled, Ichi and The Killers are the only Asian ones I have really seen TBH. I like John Woo movies, although is Bruce Lee films included?

If so then The Big Boss sneaks in.

Ichi is my third fave action movie after Battle royal and Kill Bill although i loved the die hard movies as popcorn flicks i really felt there was no really good characterisation in them. Same with the Teminator movies although i do think that you are right that the first one in particular is classified often as a thriller rather than an action movie.

Die Hard is entertaining and that is all it is meant to be, and as for Characterisation Ichi doesn't that well either.

Just look at the way they tried to build up the character of Ichi, they made you think he had mental problems for no other reason than shock value, then they kind of ignored Kakihara who was the most interesting person in it.

In fact the characterisation was so bad they made an anime to accompany it just so they can add more depth.

As for Battle Royale that isn't really an action film either it's a satirical look at what may happen if the crime level in the world is left to rise, like a more ****ed up version Escape From New York if you will.

actually like aliens BR is a war movie with a twist (or it may have been the sequel) as the late great mentor of Quentin Taranino, Fukasaku Kinji was about the same age as the charactes in BR when the Japanese were under attack from the US fleet at the end of World War 2 meaning he saw he death of many of his friends. Thats why he made the movies.

R.I.P Fukasaku Sensei

Actually Koushun Takami came up with the idea for the book that the film is based on (by the way the book is better).

So Fukasaku didn't come up with anything except the second film and that was about children realising that they are the only ones who can change the world for the better.

Because the adults or America (that country as they are refered to in the film) are leading us into destruction.

hard one to call... asian cinema has produced easily the best high end action films with john woo and ringo lam at the helm... plenty of great wu shu films too though wire fu is getting pretty tired these days...

that said the us does have the likes of terminator, die hard and aliens as previously mentioned... where the us wins over asian cinema is in the middle and low end of action... most hong kong films outside the big names are pretty awfull and a couple of good scenes don't make a movie.. america produces a lot of "guilty pleasure" action films with the likes of segal, jean claude and brian bosworth that are just far more entertaining than the crap we don't get to see come out of asia...

have to say that neither is better... both are just different and you can get bored with both styles of action...