Brits 2005: The shortlist

Kam

From the BBC website:

The full list of nominees for the 2005 Brit Awards, to be held at Earl's Court, London.

British male solo artist:

Jamie Cullum, Lemar, Morrissey, The Streets, Will Young.

British female solo artist:

Amy Winehouse, Jamelia, Joss Stone, Natasha Bedingfield, PJ Harvey.

British album:

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand, Keane - Hopes and Fears, Muse - Absolution, Snow Patrol - Final Straw, The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free.

British group:

Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, Keane, Muse, Snow Patrol.

British single:

Band Aid 20 - Do They Know It's Christmas?, Jamelia - Thank You, LMC vs U2 - Take Me To The Clouds Above, Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme, Will Young - Your Game

(Voted for by commercial radio listeners)

British rock act:

Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian, Muse, Snow Patrol, The Libertines.(Chosen by Kerrang! TV viewers)

British urban act:

Dizzee Rascal, Jamelia, Joss Stone, Lemar, The Streets.(Voted for by MTV Base viewers)

British live act:

Franz Ferdinand, Jamie Cullum, Kasabian, Muse, The Libertines.

British breakthrough artist:

Franz Ferdinand, Joss Stone, Keane, Natasha Bedingfield,The Zutons. (Chosen by BBC Radio 1 listeners)

Pop act:

Avril Lavigne, Girls Aloud, Natasha Bedingfield, McFly, Westlife.

(Promoted by ITV1's CD:UK, The Sun, O2 and Samsung)

International male solo artist:

Brian Wilson, Eminem, Kanye West, Tom Waits, Usher.

International female solo artist:

Alicia Keys, Anastacia, Gwen Stefani, Kelis, Kylie Minogue.

International album:

Killers - Hot Fuss, Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane, OutKast - Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below, Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters, U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

International group:

Green Day, Maroon 5, OutKast, Scissor Sisters, U2.

International breakthrough act:

Jet, Kanye West, Killers, Maroon 5, Scissor Sisters.

Brits 25 best song award:

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart, Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights, Queen - We Are Champions, Robbie Williams - Angels, Will Young - Leave Right Now. (Voted for by BBC Radio 2 listeners)

Outstanding contribution to music: Bob Geldof

Well Green Day's American Idiot album was miles better then the choice which annoyed me... Maroon 5. Insipid turgid crap, I mean come on they are named after the colour Maroon... a step above Prune for christs sake... they are just urrgghh.

The best single is a bit of a joke and cack, shows how much taste the music buying public have don't it? Best rock also proves that Kerrang readers have suddenly turned indie... No offense to the bands they aren't Rock enough to compared to the legends that graced Kerrang's once mighty pages. I'm a fan of Muse though so I hope they win.

It will most likely go down to the usual judges deciding factor as usual... record sales rather then artistic talent. I spit on the Brit's I really do.

Will Young.

Natasha Bedingfield

British album:

Keane - Hopes and Fears

British group:

Keane

British single:

Band Aid 20 - Do They Know It's Christmas?, Jamelia - Thank You, LMC vs U2 - Take Me To The Clouds Above, Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme, Will Young - Your Game

(Voted for by commercial radio listeners)

None of them.

British rock act:

Franz Ferdinand

British urban act:

Lemar

British live act:

Franz Ferdinand

Keane

Pop act:

McFly

(Promoted by ITV1's CD:UK, The Sun, O2 and Samsung)

Usher.

Anastacia

International album:

Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters

International group:

Scissor Sisters

Scissor Sisters.

Queen - We Are Champions

(Voted for by BBC Radio 2 listeners)

My choices :)

Best Male - Morrisey

Female - Joss Stone

British Album - Muse, Absoultion

British single - None... all should be tipped into a big landfill and topped up with Bernand Manning's waste...

British Rock - Muse

British Urban - Dizzee Rascal, simply for Dream, bloody genuis!

British Live - Muse

British breakthrough - The all really annoy me apart from Joss Stone...

Best pop - Girls Aloud or Avril simply because I'd do em! No, most likely Avril cos I like guitar pop...

International Male - Eminem or Kanye West, good albums this year...

International Female - Probably Alicia Keys has she has more talent then the rest put together....

International Album - Killers, Hot Fuss, I really like it and it pipped Scissor Sisters and U2 for me this year...

International Group - Green Day

International Breakthrough - Killers

Brits 25 best song award - Joy Divison - Love will tear us apart... beautiful depression!

My choices from those available would be.

Morrissey

PJ Harvey

British album:

Muse - Absolution (Not sure how this qualifies as it was 2003 but maybe it's because it was released later in the year, not sure)

British group:

Muse

British single:

I've only heard two of those, didn't care for either really. Band Aid.

British rock act:

Muse

British urban act:

The Streets

British live act:

Muse I've seen 3 of these acts, Muse, Franz Ferdinand and The Libs. Muse were brilliant.

Franz Ferdinand

Pop act:

Erm, Natasha Bedingfield I guess

Tom Waits

Gwen Stefani

International album:

Arggh, this is so difficult. Either U2 or The Killers. I'll go with Hot Fuss by the Killers

International group:

U2!

The Killers

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights Love Will Tear Us Apart is great although not my favourite Joy Division song so I've went with Wuthering Heights. Kate Bush has such a unique voice. When I first heard this song I'd never heard anything like it.

Morrissey (the one I dislike the least)

PJ Harvey (see above)

British album:

Muse - Absolution

British group:

Franz Ferdinand

British single:

(Who cares?)

British rock act:

Muse

British urban act:

The Streets

British live act:

Muse

Franz Ferdinand

Pop act:

(ha)

Tom Waits.

Gwen Stefani

International album:

U2 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

International group:

Green Day

Killers.

(none)

Im I the only one who thinks Natasha Bedingfield is the hottest chick they've ever seen in their life? I mean seriously, she's to damn good looking for her own good. We know who got the good genes in that family. Anyhoo, back to the *cough* music. Best single is pretty funny, commercial radio listeners explains it though. Jamie Cullum should be feed to hyenas. Best album is U2 by default as it's the only one I actually bought in 2004. Personally though i cant give a rats arse. The only people who actually care about winning these things are the ones who dont deserve to. Although If there's any justice in the world, Scissor Sisters will walk off with a handful. And maybe a few brits as well.

The Streets

Joss Stone

British album:

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

British group:

Franz Ferdinand

British single:

Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme

British rock act:

Franz Ferdinand

British urban act:

Dizzee Rascal

British live act:

Muse

Franz Ferdinand

Pop act:

Girls Aloud

Kanye West

Gwen Stefani <3

International album:

Either: Killers - Hot Fuss, or Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters

International group:

Scissor Sisters

Killers or Kanye West

Queen - We Are Champions

**** the Brits

All they do is put in some artists who actually write and release something different (Morrissey, PJ Harvey, Tom Waits etc) and give it to some crap ****s, or Jeff Buckley impersonators (looking at you Matt Bellamy).

I really like both Buckley and Bellamy's voices on their records and I know Bellamy has said Buckley is an influence and there are similarities with their falsetto style. But I'm really struggling to see the similarity in a musical sense. The music Muse make is much different to what Jeff Buckley made. Bellamy's probably got a better vocal range than Buckley did anyway.

Im I the only one who thinks Natasha Bedingfield is the hottest chick they've ever seen in their life? I mean seriously, she's to damn good looking for her own good. We know who got the good genes in that family.

I think she is stunning (looking at his Natasha Bedingfield desktop right now) and on the very unlikely chance she offered it I would take her up on it keep as a hiccup...

Just don't like her music all that much....

Still would though lol...

I really like both Buckley and Bellamy's voices on their records and I know Bellamy has said Buckley is an influence and there are similarities with their falsetto style. But I'm really struggling to see the similarity in a musical sense. The music Muse make is much different to what Jeff Buckley made. Bellamy's probably got a better vocal range than Buckley did anyway.

Listen to Eternal Life and it could be the basis for all of Muse's rockier tracks.

• 2 weeks later...

From the BBC website:

Brits admit error in awards list

Organisers of the Brit Awards have had to add extra songs to the best single category after admitting they made a mistake with the original list.

They said the original list had been drawn up with the wrong timescale, and that the 2004 chart year was made up of 53 weeks instead of 52.

It will now feature five new songs including tracks by The Streets, Keane and Natasha Bedingfield.

They join the list that already counts Band Aid 20 and Will Young.

The five new singles that have been added to the award are: George Michael's Amazing, Keane's Everybody's Changing, Natasha Bedingfield's These Words, The Streets' Dry Your Eyes and Sugababes' In The Middle.

The category is voted for by listeners of commercial radio stations in the UK.

The five songs that had already been in the list were: Band Aid 20's Do They Know It's Christmas?, Jamelia's Thank You, LMC vs U2's Take Me To The Clouds Above, Shapeshifters' Lola's Theme and Will Young's Your Game.

"It has been brought to the organisers' attention that the 2004 chart year comprised 53 weeks rather than 52, running from 28 December 2003 until 1 January 2005," a Brits statement said.

"To avoid any ambiguity and in the interests of accuracy and fair play the Brits committee has decided to expand the nominations list to ten," the statement said.

Money raised from text message voting in this category will go to the Brit Trust charity, which has pledged £500,000 to help victims of the Asian tsunami disaster, through Save the Children.

"The Brits is committed to ensuring the accuracy and integrity of all of our awards, both the publicly-voted and the Brits Academy-voted categories," a spokesman said.

"A happy side-effect of this decision is that the British single nominations now look more exciting than ever."

The reason it was REALLY changed was, when the counting had been done, Nat Bedingfields people filed a complaint, with Will Young's single actually coming in 7th in a shortlist that would be whittled to 5 artists. To avoid embaressing Will they made it 10 instead of kicking him out of the top 5. IMO this stinks, if he wins (and it's a public vote, the same public who voted Vicar of Dibley the 3rd best british sitcom.....EVER) it would be a travesty as he shouldn't even be there at all.