Satan's Grotto

Walshy

From Skynews:

ANGER OVER GROTTO

An alternative to Santa's grotto in York has outraged church leaders who fear its effect on children.

Clergymen have signed a letter expressing concerns at the Satan's Grotto attraction at York Dungeon, warning that it could expose children to "evil forces".

The attraction replaces the traditional Father Christmas with a grotesque figure in a dark cloak with a red face and horns.

Visitors to the grotto will be greeted by elves impaled on spikes or with their heads chopped off, and robins roasting over an open fire.

Santa himself is boiling in a witch's cauldron.

Visitors are also handed "gifts" such as severed fingers and other body parts, and can write on a scroll to sign their souls away.

The Rev Roger Simpson, of St Michael-le-Belfrey in York said: "There are real evil forces and we in our work come across people who are damaged seriously through their involvement with occult forces.

"We have seen the effect on people, and children in particular. What is seen as a joke and light-hearted can end up with catastrophic consequences for some people."

Mr Simpson said concerns were raised at a weekly meeting with colleagues from across the city, including clergy from the Baptist, Anglican and Roman Catholic churches.

A spokesman for the attraction said the alternative grotto had been running for many years and was not to be taken too seriously.

He added: "There are many people who are tired and weary of the commercial aspect of Christmas and for those people our attraction comes as a light relief."

Sounds like fun, although once again a huge over reaction from the church but thats the norm now. Its something a little different at least!!

People who play with fire will eventually get burned.

In the bible it says, "But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea". Matthew 18:6

Make light of playing with evil if you will. But it has real consequences.

I'm confused, people keep talking about the effects on children but surely from reading this..

The attraction replaces the traditional Father Christmas with a grotesque figure in a dark cloak with a red face and horns.

Visitors to the grotto will be greeted by elves impaled on spikes or with their heads chopped off, and robins roasting over an open fire.

Santa himself is boiling in a witch's cauldron.

Visitors are also handed "gifts" such as severed fingers and other body parts, and can write on a scroll to sign their souls away.

It's not a kids attraction is it? I mean, I wouldn't let my kids go to see it. So if it's something for adults then surely it's a bit of fun and nothing more? Would you take your kids to see severed fingers and elves impaled on spikes?

exactly its just another reason for the bible-bashing, soul-judgeing ultra- conservative wooo son of a guns *struts* (when i started typing it sounded like a flair promo) the moral majority christian fundamentalists to tell the rest of us that we are evil for having an original thought and our own tastes

dude did you swallow a bible or do you just kep one beside your computer so you can try to justify being judgemental and blinded to science??

Actually I have a Bachelor of Science degree.

I have a bible in my office, one in my car, and a study/reference bible on CD-Rom. I am not ignorant to science. I am a health sciences professional. Is this yet another case of christians, though we are hounded for supposed intolerance, being the only group who's views and beliefs are not tolerated? Seems like it to me. I have a view which is just as valid as yours or anyone elses. I respect your right to not agree with me yet you do not respect my right to have a differnent view. Who is being intolerant and/or narrow minded here hmmmm?

• Like 1

Yeah while I totally disagree with you MachoMat, despite having just as close (yet perhaps quite different) a relationship with God I still think you're entitled to your opinion.

I'm incredibly religious, totally in love with God, and the Angels, and Jesus Christ, but I couldn't call myself a Christian as I only really read half the bible (New testament as opposed to old), and never go to Church (it aint about bricks and mortar and preachers, it's inside you). While in many ways our beliefs are probabyl quite similar, in the ways that we consume ourselves with them are probably incredibly different. Does God not have a sense of humour? Would he not look down and find this little Satan's grotto ammusing? His angels are the most playful things on the planet, so where do you think they got that from? Surely he is capable of realising that it's just us humans having a bit of fun?

I understand your bible reference and the point you were making so let me ask you this. What are the consequences that you talk about, of grown adults going to see something then find a little intriguing and ammusing? This is not a kids attraction, and if it were I would think it was in particularly poor taste, in the same way I would think that of any parent that took their five year old along to see it but when it's for consenting adults who have the ability to form their own opinions and not be disturbed by something so childish why should they not be able to see it?

i see what your saying about not taking 5 year olds to see it but then again have you read any kids books like The Twits?
yes, but I don't quite see your point? All I was saying is that I don't think the effect on kids is an issue as kids shouldn't be going.

there's a massive difference between Religion, and someone's beliefs. Their beliefs come from inside them and you can't "do away" with what comes from inside. Religion, in the way you probably mean, bricks and mortar of churches, preachers, the bible, evil people going on crusades, or sending children to blow themselves up in the name of their "God", that is something quite different.

Those beliefs you're talking about that "come from inside people" have caused more horror, death and destruction than any other single thing on this planet. There isn't a single period of time since evolution produced human beings that atrocities haven't occured against groups of innocent people under the name of religion. It disgusts me and any other sane person.

Those beliefs you're talking about that "come from inside people" have caused more horror' date=' death and destruction than any other single thing on this planet. There isn't a single period of time since evolution produced human beings that atrocities haven't occured against groups of innocent people under the name of religion. It disgusts me and any other sane person.[/quote']

Not actually true hon, The Attrocities are caused by greed and jealousy (which are not tought by any major religion), Religion is just used as an excuse.

If Religion suddenly disapered the attrocities would still happen, they'd just be cloaked by a different excuse.

• Like 1

please explain to me how believing in God, believing that Jesus Christ was his son and died for us in some way means I have no morals?

It's not a touchy subject, I'm just interested as to why you think that it means that. I mean, I don't expect anyone else to believe it, I would never have a problem with anyone not sharing my beliefs but for the most part I do expect people to extend me the same courtesy.

If I wanted to murder people, and then say it was on the name of God, that would mean I had no morals. But believing he exists? How does it prove I have no morals?

Edited by Jayden