WWE MVP of 2004?

Simon

Who has been WWE Wrestler of the year?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been WWE Wrestler of the year?

• Chris Jericho
    • Chris Benoit
    • HHH
    • Shawn Michaels
    • Kane
    • Christian
    • Shelton Benjamin
    • Randy Orton
    • Eddie Guerrero
    • JBL
    • Big Show
    • Kurt Angle
    • Undertaker
    • John Cena
    • Other

Unbelievably, it is almost the end of 2004... and time once again to ask who has been the WWE MVP for the year that has just gone by.

Of course in 2002 TWO users said Kurt Angle and in 2003 you all said Chris Jericho, but this year at the half way point of 2004 most people thought Chris Benoit. We've had a painfully bad year in Smackdown whilst Raw has been reasonably entertaining throughout. Overall perhaps not as bad as some years but still lacking that little bit extra.

But who in your opinion has been the Most Valuable Wrestler to the WWE this year?

For me I've had to stick with Chris Benoit, my original choice earlier this year. I mean the man had a great title run in my opinion and proved everybody wrong. He didn't need fancy catchphrases or a funny facial expression to get over, and love him or hate him you have to admit he had a pretty damn good year. Solid matches to compliment a solid title run, and the man is so over that sometimes its crazy to think that this is the same Benoit I found boring 2-3 years ago.

Failing that I would probably have to give a strange choice and say Shelton Benjamin. He's had an outstanding year... though I honestly dunno if I'd feel right saying he was MVP of this year... It's been a difficult year to choose from however because nobody has really stood out like they usually do. I'd have to also maybe give kudos to HHH finally since he's had a reasonably good year though really needs to take a step back from the title soon.

How about you guys? (Sorry is there any chance one of the mods could make the poll a public one?)

Edited by Simon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, it's gotta be Benoit. He won the second best Royal Rumble of all time, contributed a hell of a lot to one of the best Wrestlemania main events ever, had a brilliant title run for months where he constantly put on enjoyable matches and since then he's had an unspectacular, but solid run where he's taken part in a few decent tag team matches.

It's not been a great year for breakout stars. Guys like Cena and Orton have made a bigger impression this year than they had in the past, but they're both pretty lousy in the ring, and I have no real interest in either man. Then on the other hand, the people who have dominated both shows, namely HHH and JBL, are both very plain workers who also bore me, the latter to the extent that I barely have any interest in anything on Smackdown!.

I can see why a lot of people would pick someone like Eddie or Shelton for this poll, because they're the only two guys I can see rivalling Benoit in terms of having a good year. I don't see any competition for these three guys, but no doubt we'll end up with plenty of votes for HHH and JBL, from the usual loonies. :)

• Like 1

Has to be JBL for me. OK so hes not the best wrestler, or best talker (even though his promos are excellent) but he has achieved more than anyone thought he would. Benoit had to get his chance and hes probably not as good as he was. I and others knew HHH would be top dog. The only rival for me, to JBL, was Eddie but Id put me choosing JBL over Eddie because I prefer JBLs character. Shelton hasnt impressed me much. In fact without HHH he wouldnt be on this poll. hes just a solid worker. Randy Orton was pushed too son and with him not being near the title for a while now it makes his reign seem a fluke.

JBL went from being a jobber to a REAL main event star IMO. Not many could do that with his sucess so thats why he is my pick.

Edited by Jack

It has to be benoit, the two thripe threat match of the year candiates, The great matches with HBK on Raw, All the good tag matches he has been involved in on Raw throughout the year. The good ppv matches with HHH and Randy Orton and Kane. He has been the most consistent worker this year. I would place HBK second for his involment in the great triple threat matches and great Raw match with Benoit and the great match with HHH on the first Raw of the year in San Antonio. He also dragged a decent match out of Kane on his comeback and was involved some other good Raw matches.

HHH would come third as this is his first consistently good year since his amazing 2000 run. His work in Evolution has been good throughout and has participated in some great matches. Now all he needs to do is step back and drop the title as he no longer needs it to remain over.

Christian or Chris Jericho are my MVPs. If "breakout star" is required, Shelton Benjamin gets that one.

But for me, RAW could not have been half as entertaining without Jericho or the CLB. They've made my year, to be honest. Eddie has to be another consideration, but I can't see how anyone other than Jericho and Christian can get it. Benoit hasn't broken out - he's wrestled as well as he has any other year, if not worse. Just stepped up the intensity a little. Big wow. Ok champion, nothing more, and definately NOT the guy to carry the company or the belt.

For me, it has to be JBL. I'm not a particular fan of his but when SD needed a major heel after WM, he stepped up, took the ball and ran with it (surprisingly enough). He's not the best in the ring or on the mic ( his mic skills are a hell of a lot better now than they were ) but he's managed to play the heel role well IMO.

Unsuprisingly it's Benoit from me, He's the only one on that list who's had a paticularly solid year and hasn't really dissapointed at all this year in any of his big matches, With perhaps the exception of the match with Kane at Bad Blood, However considering how very little focus was placed on that match, I suppose it's forgivable.

I was tempted to go for Eddie, But he's had a somewhat dissapointing finish to the year. Shelton Benjamin is perhaps another good option but again, He's another who's fizzled out towards the end of the year when he really shouldn't have done.

MVP of the Year. Chris Benoit.

We aren't talking Breakout Star of the Year because there hasn't been one. OK, Benoit isn't the guy to carry the company but there isn't ANYONE in that company who is working full time that can carry that company and if you think there is then you are kidding yourself on. Christian or Jericho, as much as I love them, couldn't carry the company either. Truth be told, only person that could is The Rock.

Rocky is the only guy at the moment who can carry that company so lets not make out Jericho or Christian to be better than they can be.

In terms of expectations, JBL has been excellent really. But in terms of someone who the average mark didn't care about but now is totally behind, has to be Benoit.

Most Valuable Player of the Year - Chris Benoit. :worship

Edited by The Crippler

JBL for me, he's entertaining on the mic and puts on decent matches now. Cant be bother listing everything, cause ive done it a million times, but i will anyway :P . Good matches with Eddie, one with Undertaker, vs Booker, the Fatal 4 way, and this week on SD with Angle. His facial expressions are top notch, and the time when he had his hat on his neck brace was comedy gold.

In Second place for me is Captain Charisma, he's done great all year, played the CLB role great, had some good matches, and his new ring jacket sums it all up :lol

We aren't talking Breakout Star of the Year because there hasn't been one.

Listen to the next TWO Radio - Si makes no real disconnection between MVP and Breakout from what I remember - which is why I brought it up.

OK, Benoit isn't the guy to carry the company but there isn't ANYONE in that company who is working full time that can carry that company and if you think there is then you are kidding yourself on. Christian or Jericho, as much as I love them, couldn't carry the company either. Truth be told, only person that could is The Rock.

Never once said anyone could. I've said plenty of times that I honestly feel only Rock and Brock could lead the company successfully. But I'd take the charisma and talent of sports-entertainers in Jericho and Christian than wrestler-and-nothing-more Benoit. And since most internet fans cum in their pants at the thought of Benoit as champ, I'm arguing against it because I think he failed and would fail again as champion.

Rocky is the only guy at the moment who can carry that company so lets not make out Jericho or Christian to be better than they can be.

Again, total misquoting. I said a) that RAW wouldn't have been half as entertaining for me without Christian and Jericho, and b) that of all the people to carry both belt and company, Benoit is not the man for either in my opinion, and I still believe that. There's a difference between being highly entertaining and carrying a belt and company. Do I think Jericho can carry the company? No I don't. HHH can't do it, so Jericho can't. But I believe Jericho would make a better champion than Mr Wolverine would (and a better champion now than in 2001).As for Christian - well, I don't think he should be anywhere near the belt either, but I'd take him over The Canadian Charisma Killer.

You said before he was an ok champion and now a failure? He wasn't a failure of a champion.

Again, as much as I like Jericho, Benoit was a much better World Champion than Jericho ever was.

The Canadian Charisma Killer. Arf. He isn't as bad as some would make out.

I'd like to say one thing in comparison. Chris Benoit was booked to success, Chris Jericho was booked to fail. Compare the booking between the two runs, if Jericho had booking like Benoits, it would certainly have been successful than the HHH/Steph feud (featuring guest stars: Chris Jericho and HHH's Dog!)

I'm not really saying Jericho couldn't be a good World Champion. Just when you look at the two title runs, Benoit obviously had the better run.

I do resent it when folk say Benoit was a failure of a champion when he really wasn't. Ratings weren't down any more than they where before and while he wasn't earth shattering in his drawing power, he brought honour and prestige to the title.

I'm not really saying Jericho couldn't be a good World Champion. Just when you look at the two title runs, Benoit obviously had the better run.

I do resent it when folk say Benoit was a failure of a champion when he really wasn't. Ratings weren't down any more than they where before and while he wasn't earth shattering in his drawing power, he brought honour and prestige to the title.

Let's put it this way, if Jericho had a huge Wrestlemania win, and Chris Benoit was close to jobbing on curtain jerking matches during his title run, you'd be saying the exact same thing I am now.

Benoit was curtain jerking against Rhyno in a "World Title Match", alright he wasn't close to jobbing, but he was still curtain jerking. He was also curtain jerking in a PPV the month after he lost the title in a tag match with William Regal.

All this still doesn't get away from the fact that Benoit had a better title reign than Chris Jericho who I've still pointed out could be a good World Champion.

Also, you talk of Benoit's big WrestleMania win and then talk of Jericho's winning the title as if it wasn't really significant. Jericho defeating Austin and The Rock, two of the three biggest names in the history of the business on the same night to win the WCW AND the WWF Championships - I think that is a pretty big PPV success. Maybe not WrestleMania XX standard but it is hardly getting a fluke win against a transitional champion on Raw.

You said before he was an ok champion and now a failure? He wasn't a failure of a champion.

Eddie Guerrero, in my opinion, was a great champion. But he was a failure because he let the pressure get to him, and did nothing to really boost buyrates or ratings. Although to his credit, he did something Benoit and co didn't, which was open to a new wrestling fanbase in the latinos of America.

Benoit, for me, was ok. A few decent matches, one absolute belter (yes, even I enjoyed it), and great booking, but he never looked or acted the part of WWE champion. I couldn't take him seriously next to the Hogans or Austins. For me, he failed because he never looked like a champion, and additionally didn't add anything to the product or fanbase, nor did he ever receive the pops of the Guerreros except at Wrestlemania and in Canada.

Shockingly, I would say JBL was a better champion. Shit wrestler, but strong entertainer, even through awful booking (do writers not realise that no clean wins = champion looking like a worthless drip, heel or not?). And most of all, he's no longer shown distain or indifference, but actual heel heat that lasts. He's overcome a lot of odds, and has proven a hell of a lot to me this year.

Also I think pointing out Benoit isn't the guy who can carry the company then not being able to come up with anyone on the current roster who can carry the company is a bit of a weak reason to say Benoit is "NOT" the man to carry the company.

I've heard from many an internet fan that Benoit IS the man to carry the company. I'm stating otherwise. So hard a statement to comprehend?

Although if we're going down this route, let's think about the top draws in WWE history:

Hulk Hogan - Poor wrestler, great look, hugely charismatic, great on the mic

The Rock - Decent wrestler, great look, hugely charismatic, great on the mic

Stone Cold - Great wrestler, good look, hugely charismatic, great on the mic

Now why am I supposed to believe, from looking back, that Benoit is even remotely close to being the man to carry the company? If I'm utterly forced to make a choice as to who would be capable of carrying the WWE, of being a merchandise goldmine and taking WWE back into the mainstream, it may be an unpopular choice, but it's not Orton, or Jericho, or Batista. It's John Cena. Good wrestler? No. But he's got a great look, he shits charisma for breakfast, he's great on the mic, and he, like JBL, took a gimmick that everyone said would be a regular on Velocity within a month, and made it into a merchandise goldmine, an upper mid card act, and for a short while made marks and smarks alike want him in the main event.

Ok, his act is a little stale right now, but he's proven to be the master of reinvention and has a great attitude for the business and the mainstream audience - mark my words: he's gonna get chance after chance, and he's going to be THE next big thing.

But that's another rant in itself :)

I don't think I've seen that many people say (and believe me, I'm a massive mark of his) that Benoit is the man to carry the company. There is a difference between being a good champion (Which Chris Benoit was) and being the man to carry the company.

I'd agree that Cena is probably the man (if any) that would be able to carry the WWE. If he continues with his badass styled character, which I like a lot, I think that could get WAY over.

Again, I'm not saying Benoit is the man who is going to carry the WWE (he is close to 40 afterall) but using that as a reason for him not being a wrestler of the year is weak in comparison to the other guys on the roster who haven't really shown a great deal themselves in comparison to Benoit.

I can see the reasons behind your nominations for Jericho and Christian. Both have had good years despite a lack of push. I just can't see your reasoning behind what seems to be your dismissal of Chris Benoit when he's had some great matches this year, been a very solid champion and dropped the belt in a hugely admireable fashion (considering he was a babyface).

Also' date=' you talk of Benoit's big WrestleMania win and then talk of Jericho's winning the title as if it wasn't really significant. Jericho defeating Austin and The Rock, two of the three biggest names in the history of the business on the same night to win the WCW AND the WWF Championships - I think that is a pretty big PPV success. Maybe not WrestleMania XX standard but it is hardly getting a fluke win against a transitional champion on Raw.[/quote']

Yeah let's be serious about this:

- Jericho defeated The Rock a month beforehand at No Mercy, so it wasn't exactly a groundbreaking victory. Great match, but not exactly "Oh my God" material. And then he defeated Austin, who was just turning back from a heel run and didn't even have half of the momentum the 1998 Austin had. Say I'm making excuses, but think realistically - if Jericho had have defeated Austin at his 98 popularity peak, that would have been absolutely HUGE!!! By 2002, Austin was fighting guys like Scott Hall and Big Show alongside Bradshaw before walking out after being asked to job to rookie Brock Lesnar around two months after his debut. Talk about a fall from grace. Jericho was practically fighting a wasted entity.

- Benoit defeated the guy who was at the time the biggest pushed star in WWE TV, who had been slated for almost two years of being the most selfish worker in the back, who looked out for himself and made everyone around him, bar his friends, look weak and worthless. Benoit did that CLEANLY. He looked strong going in, and even stronger walking out. Booked to absolute perfection. He overcame the odds (a face storyline that almost always works - underdog build up = simple but bloody effective - doesn't really work with heels) and even had the huge celebration and was main eventing the month after and being the prominant champion on RAW in terms of card positioning, taking on all comers and beating them cleanly, fairly and squarely.

I must also point out that I believe the match with Rhyno was quite highly competitive and Benoit came out strong. IIRC, Jericho had to cheat to retain against color commentator Tazz in the opening match on SmackDown...

Jericho was also a heel, hence the cheating against Tazz.

As for the Jericho beating Austin and Rock thing, I've already said it wasn't as big as Benoit beating Triple H at Mania 20. I just stated that it wasn't quite as throwaway as Colin would have us believe. Jericho defeated both Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock in the same night. That isn't bad. Of course the rest of the run was a farce but then I'm still not sure where we are going with this as I've said Jericho could be a good champion but his reign wasn't as good as Benoit's, hence, seeing as both have only had the title once (I know Benoit has had it twice but I don't count that farce of a win against Sid), Benoit was the better champion.

Again' date=' I'm not saying Benoit is the man who is going to carry the WWE (he is close to 40 afterall) but using that as a reason for him not being a wrestler of the year is weak in comparison to the other guys on the roster who haven't really shown a great deal themselves in comparison to Benoit.[/quote']

I've not said I held his age or ability of carriability against him. I said Jericho and Christian were more entertaining. I honestly could care less if Benoit wrestled 5* matches every night of the week, put everyone over and had the best moveset ever. If he doesn't entertain me in and out of the ring, he's nothing to me. I brought up the carriability of the company from what I've read and from how he's been portrayed by the internet community, because people seem to be under the impression (not directly here - don't forget I frequent a number of forums and chatrooms) that great wrestlers can carry the WWE. ROH maybe, but not the WWE. And right now, WWE DOES need someone to rise up and carry the company, with the rest providing the strong backup to help heave the product up. Hogan had superlative talent in Savage, Hart, Rude, etc to help him, but he was the main attraction. Austin had DX, Val Venis, Jeff Jarrett, The Corperation and others to back him up, but he was THE star. Who remembers all the other stars of Rocky? Not many I'd imagine, and those who do name Sly Stallone first, because he's the main star. Friends had a lot of background characters to boost the creative direction of the show, but the main six were the show, and what it was all about. Would Seinfeld be Seinfeld without Seinfeld? WWE isn't a sport. It's entertainment, and whilst Eastenders and Coronation Street can get away with having many "stars of the show", it's the main storylines that sell it to the public. I can't remember his name, but he was the guy who drowned the woman and her daughter and granddaughter (:P). Anyhoo, my point is that he was the main heel. The show, although it had it's many mini storylines, was built all around him and getting his come-uppence, and as a result, the Street soared to tremendous success in the ratings, to the point that Eastenders hasn't seemed to have recovered much since, except for Dirty Dens return (yet again, the show built around one man).

Long point, but that's it :P