Hassan

Lizard King

they probably want to make sure that he's established as a heel right off so they put him in a match somewhere he's likely to be unpopular

also do you think his promos are one of those rare thing where a heel is actually talking some real sense?

Edited by Anime Otaku

I think the WWE has been very lucky up to this point on angles like this one.

RAW is in Huntsville tommorrow. I wonder if it's safe to have the Arab gimmick debut in the middle of redneck country.

The WWE loves controversial material.Granted.But this is one place even they shouldnt go.The same kind of chaos that happened one month ago in the NBA could very well happen in the WWE someday. The Arab gimmick truly doesnt need to be brought to life considering what impact 9/11 has done to this contry over the last 3 years.

No doubt this guy is going to be an established heel right off the drib.Hell, he may replace HHH as top heel within a month in that case.Imagine, HHH coming to the aid of America taking a sledgehammer to the big mouth Iraqui? Wouldnt that be a twist? :lol

Edited by The Franchise

No doubt this guy is going to be an established heel right off the drib.Hell, he may replace HHH as top heel within a month in that case.Imagine, HHH coming to the aid of America taking a sledgehammer to the big mouth Iraqui? Wouldnt that be a twist?

Never gonna happen. Sure he'll be a major heel, but no way will he top HHH as the top heel. I can't see this gimmick lasting more than a few months.

The WWE loves controversial material.Granted.But this is one place even they shouldnt go.The same kind of chaos that happened one month ago in the NBA could very well happen in the WWE someday. The Arab gimmick truly doesnt need to be brought to life considering what impact 9/11 has done to this contry over the last 3 years.

This was controversial material 3 years ago. It's just old now.

True but....

This was controversial material 3 years ago. It's just old now.

Even now there is so much more the WWE could do instead of this pointless controversial storyline involving a character from Iraq.The pain of 9/11 is still fresh to alot of people.Plus people from Iraq that lives in the U.S. has it bad enough.The last thing they need is the WWE putting stereotypical fears on top of what most people already thing of them.

Sometimes I wish I could snap my fingers and bring back the days when it was less Soap Opera and more ass kicking. "Dream the impossible dream." :roll

I hate anything WWE does that is to do with the current political climate. It always stinks. I've hated basically anything they've done in the last few years that has been to do with the current climate.

Stuff like "Go on boys and whup their ass!" in reference to the US troops going to Iraq. I don't like that and that doesn't mean I'm not in support of troops in Iraq.

Then around Taboo Tuesday and the US election build up, we hear Lawler saying something like "Bush may not end up beating Kerry, he should but he he may not". I didn't think they should so publically be showing support to either candidate (albeit only an individuals support).

I've been listening to a shoot with Mick Foley and he's been saying how the company leans too much to one side and I'd totally agree with him. The company is far too right wing but at the same time America is a right wing country so I guess you can't blame WWE too much for trying to appeal to people on that part of the political compass.

Edited by The Crippler

i personally like the idea. IMO his character is one that in a liberal mind would evoke sympathy, but it is much less patronising and gives the fans the opportunity to be the bad guy by boo'ing him, depending on personal beliefs of course.

WWE are always going to try and be controversial, and this type of character was bound to happen eventually, but just recently i get the impression that the line between face and heel is being blurred slightly (eg. Edge just before his full turn had a slow heel build which IMO made him a tweener for a while) this character adds to that and i love the idea of a character being able to show traits best suited to them rather than their disposition.

What has this guy got to do with Iraq? He's an American who just happens to be of Arab decent.

His message isn't that USA is evil (like most other similar gimmicks), it's that he's picked on because he's not white. It's a race gimmick, not a political gimmick.

Personally I think it's pretty clever, because really what he's saying is true, people shouldn't pick on people because of someone from a country their ancestors came from did something wrong. Then again he's also more likely to be a terrorist! :D

Either way, I think the gimmick is a good one, and I'm hoping he'll be good in the ring too.

Ed

Well I can see him as the new Brock Lesnar, I don't think he will be rubbish because I'm sure that the WWE won't make the same mistake as what they done wiv heidenriche and also they never pushed heideriche before he made his debut on raw whereas hassan is getting pushed every week. I think this will be much better than the un-americans gimmick and ed 666 is right that he is not sayin that he hates america, all he is sayin is he wants to be treated the same because he was brought up in this country. But now thinking about it, I think he will first feud with jericho because he interupted jericho last week on raw, and the last person to first feud with jericho on their debut was Tyson Tomko and look at how crap he is when he comes to wrestling, well he hasn't since his fight with steven richards which bored every fan in the arena. :? :? :?

What has this guy got to do with Iraq? He's an American who just happens to be of Arab decent.

His message isn't that USA is evil (like most other similar gimmicks), it's that he's picked on because he's not white. It's a race gimmick, not a political gimmick.

Personally I think it's pretty clever, because really what he's saying is true, people shouldn't pick on people because of someone from a country their ancestors came from did something wrong. Then again he's also more likely to be a terrorist! :D

Either way, I think the gimmick is a good one, and I'm hoping he'll be good in the ring too.

Ed

oooo welcome back Ed :)

Where have you been?

And I agree, the gimmick is a good one and I'm looking forward to this Thursday to see how it all goes down.

but wait u say its just controversial material 3 years ago how stupid are u i am from new york and just to look at that sky light without the towers it hurts to not see them and to know the people died and it hurts even more since my mom was in the bomb threat in 1993

Where's that bleeding heart smily...?

Okay, that's harsh but the US foreign policy has caused more pain and suffering throughout the world than a thousand 9/11-style attacks. WWE's playing of the average US citizen's ignorence of their own country's actions and reasons for its actions is just adding oil to the fire. :tdown

This Iraq gimmick will die just as fast as Mordeci's did.LOL!

Well I can see him as the new Brock Lesnar' date=' I don't think he will be rubbish because I'm sure that the WWE won't make the same mistake as what they done wiv heidenriche and also they never pushed heideriche before he made his debut on raw whereas hassan is getting pushed every week. I think this will be much better than the un-americans gimmick and ed 666 is right that he is not sayin that he hates america, all he is sayin is he wants to be treated the same because he was brought up in this country. But now thinking about it, I think he will first feud with jericho because he interupted jericho last week on raw, and the last person to first feud with jericho on their debut was Tyson Tomko and look at how crap he is when he comes to wrestling, well he hasn't since his fight with steven richards which bored every fan in the arena. :? :? :?[/quote']

All that hype for nothing.This will be no different.He'll be an extra body for the Royal Rumble.After that we'll see.I doubt he'll ever be anything above Velocity status after Wrestlemania of 2005. :devil

Personally I think it's pretty clever, because really what he's saying is true, people shouldn't pick on people because of someone from a country their ancestors came from did something wrong.

What he is saying is true of course but the way they are building it is to have people boo him for what he is saying which I don't think is productive at all. Also, just because he says he is Arab American doesn't mean there won't be USA chants during his matches. If I was an Arab American in the crowd and I heard people basically booing a guy because he is Arab American (which is what they are doing at the minute because this guy hasn't attacked any faces and hasn't overly acted heelish), I'd feel very uncomfortable being in the arena.

It stinks that WWE are using 9/11 to their advantage.

Amen.

What he is saying is true of course but the way they are building it is to have people boo him for what he is saying which I don't think is productive at all. Also, just because he says he is Arab American doesn't mean there won't be USA chants during his matches. If I was an Arab American in the crowd and I heard people basically booing a guy because he is Arab American (which is what they are doing at the minute because this guy hasn't attacked any faces and hasn't overly acted heelish), I'd feel very uncomfortable being in the arena.

It stinks that WWE are using 9/11 to their advantage.

Amen.The Crippler said it all.Nothing to add. :worship

Well I think it's a good idea, a good way of getting mopre people watching it, it's a good storyline and he actually has a male manager, i haven't seen that in a long time and it makes him more serious like heidenriche, sort of.... Well i am lookin forward to seeing him, but i always look forward to debuts.

Where's that bleeding heart smily...?

Okay, that's harsh but the US foreign policy has caused more pain and suffering throughout the world than a thousand 9/11-style attacks. WWE's playing of the average US citizen's ignorence of their own country's actions and reasons for its actions is just adding oil to the fire. :tdown

that's true. thousands more have died in Iraq and Afghanistan than at 9/11.

I don't know if this counts as spoilers, so whatever

Watch RAW and these illusions will be dispelled. He starts off making sense as his "superstar debater" says but then started to just be America-bashing. There is also a HUGE RAW mark-out moment.

Edited by Russ