WWE planning barbed wire cage match?

PHIZZLE

Could WWE be going exteme in '05?

Promotional material for WWE's No Way Out PPV in February is advertising that the promotion's first ever barbed wire cage match will take place on the show.

The closest WWE has come to this type of match is the use of a barbed wire bat during a few Mick Foley matches. Foley and Terry Funk wanted to do a no ropes exploding barbed wire match for WrestleMania 14, but the idea was dropped when WWE got Mike Tyson for the show.

Interestingly enough, the show is scheduled to take place in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where the use of barbed wire in a wrestling match has been banned.

Credit: PWInsider.com

The original idea for the dumpster match at WM14 was to have a no-rope barb-wire match. The N.A.O. were keen to do it. I think it was the building security that vetoed it.

Also when the Dudleys were fueding with X-Pac and Road-Dogg, the end of the fued was meant to be a flaming tables match. Again all competitors were keen, going so far as Bubba and D-Von teaching X-Pac and R-D how to take a powerbomb through the burning wood.

It's gonna be awkward being in Phileadelphia. The State Commission of Pennsylvania has banned barbed wire thanks to CZW. I could see WWE doing one similar to the Hogan/Flair barbed wire steel cage match at Uncensored 1999, but I can't think of who would actually be in the match from the SmackDown side.

I can see WWE doing this, I mean they haven't been as hardcore since the hardcore title was dropped and every other orgamnization are now more hardcore styled than WWE so I think it could be done and I would be very happy to see it, I am thinking either Dudleyz or Rob Van Dam only because they will probably be the only people wanting to do it.

If one goes ahead, and I don't think it will, It'll be a main event - JBL versus whoever is insane enough to 'wrestle' in such an environment. We already know JBL is prepared to suffer lunatic bloodloss in a main event and its a good idea to disguise his plodding style with some kind of gimmick like this.

It wouldn't be RVD for certain, he's a total midcarder and was never a barbed wire kind of guy anyway. I'd go for Guerrero out of the current posse of contenders.

Yeah thing is I think people are getting too excited by the fact that it's named a "Barbed Wire Cage Match". You could chuck a normal cage in there, have some barbed wire at the top to stop anyone getting out and all of a sudden it's a barbed wire cage match when the reality is that it's no more hardcore than any other cage match.

If the WWE do it, good for them, but don't expect it to be some match where the cage is covered all the way over in barbed wire and people are cutting themselves all over the place because it's unlikely to be (nor should it be) that hardcore.

I personally don't enjoy hardcore wrestling and just think that it iis a way to disguise a wrestles limitations. When the hardcore violence(barbed wire, thumbtacks for the whole match ect) replaces wrestling, it is going to far, but when wrestlers wrestle and then sneak in the hardcore stuff at the right time, than it can be good

If the Philadelphia Sports Assosciation has banned the use of barbed wire in wrestling matches, and they are having the event in Philadelphia, then there is no chance of it happening unless they move the location of the event. I hope they do hold this though and find some way around it. :lol

I personally don't enjoy hardcore wrestling and just think that it iis a way to disguise a wrestles limitations. When the hardcore violence(barbed wire' date=' thumbtacks for the whole match ect) replaces wrestling, it is going to far, but when wrestlers wrestle and then sneak in the hardcore stuff at the right time, than it can be good[/quote']

I can see what your saying but most men wrestle as hardcore competitors and are known for it, in this case they are not hiding their wrestling limitations because they are known worldwide for what they have done on the hardcore side of wrestling. This occurs to IMO many of the former ECW superstars that put thmselves on the line to put on a great show for the fans.

Yeah when you think of something to do with Barbed Wire you usually think to yourslef Foley. But cant see a decent opponent for Foley from SD that that suits being in that sort of match with him. Maybe No Way Out will be Raw, and SD will have a different PPV In February, but cant see that happening. If it is Raw however then id like to see Foley vs HHH in the match, but as Jayden said it will probably just be barbed wire at the top to stop from getting out or something like there will be 4 barbed wire bats in each corner and when you climb up and get it, it will be legal to use.

It's not exactly anything to be excited about, As has already been said...Hogan and Flair had a Barbed Wire cage match back in 1999 at Uncensored and that was pretty poor if my memory proves correct, It's been sometime since I last watched it. Basically a Steel Cage with Barbed Wire on the top, Which barely got used.

Hardly an "extreme" concept like some people seem to be making it out to be. I can't see it being anything other this really.

Well when you think Barbed Wire Cage you think of FMW and Hayabusa, Tanaka, Onita, Cactus Jack and Funk....

But then again they had exploding and electrocuting cages too...

If done properly it cloud be sick and as the WWE showed with Randy v Foley at Backlash they will push the boat out. That had Barbed Wire boards, thumbtacks, tables and the infamous Barbed Wire 2x4.... All it needed was explosions or fire and it would have been a FMW main event... Add light tubes and bulbs and you'd have had a Big Japan or XPW event....

So if the WWE is rumoured to be doing it then it may happen. But who on Smackdown is hardcore enough to take this on to the full hilt?

As reported, the plan at No Way Out is for a Barbed Wire Cage Match at the upcoming SmackDown! No Way Out PPV on 2/20.

At last word from WrestlingObserver.com, WWE was set to have Big Show vs. JBL in the cage, although there was talk that a name or two might be added to boost the appeal of the match. In any event, it should be interesting to see if and how WWE pulls off the 'extreme' new match.

Source:NoDQ.com

Well...I think if Big Show Vs JBL is indeed going to take place inside this "Barbed Wire Cage" I wouldn't expect anything too extreme. In fact I'd be willing to predict it'd probably be the worst main event you'll ever see, Barbed Wire or Not. Surely they wouldn't waste a promising gimmick match by having Big Show and JBL stink the place up.

The only person innovative enough to perhaps make use of the Barbed Wire on Smackdown that I can see right now is Rob Van Dam. But I somehow doubt he'll be returning to the Main Event anytime soon after skipping the Iraq trip.

Big Show? JBL?

Somebody tell me again why I still watch the WWE? I am that much of a sadist git?

Ah well thats we not watching the main event of No Way.If theyput some good stuff on I'll watch the rest of the card, but not that, just have a cagematch cause the barbed wire will be the fake rubber stuff and won't even be used that much...

On a side note, good on Rob, they piss him about so he gives em it back. Plus its Christmas and he's got family, he's not gonna spend time in a hot, unsafe country promoting an unjust war when he can sit at home and have a good time.

STOP THE PAIN!

Why? Just have a Hell In A Cell and let Taker throw the useless git off it for all that time he spent talking and reading poetry during Smackdown... Oh and for being crap and injuring Stevie Richards...

Note to Vince... STUPID GIMMICK MATCHES DO NOT EQUAL PPV BUYS!

Can't see it being Taker/Heidenreich to be honest, The whole point of a cage usually is to keep people from interfering or to make it more difficult for the heel to run away. Heidenreich hasn't exactly been doing a lot of running, JBL has, Heidenreich hasn't had a lot of people doing run ins for him, JBL has. So I'd have thought it'd be common sense that JBL will be involved.

Can't see it being Taker/Heidenreich to be honest, The whole point of a cage usually is to keep people from interfering or to make it more difficult for the heel to run away.
If we're talking logical booking then yes, any gimmick added to a match should be relevant in the feud it is a part of. Of course this is the WWE and half the gimmicks they add to matches have no relevance whatsoever. I could see them chucking Taker and Heidy in there working on the premise that there's only one way to finish it off once and for all or something like that. The fact that JBL in a cage makes more logical sense because of outside interference and running away is irrelevant what with this being the WWE creative team.