The FA Cup

Christof

So the 3rd round has happened and I just wanted to gauge whether TWOite's felt that the magic was still a part of the FA Cup. This round we have seen Oldham upset Man City and Exeter hold Man Utd to a 0-0. But with there being only 2 non league teams making it to the 3rd round did this years 3rd round lose the magic of previous years. Has Chelsea and Man Utd fielding 2nd XI's dented the prestige of the competition in your eyes? And what of yeading, have they proved that miracles can happedn for 45 minutes at least?

Well with the injuries and suspensions Man Utd have got I would hardly call it a second XI by choice...

Chelsea also have enough star power to play a second XI that could match any first team in the Premier League, never mind the country...

Still I am upset that Man U did play better and win the game. With all the problems mounting and lots of huge games coming up that will truely decide our place in the title hunt we could have done without a replay... and to have to play one ranks as big a shock as any in the cup this weekend...

City's defeat by Oldham cheered me up though as I have alot of time for Oldham and no time for City (being a United fan). I'm glad that Keegan, my least favourite manager of all time alongside Wenger has been dealt a blow, as he is quite frankly tosh....

Plus well done Sheffield United for a fantastic come behind performance against Villa and a great 3-1 win... sorry Wolverine if your reading this..

And sorrow also for my hometown team Rochdale as we where trounced by Charlton 4-1 at the Valley. B**tards lol.

You have to say yes, just a shame it was no played the other night as the conditions would of suited us. Thankfully we will have a game on the pitch on saturday so should be sort of used to it.

If they play the sort of team that beat spurs in the league cup then you will really have to fancy us. I know they beat spurs, but Spurs dominated apart from in the final third and i'm sure we gave them a better game in the previous round even though they won 3-0.

If Gerrard, Baros, Morienties and Luis Garcia all end up playing though i think we will probably see the last of the Clarets in this years FA cup.

But hey i can get all excited about it again and maybe just maybe we can see 1 of those magic cup nights down at Turf Moor again.

• Like 1

The magic of the cup is still there, just ask Yeading. The manager was quoted as saying "aside from the birth of my children, this was the proudest moment of my life", now doesnt that just show you how much even a third round loss means to the lower teams, especially the non-leaguers. Possibly for the bigger Premiership clubs its not there, reasoning why they sometimes field lesser teams, but a cup win always means so much more than a regular league win, even to fans.

A part of the magic of the cup is the fact that any team could meet any other team thanks to the draw. Like this year, we saw Premiership Arsenal take on Championship Stoke, Premiership Newcastle take on Ryman Yeading, it all makes it exciting, and fun.

I reckon Burnley could pick up a shock against pool... a blow that Blake's gone but I still reckon Liverpool can be taken...

What about you BRM?

I have to agree, i belive Liverpool may field a weaker team and this may enable Burnley to take advantage, especially if Valois and Chaplow are made back and fit.

:D :tban :D

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/images/playerpics04_05/football/live/traore-owngoal.jpg

Edited by BRM

Wel you'e got to laugh otherwise the RSPCA will come knocking. Obvioiusly Benitez doesn't quite realize the importance of the cup. Otherwise he would know how badly Burnley would want it beforehand, and would have taken precautions. Us being truy woeful didn't help either. I mean seriously Rafa. Whitbread? Raven? Thats what the Carling Cup is for fool. One or two youngster yeah, but not 8.

I don't mind the picture except the The Scum's logo being in the corner.

As for the match? Ugh. Horrible, Nunez and Traore should be shipped out. Traore shows glimpses of brilliance and then ruins it with stupid moments like that, Bambi on Ice comes to mind. Nunez is just nothing, no wonder he only played roughly 15 games for Madrid after being there since he was a kid. We had better make up for this in the League Cup. Hopefully progress a little further in the Champions League and reach top 4 in the league. It's sickening for me as the FA Cup is my favourite competition.

I'll always love the FA Cup, some of my best memories as a childhood football fan came from that competition, such as the '86 and '89 finals against Everton for example. Liverpool going out to Burnley hasn't dented my enthusiasm for it one little bit.

As far as I was concerned, we were there for the taking even before Benitez fielded the weakened team. And at the end of the season, if we've finished top 4 I don't think I'll be complaining too much. Personally I would've thought it possible to do that AND make a bit of progress in the cup, but I'll give the manager the benefit of the doubt on this one. Besides, the guy who scored the o.g. has been first team for most of the season anyway.

Plus - come on, as a Liverpool fan, there's been far worse cup moments than that. Wimbledon, Bolton and Bristol City immediately spring to mind.

As far as the FA cup goes, while I might always love it, I'd say the moment United pulled out in 2000, that was the magic forever tarnished. Say what you want but it's kinda hard to keep a sense of prestige when one of the biggest clubs in the world would rather have a holiday in a mickey mouse tournament in Brazil than play in it.

But hey - that FA, scumbags eh?