Coulthard signs for Red Bull

BRM

COULTHARD COMPLETES RED BULL DEAL

Friday 17th December 2004

David Coulthard will spend 2005 with the Red Bull team after signing a one-year deal with the Milton Keynes-based outfit.

The Scot was left without a drive for next season when he was replaced by Juan Pablo Montoya at McLaren, and when Jaguar was sold by parent company Ford it looked like Coulthard had run out of options.

However, Red Bull's buy-out of the Jaguar team gave the 33-year-old an opening and he will take his place on the grid for the 12th consecutive season.

Coulthard's partner at the new team has yet to be confirmed, although Christian Klien is expected to pip Vitantonio Liuzzi to the seat when a decision is announced in the New Year.

Klien drove for Jaguar last season on the back of substantial Red Bull backing and despite a largely disappointing campaign, that experience is expected to earn the Austrian the drive.

Could be a good move Red Bull although david couuthard has never been naturally fast he will bring plenty of experience from his days with Mclaren and williams.

It also give coulthard a final stab at formula 1 i just hope he does not go down the same road that Damon Hill did in his final year at Jordan.

I think the experience he has was probably a big factor in their decision to sign him and his race wins. Hes not that brilliant a driver and in recent years hes blown hot and cold and been probably the most inconsistent driver around but it is good to know at least there are still people on the grid who have beaten the Shumacher/Ferrari regime before and hopefully we can have a more exciting season this year

In a sense its a great move for Red Bull racing, as they have signed a vastly experienced driver who will bring recognition to the team straight away. However considering Coulthards form over the past two or three seasons then maybe its not such a great thing. Although the Mclaren car has not been the most reliable out of the bunch, David hasnt been the best of drivers, showing inconsistencies worthy of the Minardi and Sauber cars! I just think its about time David Coulthard thought about moving on either to a different formula or on to retirement.

Coultard will do nothing for Red Bull. He needs to race GT or Touring cars. The McLaren car can't be used as an excuse for him cause Kimi has been rather sucessful with it while David has fell off big time. He's just over the hill. I'm so happy that he's of Mclaren cause now Kimi can handle his business against Ferrari with David doing nothing for the squad.

Kimi + Juan Pablo = Ferrari is going down!

Juan Pablo is useless, his only saving grace is that he tries to drive Schumi off the track any chance he gets which i like him for.

My friend actually worked for Williams int he trucks and Juan climbed one and started jumping on it as he was drunk, my mate got out and told him if he did anything to the trcuk he would pay and when Juan Pablo dented the truck they took away his race win bonus. I got loads of free Williams stuff from him too

Archived