What's the appeal of Benoit?

Sabba Simba

I have been visiting the chatroom for a month now, and I have noticed that practically everyone likes "The Crippler." My question is why? I am not saying this to stir up bad feeling, and I know everyone's entitled to their opinion but Chris has to be the most over-rated WWF star in recent times. He doesn't get the crowd going unless he's in Canada, his brawling skills are non-evident and his matches all follow the same pattern. He seems to have got his chance because of his reputation in other companies, because he's hardly set the world alight in Stamford.

Intercontinental matches, tag-team title matches, and even WWF title matches, Chris never makes the crowd go "whoa!" at any juncture, the crowd remained embarassingly silent at KOTR 2001, would they have been so quiet if, say, The Rock was involved in that title match? And now he's back- wahey. The mention of his name on Raw hardly drew a mind-blowing reaction did it? Saying that, I don't hate Benoit at all, he is technically solid, but I don't think he is worthy of the hero-worship he recieves. Benoit, in my opinion, should learn from The Rock and Kurt Angle. Both are excellent athletes who get the reaction they crave no matter what.

So to sum up, Benoit doesn't have the look or the charisma to recieve the sort of push people believe he should get. Hopefully he'll modify his act upon his return but I doubt it. Benoit just doesn't excite me, and he never will.

I like Benoit because he is one of the few people that actually wrestles in the WWF these days.

He has managed to drag a watchable match out of everyone except Billy Gunn, which is understandable...

The guy is one of the true great talents in the sport today... what's not too like? Yes, he's a bit wooden on the mic, but when they wrestle as good as that, I can live with it.

He's probably the best north american wrestler in the world today, ok he may not set the crowd on fire but they cheered for billy gunn for years! I'm not one to be led by the fan reaction.

He may not get thw crowd going, but he gets this fan going

His brawling skills are pretty good, see his matches with austin for example

And he very rarely blows spots, there was a lot of discussion when he did blow a spot last year as it's something that hardly ever happens, in short benoit is in my WWF top 3 as he can do the one thing that matters in wrestling......he can WRESTLE!!!

Guest Melissa

Chris Benoit is a good wrester ,

but we haven't seen him in the ring that much

but when he get's back i think that he should

go and wrester ( one of top guys ).

Guest Jazzmaster
He's a tremendous wrestler and he makes other people look good. Honestly, Sabba what's your problem? The fans WERE finally starting to get behind him before his injury and he got decent heat as a heel. I don't understand why anyone would diss Benoit. Just because he doesn't get a reaction like The Rock doesn't mean he ain't good.

I don't think I have a problem by not liking Benoit. He was starting to get a bit of heat just before KOTR fair enough but where were those shows set? That's right- Canada. I encourage healthy debate, and admit i am firmly in the minority when it comes to this point of view but all I wanted was fans honest reactions.

While Benoit might not seem to have great mic skills (come on, not as a face anyway), he is without doubt worthy of the WWF title, and I hope he gets it this year. I personally like him just because he's such a damn good wrestler, and great to watch. Its really the same reason why I liked Bret Hart.

Sabba you need to ask?

Ok um no 1. Look at kevin nash who is in the main event then look at benoit.

2. You like angle don't you? I would say benoit is on a par with angle if not better than angle.

3. See the raw where he did the flying headbutt off the cage or his matches with malenko and booker T in WCW. These sealed it for me.

Personally, I don't really like Benoit at all.

Yes, of course, he is an extremely talented in-ring wrestler, and can produce some outstanding matches. However, for full entertainment value and for getting me to a watch a show or pay for a PPV, I do not rate him that highly.

Most people who have said what a good wrestler Benoit is actually know that, however some people are probably just trying to seem knowledgable by liking him.

Credit where it's due, before he was injured he was really beginning to get a large fan following as a face. He is a good heel too, but basically, in this day and age, I think being the WWF Champion requires more than just great wrestling ability.

Whilst I am sure he will be given the belt soon(ish), I personally wouldn't like to see him with it if he was just to have it for a month. He could be a superb and memorable champion if he is given a long run as champ, maybe 7 or 8 months- and maybe he could make fan's appreciate wrestling more. But if he was just to be a 2-3 month champion, he would be awful in my view. While I'm sure he'd have good matches, his ability to build up money spinning rivalries wouldn't be too good in my view.

Nobody can be The Rock on the mic, and let's not kid ourselves, Benoit is never going to be brilliant- he is forceful and deliberate on the mic, painfully so sometimes, but if he had a manager, again it would be different.

Originally posted by NJC

Most people who have said what a good wrestler Benoit is actually know that, however some people are probably just trying to seem knowledgable by liking him.

Couldn't agree more with that point. There are people who have recently started talking about how brilliant Benoit is. I remember about 18 months ago when I started going into the chat and these forums I actually got ridiculed by some people because I liked Benoit. This was when he was heel and was stuck in the midcard. Then Triple H was the smart fans wrestler. I'm not saying everyone has just started liking Benoit but I think that there are maybe people who say they like him to seem knowledgeable about wrestling. You know who you are if that is the case.

By all means like Benoit, but like him because you like him, not because other people do or because you want to sound like the ultimate smart.

I hope that made sense...

Guest Perfection

I like him because

1) He was the first wrestler i have ever seen

2) He can wrestle

3)..... a good match with anybody

4) Can adopt to any style of wrestling, be it hardcore, technical, japanese, mexican, etc, etc

Too many people only watching the shows for entertainment crap, if there were Benoit/Angle style matches on a show i would much prfer that.

Originally posted by Dreamer

Why does everybody need to like the same guy anyway? Things would be boring and dull if everyone liked the same thing...

yeah i like billy gunn, big show, the rock triple h and steph wooooooo i rule

I like him because he defies what the business has become. He's a guy who is good enough to hold his own in and around the main event without being great on the mic.

I struggle to remember a bad match with him in, everything from his matches with guys like 2 Cold Scorpio when he first entered WCW, Kevin Sullivan matches, all his stuff in the J-Cups, right through to his two rather brief world title wins.

He gets great matches out of guys like Sid, and legendary matches when you put him with a guy like Bret. Nuff said.

Fair enough if you don't like him, if we all liked the same guys then it would be far too boring and there would be no need for forums, why come here to agree with everyone.

But he is one of my fave wrestlers, whilst he might not make crowds go "woo", he makes me stand up whilst watching some of his matches. When he won his first world title I jumped out of my seat and my eyes started to water a little. for me that's what wrestling's all about.