BNP Leader arrested

Paul

Should the BNP be banned?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should the BNP be banned?

• Yes
    • No
    • Wish it could be,but reember free speech!?

LONDON (Reuters) - Police have arrested the leader of the far-right British National Party after he was secretly filmed calling Islam "a wicked, vicious faith".

The arrest of Nick Griffin, one-time host of French National Front leader Jean-Marie Le Pen, was warmly welcomed by Muslims, some of whom said the government should ban the BNP altogether.

Police arrested Griffin, 45, at his family farmhouse in Wales and took him to West Yorkshire, where officers are conducting a major probe into the activities of BNP members.

Griffin, later released on bail until next March, told reporters on Tuesday: "This is an electoral scam to get the Muslim block vote back for the Labour Party."

Prime Minister Tony Blair's popularity plunged and his trust ratings plummeted after he took the country to war in Iraq.

Griffin's arrest came two days after police detained the party's 70-year-old founding chairman John Tyndall.

They have now arrested 12 people on suspicion of incitement to commit racial hatred since the investigation began five months ago. None has been charged.

The police probe was triggered by a BBC documentary, broadcast in July, which included footage of Griffin giving a speech in the northern town of Keighley in which he railed against Islam and its holy book, the Koran.

"This wicked, vicious faith has expanded through a handful of cranky lunatics about 1,300 years ago until it's now sweeping country after country," he said.

"BLOW UP MOSQUES"

Other footage in "The Secret Agent" documentary -- watched by some 4 million viewers -- shows another BNP member expressing a wish to blow up mosques with a rocket launcher and machine-gun worshippers with "about a million bullets."

Another member told how he put dog faeces through an Asian shop's letterbox, while a third described how he beat up a Muslim man. "I'm kicking away...it was fantastic," he said.

Muslims were jubilant at news of Griffin's arrest.

"At last!" said Massoud Shadjareh, chairman of the Islamic Human Rights Commission, which has long urged the government to outlaw the BNP. "This is extremely important."

"It should have been done long ago. There is no place in British society for the bigots of the BNP," he told Reuters.

The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB), the biggest lobby group for the country's 1.8 million Muslims, also welcomed the arrests, saying it hoped police would now press charges.

"The BNP has been trying to develop a more polished image and a more sophisticated discourse but the BBC documentary showed that behind that facade, the ugly reality is still the same," said MCB spokesman Inayat Bunglawala.

The party's anti-immigration stance has won it a handful of local council seats, mainly in poorer areas with large ethnic populations, but it remains on the fringe of politics.

It has nothing like the clout, for example, of the French far-right of Le Pen, who accepted an invite from Griffin to attend a BNP fund-raising dinner in northern England in April.

Credit: Reuters.com

Finally somethings being done about these idiots! Shame banning the BNP would beagainst the right to free speach and all that!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference being they are a political party, not just a lynch mob!

If we ban any groupwho's opinions we dislike then how long before Tony Blair bans every other party!!!! ;)

Well, maybe not that bad, but you get the point. Start with the BNP, then the Independance Party,then blah blah blah.

But under the new laws governing racial and religous incitement and hatred means that anybody from the man on the street to a whole political party can be arrested and dealt with as a criminal for spewing the vitriol they produce...

I think the BNP and in fact any party that spews racist and incitefull topics that could cause hatred and possible violence shoulbe be banned but the fact is how do you do it?

It would be nice to get rid of these people and their views but we do have to respect freedom of speech no matter how disgracefull their opinions are. Of course if they were in power they'd remove everyone elses right to free speech in a heartbeat.

It comes down to the old Clockwork Orange proposition - is it better to choose to be evil or be forced to be good...

I read a phamplet of the BNP's the other day when it came through my door. Nothing but vile hatred towards the muslim/islamic population of swansea. Apparantly an old abandoned church is ebing touted as being turned into a mosque - i can understand to an extent why people could be against this, its a beautiful church. However this leaflet was nothing more than an excuse to try and create a racial apartheid between the differnt cultures. It was horrendous to read - apparantly the muslims are taking over Swansea and whites are being edged out in all sections. I really could not believe that they are allowed to send this stuff out - its tone, if not its wording, could easily be used as a background for violence. We do not need people like the BNP in the UK - especially when they are trying their damndest to make Britian seperatist.

I really could not believe that they are allowed to send this stuff out - its tone' date=' if not its wording, could easily be used as a background for violence.[/quote']

Theres the problem Popsi! They are smart (for racist morons! ;)) and are careful about what and where they say things!

Instigating violence isn't the best of ideas, but who are we to say that their views are wrong when ours can be as flawed as anyone elses? I don't hate or disrespect racists because that makes me prejudiced too, so I'd be hypocritical. To be honest, a few of the BNP points make sense to me, but in my opinion, violence and the instigation of such isn't the way to go about getting the message across. Edited by DraVen

I don't agree with the BNP instigating violence.

But I don't agree with the banning of the BNP either - they are a political group and have policies etc no matter how unethical they may seem.

The fact that their policies are so extreme and unethical will not garner them any support - or not much support - anyway.

The main violence the BNP seems to instigate is between the BNP supporters and people who are anti-BNP, who are not necessarily an ethnic minority.

As for Nick Griffin wanting to 'get rid' of anybody who isn't white - which sounds somewhat like ethnic cleansing to me - what a crock of sh*t.

Doesn't Griffin realise that in the 20's,30's and 40's the British government welcomed people from Africa, India, Pakistan and other Asian cultures to come over and work?

Ethnic minorities - in particular Afro-Carribeans and Africans - have been in this country for decades and in some cases centuries.

Some of these 'Ethnic Minorities' are more British than Griffin himself!

Well that's not exactly true, c'mon. He probably is more British than any of them. I get the point you're making but it's not gonna win any arguments any time soon unless it turns out his family came from France just after the Afro-Carribeans did (which makes him hypocritical in his message and therefore a weak leader).

He also probably does realise that the foreigners were welcomed in - which is why he wants to be in power to change the way Britain opens it's arms to multi-culture. Some agree, some don't. He has his beliefs and sticks to them, much like Hitler, only Hitler was a stronger leader (and a pretty nifty speech-giver, if we're honest).

OK slight exagerration on my part :)

The most frightening thing about Griffin - as you pointed out - is his consistency with his views and policies.

Some Social Psychology study - I think it was Moscoivici - or other showed that if a minority influence is consistent with their views/policies/whatever then the majority of society tend to conform to what the minorities views are, if purley to avoid conflict.

The fact that Griffin is in a position of authority, only increases his influence.

is that kind of like McCarthism's big lie 'if you tell the same lie often enough and loud enough even if it is rubbish people will eventually believe you'

I haven't heard of that but it sounds the same...

Basically Moscoivici got four of his mates and ten volunteers to sit in a room looking at slides of different colours of blue. Each person had to announce the colour of the slide out loud.

For the first experiment he told his mates not to be consistent with the colour they shouted and thus the majority of the volunteers said the colours of the slide were blue.

For the second experiment - with a new set of volunteers - he told his mates to be consistent and for each one to announce every slide as green.

The results of the first experiment varied as his mates weren't consistent with their answers.

However, in the second experiment, the majority of the volunteers said that the slides were green and so conformed to the minority influence.

is that kind of like McCarthism's big lie 'if you tell the same lie often enough and loud enough even if it is rubbish people will eventually believe you'

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it people will eventually come to believe it." - Paul Joseph Goebbels

and more ironically since you attributed it to McCarthy,

"A lie told often enough becomes truth." - Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

OK slight exagerration on my part :)

The most frightening thing about Griffin - as you pointed out - is his consistency with his views and policies.

Some Social Psychology study - I think it was Moscoivici - or other showed that if a minority influence is consistent with their views/policies/whatever then the majority of society tend to conform to what the minorities views are, if purley to avoid conflict.

The fact that Griffin is in a position of authority, only increases his influence.

Yeah it was Moscovici. You have to be consistant and convincing to yield the majority into your way of thinking. Doesn't make what he says a lie, necessarily. Just makes him a good leader and the party a good one as far as having a point and a direction.

I haven't heard of that but it sounds the same...

Basically Moscoivici got four of his mates and ten volunteers to sit in a room looking at slides of different colours of blue. Each person had to announce the colour of the slide out loud.

For the first experiment he told his mates not to be consistent with the colour they shouted and thus the majority of the volunteers said the colours of the slide were blue.

For the second experiment - with a new set of volunteers - he told his mates to be consistent and for each one to announce every slide as green.

The results of the first experiment varied as his mates weren't consistent with their answers.

However, in the second experiment, the majority of the volunteers said that the slides were green and so conformed to the minority influence.

There were 172 participants in total, and six of them were used at a time (two of whom were confederates). 32% in the "consistant condition" reported a green slide each time. :)

There were 172 participants in total' date=' and six of them were used at a time (two of whom were confederates). 32% in the "consistant condition" reported a green slide each time. :)[/quote']

You're not studying psychology A level by any chance are you?

I know there were more people used in the experiment, I was just trying to give an example.....honest....

Never in my life did I think i would be discussing Moscovici on a wrestling forum.

As far as social psychology goes the Milgram experiment and the Stanford prison experiment pretty much tell us we're all bunch of evil b*stards even if we would like to think we're not.

Bloody hell - Milgrim now as well?

That's a whole different thread altogether!

Indeed I am studying Psychology. And Dragon is right - we're all "evil" (if such a thing exists). The BNP leader obviously wields the power that will see him by with minority influence, and the added Uniform Effect helps his cause a fair bit. Pre-World War II is a classic example of how it all works, but the BNP aren't as ruthless at the Nazi regime was, not to mention society and those within have changed considerably since, meaning it's harder to sway a mass majority in your direction when it's not considered "socially acceptable" in this day and age.

Banned for being right? No.

I agree with 'Britain for British' except in some cases. Why do we get stuck with murdering scum, who get top quality house while our own war veterans, and nice people get stuck in houses you wouldnt keep a dog in?

Most are thiefs, murderers, rapists, gang members and generally not worthy of keeping alive.

Look at the trouble Somalians, Bosnians and pretty much allMuslims cause jus by being here. Its not worth it at all.

When its said the BNP incite violence, well just having foreigner in Britian causes violence. "Paki-Bashing" in common in Bolton and that wouldnt happen if there wasnt "Pakis" would it? But it would still happen if there wasnt a BNP. Im not saying anyone deserves to be beaten up because of the colour of their skin Im just defending the reasons why people think the BNP are so bad.

They reason they 'need' to come here is mainly caused by themselves (civil war) etc and they NEVER go back even though the majority of people I know dont like them at all.

And before people come and flame me for my opinons, Im not racist. Infact one of my best mates is Asain. But these are my opinions and I belive, if we didnt have as many foreigners taht we currently have in Britian, it would be a better place. When or if there is a terrorist attack here in the UK by foreigners, I guarentee there will be a HUGE backlash on them.

Banned for being right? No.

No, banned for being wrong Jack.

Iagree with 'Britain for British' except in some cases.

Someone, quickly throw the Vikings and Romans out of our country!

Why do we get stuck with murdering scum' date=' who get top quality house while our own war veterans, and nice people get stuck in houses you wouldnt keep a dog in?[/quote']

Top quality housing? Have you seen where and how most of them live? As a student I wouldnt have lived in houses like these people are given.

Most are thiefs' date=' murderers, rapists, gang members and generally not worthy of keeping alive.[/quote']

Really? I have never met them. The only time I have seen any refugees get aggressive is when threatened by small minded bigots.

Look at the trouble Somalians' date=' Bosnians and pretty much allMuslims cause jus by being here.[/quote']

Yeah, the way they cause troubleby being attacked by racists, causing a drain on our policeforce!

Its not worth it at all.

When its said the BNP incite violence, well just having foreigner in Britian causes violence.

Oh well, send all the non Celts away.

"Paki-Bashing" in common in Bolton and that wouldnt happen if there wasnt "Pakis" would it?

Nope, it would be "chinky bashing" or "nigger bashing" (sorry for those terms people)

But it would still happen if there wasnt a BNP.

Yes as there will allways be idiots and bigots in the world.

Im not saying anyone deserves to be beaten up because of the colour of their skin Im just defending the reasons why people think the BNP are so bad.

Not very well though.

They reason they 'need' to come here is mainly caused by themselves (civil war) etc and they NEVER go back even though the majority of people I know dont like them at all.

And that doesnt tell you how bad it must have been where they came from? That they would rather face hatered than go back there? And you realise that a civil war doesnt mean EVERYONE gets involved dont you?

And before people come and flame me for my opinons' date=' Im not racist. Infact one of my best mates is Asain. But these are my opinions and I belive, if we didnt have as many foreigners taht we currently have in Britian, it would be a better place. When or if there is a terrorist attack here in the UK by foreigners, I guarentee there will be a HUGE backlash on them.[/quote']

Oh Jack,NOT racist? Racism doesnt mean just saying nasty things and beating people up. Its being ignorrent as well Jack. And thats how you come off.

The statistics are a LOT different to how the BNP portray them. Do some independant research and you may be surprised.