Puro Fans Vs 'American Wrestling' fans

Paul

Recently on the forums there has been a growing ammount of seemingly arrogent posts from people who are primarly fans of Puro on people who are fans of the more 'American' style of pro wrestling. The thread on 5 Star matchs is a good place to see this.

Now why is this happening? Sure Puro fans argue that its a better style than the US style of showmanship, but that doesnt make it any less of a style. In fact many people will prefer to have some pomp in their shows (personaly I prefer Puro too, but I still enjoy the WWE/US things too).

So I am asking all you Puro fans to remember that Puro IS NOT better, just different!

Thanks.

Word!

See, this is the thing. I prefer US wrestling but I wouldn't ever call it better. I would just say it suits what I like more. I wouldn't act superior to anyone who prefers puro, why would I? It's like an Eastenders fan acting arrogant towards a Coronation Street mark. what's the point?

I like puro, but I love US wrestling. Each to their own but please as Darky said try to respect that. We all like different aspects of wrestling, we are all individuals with different likes and dislikes.

I dismiss anyone who tries to act superior because they prefer a different style of wrestling as narrow minded.

Take ROH for instance. Personalyl I don't like it, it bores me. I think puro offers better wrestling, and I think TNA offers better storylines. So why would I watch it? I don't ever sit here and tell ROH fans that they obviously don't understand what makes a good match or a good show though and I wouldn't expect the same thing from them.

I agree... I always feel that people need to realise, be it lucha libre/puro/sports entertainment/hardcore style, that everyone is entitled to their own taste in wrestling. You even get this kind of arrogance with cruiserweight fans sometimes as well I feel.

Personally my favourite is Sports Entertainment style as well but I can enjoy the rest at times. I wouldn't say that makes me any less of a wrestling fan than a puro/lucha libre mark.

I too can enjoy both sides' output. I've seen so much US wrestling that it's hard not to find something to love from there, but on the other hand most of my favourite matches of all time all took place in Japan.

I respect people who enjoy US wrestling and try to find alternatives to WWE. I don't think there's anything wrong with not watching Puro, as if you don't have access to TWC or the internet it can be a bit pricey, not to mention daunting to get started, due to the vast amount of shows and promotions on offer.

I also have sympathy for guys like Singhy and Mr Dragon, who maybe aren't quite as patient with some WWE fans as they should be. Well, that's the nice way of putting it, but what I mean is that they hate marks. :)

I do see where they're coming from though, because to spend so much time and money tracking down some top notch wrestling, then go to discuss it only to be told that some awful Hogan match was much better due to the fact that there was a hot crowd IS frustrating. I think that while some Puro fans should be more open to the US scene, because let's face it, over the years there have been some cracking matches to come out of America, I also believe that a lot of WWE fans should ditch the "If it didn't happen in WWE, it sucked" mentality, because that's just as annoying to Puro fans.

Agreed. I love Pro-Wrestling. That's all anyone needs to know or care about.

I'm an ECW mark, also a BIG mIke Awesome mark, but I realise why some people don't like him and that's fine. If you want solid technical wrestling put Bob Backlund in the ring with The Pug. I'll be watching Awesome vs Tanaka.

Yeah I think the point is this, there's absolutely nothing wrong with...

"Can't say I agree, for me the xxxxxx Vs xxxxxx match was much better. I really enjoyed it"

but there is a lot wrong with.....

"no you're wrong. This is the sign of a good match......., now what you've said. How the hell can you think this match is better than that one?"

and I'm sure I've been just as guilty of coming out with that as anyone else.

It's just opinion though, I look for one thing in wrestling, you may look for another. Neither of us is rigth or wrong, both of us enjoy what we are watching and that's all that matters.

a lot of WWE fans should ditch the "If it didn't happen in WWE' date=' it sucked" mentality, because that's just as annoying to Puro fans.[/quote']

I agree with this. For example, people often overlook the fact that NJPW was the top promotion in the world,93-95 and that WCW was top in 96-98. People say that Kevin Nash is a bad draw because his title reign in the WWF was poor, but he was he and Scott Hall main reason WCW became No 1 promotion, and not only Hogan, because had joined in 94.

Back to the subject of Puro and American wrestling, they are both different styles which i both love and can watch at different times. But overall, the quality of matches in Japan are better, but ***** North American matches can compete with any ***** Japaneese match.

If it didn't happen in WWF/E it sucked (just kidding)

I appreciate puro for what it is as did Eric Bischoff when he stole the nWo gig from Japan.

I just prefer my wrestling with knobs on, is all.

It just doesn't float my boat watching ultra stiff competition all the time, in fact it's at the stage now where I generally tune in to see how Taker is doing.

I also like watching FWA on TWC but hey there's a lot of wrestling about, and with the WWE smarks and internet buzz, WWE wrestling has become predictable, because *"Suplay City" from **WFN.com told us it was going to happen so when it does there is no shock or excitement. I might not read the 'net for WWE info anymore.

Spiritchaser

*invented mark

** invented site

Back to the subject of Puro and American wrestling, they are both different styles which i both love and can watch at different times. But overall, the quality of matches in Japan are better, but ***** North American matches can compete with any ***** Japaneese match.

They can except two... Misawa v Kobashi January 1997 and Misawa v Kawada Summer 1994.

Exactly, and this is the point of this place. If we all came here and someone posted a thread saying....

"Misawa Vs Kawada, greatest match of all time?" and every single person replied....

"Yes". Then what would be the point of that? We all know what we like from wrestling and we all find ways to let the business entertain us. The fact that those things are different mean that things are only better than others in our own eyes, not universally. No one match, worker, promotion etc etc would we all agree on and nor should we otherwise this place would be completely redundant.

Hey just to start "Each to his own" as Gringo says....

I am a massive Puro/Joshi fan and love ROH/IWA-MS/NWA-TNA. I currently hate the WWE, as i think even on a pure Sports Entertainment basis (discounting the wrestling) it sucks a whole lot.

I admit that i myself ocassionaly may dismiss what someone has said in a thread, but this is purely because i can't see the viewpoint/perspective they are coming from.

I am more than happy to say that i am someone who hates Marks on the IWC, but i am also happy to say that they are a necessary evil in to the wrestling business.

I think that all the friendly banter (or arguing as some people may see it) on the site is just what we need. It will hopefully make WWE fans go and check out some Puro, but also make people like myself go back and watch Warrior/Hogan or Mankind/Taker again and re-evaluate my view on the match!

We're all marks whether we like it or not. ROH fans may think they're smart to the business and appreciate the fine art of technical wrestling and such, but look at when guys like Tommy Dreamer and Mick Foley came in - they practically creamed themselves twice over. Puro fans appreciate great hard-hitting wrestling but they'll still fall to their knees in awe at Kobashi or Misawa or Akiyama. Sometimes we slip out of the "nicely executed move - he sells pretty well - that spot fit in well with the psychology and pacing there" mentality and it becomes simply "WOW!" and although we all have different keys to the Mark garden (for me it may be Hogan/Warrior, for the guy next to me it may be Flair/Steamboat, or Kobashi/Misawa, or Lyger/Mask, or Storm/Williams), it still has the desired effect.

Wrestlings great that way. We all appreciate different things, and appreciate them in different ways, but it's usually always for the same desired effect, and who can argue with that? :)