Supper?

Pabster

I kinda have supper depends on if I'm hungry, normally its just toast or hot chocolate and a few biscuits. My kids dont eat supper though they wont eat after 6:30 due to going to bed at 7pm.

But if I dont eat then my supper will contain nothing more than a bottle of beer.

xXx

Well, that's a great question Pab.

In my houshold we have myself, Mrs. Twisty, the 3 boys, one 5, one 7, and our 14yr old nephew. We mostly have supper around 5 or 6. We are lacking a dinning room, and we have a very small kitchen, so we mostly eat in the living room. We tent to have a lot of company, especialy around dinner time. Go fig!

All in all, we try eat together if possable. Both the Mrs. and myself were brought up in housholds where we always eat with the family.

So, yeah. We try to maintain the suppertime tradition.

Well, that's a great question Pab.

In my houshold we have myself, Mrs. Twisty, the 3 boys, one 5, one 7, and our 14yr old nephew. We mostly have supper around 5 or 6.

Supper between 5 and 6?! :eek That's tea time my friend. Supper is only Supper after 9.

I have tea about 3pm depending on school and if my moms working or not. About 7/8 she usually gives us something that could be like a pizza to share between the three of us, or a packet or crisps and a piece of fruit, or if shes got loads of christmas nibbles left, she'll put some of them randomly on a plate and stuff.

Well if im at this house where my pc is. I usually just grab something quick to eat for dinner at about 8 or 9. I dont eat much during the day if Im at home since we usually dont have a lot.

At about 12/1 am then i usually grab a back of crisps or a choccie bar or something since if i cook toast or anything it wakes my dog up and she wont sleep then until she gets some

In Scotland, Supper means "with chips". So technically, I have supper just about every night, unless I'm having rice, mashed potato or cous-cous with my meal.

Gonnay gie us wanay thay fish suppuhrs pal, wae sahlt an' broon sohz.

Translated means...

Excuse me sir, I would like to purchase a portion of your finest deep fried fish, accompanied by a generous helping of chipped potatos. I would also like to inform you that I desire my chips to be covered in sodium chloride, as well as adding some HP Sauce to the meal. That would be wonderful, thank you very much.

Gonnay gie us wanay thay fish suppuhrs pal' date=' wae sahlt an' broon sohz. [/i']

Translated means...

Excuse me sir, I would like to purchase a portion of your finest deep fried fish, accompanied by a generous helping of chipped potatos. I would also like to inform you that I desire my chips to be covered in sodium chloride, as well as adding some HP Sauce to the meal. That would be wonderful, thank you very much.

wow its like reading a Christopher Brookmyre book. Thanks to him I now understand the Scottish language a bit better!

In Scotland, Supper means "with chips". So technically, I have supper just about every night, unless I'm having rice, mashed potato or cous-cous with my meal.

Translated means...

That's only for the East of Scotland. Asking for salt 'n' sauce in the west will get you lynched.

Christof So am I the only person who doesn't have Tea or Supper. I have my Dinner every evening from as early as 6 to as late as 9, even 10 depending on what I am up to.

I'm the same. I live alone :( , and therefore have my meals at whatever time is convenient.

Any of the ladies in TWO, or further if you're just passing through, wanna help me out, my PM's always open! ;)

I dont have breakfast so i usually have Brunch @ bout 11-12 then i have lunch @ like 3-4 and then tea at like 7.. sometimes.. usually after a saturday night out we come back really pissed and munch some dretley food, dretley is cornish for like later on.. and is a family saying, and is the best meal of the day! :D :xyx

Supper between 5 and 6?! :eek That's tea time my friend. Supper is only Supper after 9.

Forgive me Pab, but I'm American (yeah, you can forgive me for that as well :P)

but supper and dinner are the same thing in America. :thumbsup ! We also don't realy have a "Tea" time either. That must be your dinner time. Or are ther other times in the evening when you eat? :?

I'm confused.

Edited by Maxximus

Because I work during the day now I tend to skip breakfast, eat lunch between 12 and 2 and then have some dinner at about 6ish when I'm home. Then because I usually go see my god daughter Morgan in the evenings I might have some food at hers because April only eats when the babys asleep so she can enjoy her food hot instead of stone cold. So I guess thats my supper but it varies day to day depending on if I'm work (I'm a temp) or where I am in the evening.

~Cherry, xxx

As i live in student land, im usually at uni during the day so rarely have lunch. Normally eat dinner with the other girls in my house from around 6-7. i try not to eat after ive had my dinner but if i do, it'll be a piece of toast or something small like that.

I eat all the time. Seriously. I am "bulking up" at the mo, and to get my metabolism into gear I am eating every two hours, so I have Breakfast, Elevenses, Brunch, Lunch, a mid-afternoon snack, a snack when I get home from work, dinner, Supper and a bite before bed!

Back when I was single and living alone I was a one meal a day type. I reckon living with your partner means you eat more when you "play house" and go all civilised. It's why loved up couples usually start putting on weight...

Translated means...

I love the "salt 'n' sauce" Scottish thing. But it's not just HP sauce, is it? If it is it's watered down at least, as it's a different consistency and squirted out of one of those squeezy bottles in a far more watery fashion.

Ask for vinegar at a chippy in Scotland and they cut you a look like you are a FREEEEEEEEAK!

As DC said, one half of Scotland (The East, including me) needs to have salt and sauce. People in the west love their salt and vinegar. Scotrail used to do a bizarre TV advert where it showed two chippy owners shouting "SALT AND VINEGAR!" and "SALT AND SAUCE!" at each other for 30 seconds, until the message "Glasgow To Edinburgh Service- Every 15 Minutes" came on the screen. It wouldn't make sense to 90% of Britain, but if you did understand it, it was pretty funny.

As for what makes up the sauce, it's tough to say. I was at the birthday party of a friend of a friend about 10 years ago, and his dad owned a chippy. He had stacks of his homemade sauce in a crystal decanter thing, which I remember being very nice indeed. I think it's a mixture of brown sauce with vinegar, but there might be other stuff in it too. It's runnier in consistency and harder to dip your chips into, but it's probably got a nicer taste.

My recommendation, Mr (or Dr?) Banner is to seek out a good chippy in the West of the country for your salt and vinegar needs. The Blue Lagoon chain have a few restaurants in Glasgow that'll be more than happy to meet your vinegar needs.

Well heres a little guide for you then Maxx, a fairly normal eating times guide, obviously this does not apply to everyone in the universe:

Breakfast 6-9

Brunch 10-11

Lunch 12-2

Dinner 4-6

Supper 8+

But sometimes don't you have your Dinner at Lunch Time (for example on Sunday), and if so doesn't Dinner Time then become Tea Time?

As for supper, sometimes I'll eat a bowl of Cereal or maybe some cheese and crackers for supper.