January Transfer Window - Rumours and Speculation

Clarkey

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Beattie is going to Everton, or if they cannot get him they want Robbie Keane.

For lower league fans I have heard of three Boston players moving,

David Noble to Ipswich

Austin McCann to Newcastle and best of all

Andy Kirk to Glasgow Rangers.

Picked all three up for free and will make 2 million reportedly.

Just what I have heard

Bolton could do with a good stiker. Playing Davies on his own isnt working, and even though pederson has done OK so far he isnt good enough. I havent a clue who we're after but we do need someone who can perform well week in week out. If only we hadnt sold Gudjohnson

Lauren is apparently almost certainly going to Real Madrid, but the press seem convinced that this means Michel Salgado is leaving Los Galacticos, probably going to Chelsea.

I disagree. For as much as I, or any gooner, would rate Lauren, it doesn't take a genius to figure that Salgado is ten times the fullback that Lauren is. Couple this with the fact that Salgado's father in law is actually Florentino Perez and I don't think his place is the team is ever going to be in question.

Lauren used to play as a midfielder in Spain, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that Real play him in central midfield alongside Beckham, if/when Helguera is out.

As for other rumours, Chelsea appear to be getting Stevie Gerrard (I would imagine they will). Arsenal are getting a young player called Eboue who will play at rightback. I saw this kid in a few friendlies in pre-season when he was a triallist, and he looked really bloody good, so that's good news. However, Justin Hoyte has impressed, too.

Arsenal are in the market for a central midfielder, it seems, and probably a striker, and a centreback. Wenger has commented that he still wants another striker, although Owusu-Abieye has been very good recently. Cesc and Flamini have done well in the middle of the park, but seeing that Edu is leaving and Silva is out for the season, a new CM is needed. Owen Hargreaves and even David Albelda have been linked.

As for a new defender, it all depends whether Wenger makes Kolo a full-back or a centre-back. There seems to be a lack of decent fullbacks worldwide so I would prefer to see him get a centreback, however Hatem Trabelsi and Anthony Revelliere are linked.

I don't care too much about other teams...although Stuart Downing looks odds on to go to Man Utd before the new season kicks off.

Cheers!

Hopefully Moyes will bring in another striker because the ones we have currently - whilst doing a good job - are either half fit(Ferguson), only half good(Bent) or too old (Campbell).

Benni McCarthy nearly signed for Everton just before the transfer window, but Porto put the blocks on it because of the Champs League.

I would much rather see Robbie Keane or Beattie join, but I can't see it - good position in the league or not, we are still a side who cannot attract the big name players.

However, our league position may attract some players who wish to play in europe....as it is a possibility.

Theres alot of speculation going round that Man Utd are in the hunt for a keeper after the Lyon debacle involving Howard and Carrolls little slip up a few weeks past in the corrisponding home fixture...

The leading canidate seems to me a certain Middlesbrough keeper as everyone on Sky Sports News, Sky Sports punditry team and in the press thinks he'll go. Why won't I name him? I can't spell his last name lol.

Another outside bet is the one I'm the most intrested in as a Man Utd fan. Carlo Cudicini of Chelski. Petr Cech has been stunning in net for them and has kept one of the most consistant players in the league out of the side he often saved at the back over the past three seasons.

I'd love him to be Man U's new number 1 even though I rate Howard still and I think Carroll is a realible keeper. The problem with Carroll is he lets the ball hit his chest then bonce into his arms. Not good keeping.

Cudicini has been a great shot stopper and realible keeper for Chelski over the years after a shaky start. Hell even Sven wanted to bring him into the squad so much that the Italians gave him a run out (even though they have Toldo and Buffon, swines) so he couldn't play for England.

Outgoing? Well alot of speculation has pointed toward Giggs moving on as Bolton and Newcastle have supposedly been sniffing round him. As Ferguson has been playing Ronaldo left side quite a bit of late and Liam Miller, Fletcher and Scholes on the right as well it seems this could have some weight behind it.

Aside from that? There been little bits here and there of Phil Neville going but not much and also Ferguson may be looking to off load the flops that areDjemba Djemba, Kleberson and also farm out some younger players like Eagles on loan.

I wouldn't mind fergie farming out Eagles and Spector to Everton.

Eagles is a great talent and Spector performed well in the first few games of the season.

I think United should get money for Giggs while they can, I think he has one good game in five.

They could play ronaldo on the left and Smudger on the right.

It's a shame about Kleberson - he's not really had a chance because of all his ailments.

I wouldn't mid seeing Kleberson or Djemba at Goodison - Kleberson's decent and Djemba's a battler.

Wolves boss Glenn Hoddle has played down talk he could move for Tottenham defender Dean Richards.

Reports on Friday claimed Hoddle may return to his old club to try and bring Richards back to Molineux as he is well down the pecking order at White Hart Lane.

Hoddle has ruled out an immediate move for Richards and will give the current squad the chance to prove themselves.

"Deano's out of the team at Tottenham at the moment so I suppose people will put two and two together," said Hoddle.

"But it's not something I've been thinking about at this moment in time because I'm still in the process of assessing the squad.

"I have to be fair to the players who are already here and who are entitled to a decent crack of the whip.

"I've told the players they can all draw a line under the past and start with a clean slate under a new manager."

Robbie Keane would be an awesome signing but i doubt that would happen. Although I am confident that someday not too far away Robbie Keane will return to the club that started him out the mighty wolves

Well didn't Deano start out at Wolves?

I remember there was talk of him joining up with the England squad whilst there and they were still in the First Divison... Plus he was also linked with Man U and Arsenal. Look what happens when you join Tottenham lol. The kiss of death.

And Fletch give it ohh.... three seasons and Wolves being back in the top flight and I reckon you may see your dream come true. Keano Number II in a Wolves shirt.

As for Kleberson and Djemba Djemba being half decent? Kleberson looked good at WC2002 because he was surronded by Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldino, Roberto Carlos and Lucio... He, Gilberto Silva and Roque Junior where also majorly hyped as well and none of them have lived up to it, Gilberto's been solid but no where as good as he was made out... Kleberson's just been crap.

As for Djemba being a battler? Yes he is but you want more then that in a player. We let Nicky Butt go and he was three times the player Djemba is.

I'll be glad to be rid of them and re-coup some of that cash so we can buy some decent players to bolster the squad and try in vain to catch up with Chelsea.

I keep hearing Jean-Alain Boumsong is leaving us for Newcastle. For such a Rangers man, Souness does a good job of taking all our players on the cheap because he's mates with our chairman. Souness better not even think of offering anything under at least 10 million for Boumsong who is sheer quality.

Apparently Rangers are going to be signing Bojan Djordjic off Manchester United. I've never really seen him play but he was always good in Championship Manager which could be a good sign as that game has been a good indicator in the past for young players. We're also signing a Scandinavian defender. Apart from that, I can't see us getting anyone in January who will be a first teamer. Those two could be good ones for the future though.

We're still in desperate need of a creative midfielder but we'll have to wait until the summer where hopefully we can get a good Bosman signing.

Edited by The Crippler

Barry Fergersons on his way to Newcastle on a cut price deal.

Robbie Blake is going to Norwich for about 1 million

Boumsong is staying at Rangers, he was signed on a bosman and due to Fifa rules is unable to move anywhere for a fee for another 6 months.

After watching today's derby game, I'm tempted to suggest that Villa should attempt to buy a whole new team! The first half in particular was absolutely shocking and we were lucky to go in only 2-0 down. We improved a lot in the second half though and could have stolen a point.

Anyway, we should definitely try to sign a new striker in January. Vassell's injured, Carlton isn't playing well and Angel ... the less said about his current form the better. Cover in defence would also be nice, we're having to play Delaney out of position at the moment to compensate for Laursen's injury. We've been strongly linked with signing Andy Reid. He's a good player and would be a useful addition to the squad but I think he's over-priced. Spurs offered 5 million for him in the summer and it was turned down.

Heres an interesting one I heard from a forum cohort somewhere else, again take it with a pinch of salt until the day hes in the press conference Gooners.....

"On friday 11/12/2004 Rafael Van Der Vaart was househunting in the Hadley Wood area of Barnet and also had a meeting with Dennis Bergkamp later that day this comes from a reliable source that told me about the Reyes signing this time last year. The source of my information comes from someone who works for Jerome Anderson. Jerome has big connections with Arsenal, as does Dennis Bergkamp obviously."

I think its more likely he'll be joining Chelsea or Spurs due to us already having our quota of wingers turned strikers.

Today's Transfer Rumours

Courtesey of BBC.co.uk;

Liverpool and Marseille are both keen on Manchester City striker Nicolas Anelka but Barcelona and Monaco are not interested. (The Times)

City have slapped a £25m price tag on Shaun Wright-Phillips to try and ward off interest from Arsenal and Chelsea. (The Times, Daily Mail)

Newcastle will swoop for Brad Friedel if Shay Given leaves for Arsenal or Manchester United. (The Guardian)

Jason Euell is ready to leave Charlton for first-team football. (The Sun)

AC Milan striker Andrei Shevchenko is Chelsea's top transfer target for January. (The Independent)

And the big-spending Blues are still interested in Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe and Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand. (The Independent)

Southampton want Tottenham target Joe Cole on loan from Chelsea for the rest of the season. (Daily Mail)

Johan Neeskens and Dave Jones are on the shortlist for the Portsmouth job alongside Gordon Strachan and Gary Megson. (Daily Telegraph, The Times)

Edu will leave Arsenal for Real Madrid next month if the Gunners do not improve their contract offer by the end of December. (The Independent)

Leeds have offered goalkeeper Scott Carson a new Elland Road contract. (Daily Star)

But Wigan are ready to wade in with a £400,000 offer for the England Under-21 international. (Daily Mail)

Hearts boss John Robertson is running the rule over Brazilian Moreiro Herivelto and Vlastimil Fiala of the Czech Republic. (Daily Record)

I've moved your thread in here ravenmark as I felt it best to keep all transfer news/speculation in the one thread. :)

From the Daily Record:

RANGERS are at an advanced stage in a proposed £2million swoop for Feyenoord striker Thomas Buffel.

Sources from within the Ibrox club confirmed to Record Sport last night that discussions are well underway with the Dutch club over a January move for the Belgian international.

But manager Alex McLeish will have to fight off rival bids from English Premiership outfit Spurs and Germans VfB Stuttgart if he is to land the highly rated 23-year-old.

Buffel is ready to move on after a bitter fallout with colourful Feyenoord manager Ruud Gullit which has seen the gifted playmaker frozen out of the first-team plans.

Seems weird that we're after a striker when we should really be looking for a creative midfielder. I've not really seen this guy play at all so I've no idea what he is like.

Edited by The Crippler

More on Boumsong, from BBC Sport:

Rangers have rejected three offers from Newcastle for defender Jean-Alain Boumsong, BBC Sport understands.

A player-plus-cash bid is believed to have been made first before two offers of £7.5m cash were made.

Rangers' director Martin Bain made it clear on the club's website they were unhappy with Newcastle's conduct.

"It is not normal practice for Rangers to comment on the day of an important match and we are disappointed Newcastle has made public its interest," he said.

"We can confirm that our chairman David Murray received a verbal offer from Graeme Souness and thereafter, a few days later, a further written offer both of which have been rejected.

"Our focus is on this evening's match and we have no further comment."

Newcastle manager Graeme Souness revealed earlier on Wednesday he had contacted Rangers about signing Boumsong.

"I can confirm we have been in touch with Rangers and I can confirm he is one of the players we would like at this club," added Souness.

"But he is contracted to Rangers as we speak, so it would be wrong for me to tell you any more."

Boumsong himself said on Tuesday he would listen to any offers made for him out of politeness, but stressed he was happy to stay at Ibrox.

"I cannot say that a club would be wasting their time by making an offer," said Boumsong.

"If one club like Newcastle has an interest in me I cannot say they are wasting their time.

"What I can say is that I am a Rangers player and I am focusing on my duty here.

"That duty is to do my best for my club and I don't want to be disturbed by the speculation.

"Of course I am very proud to attract interest from other clubs and I think it is very good for Rangers as well, as I bring something to Rangers and Rangers bring something to me.

"If something happens, it happens. I cannot even say I will be here on Friday because you never know. I could pass over. But I will give all of my best to Rangers and we will see."

Souness has money to spend following the £13.4m sale of Jonathan Woodgate to Real Madrid and he is keen to strengthen his defence.

£7.5 million for a guy who is now a starter for France and is 6 months into a 5 year contract at Ibrox is insulting. Also for someone who is meant to still have an affection for the club, Souness is hardly helping us out by making all this public on the day of an important European fixture.

He's just trying to get another player on the cheap off us because he knows of our financial problems. Well take your 7.5 million offer and stick it up your arse Graeme!

Not as much as we did before. We raised about £51.4 million recently through a rights issue so that ate into the debts of about £74 million. The debts have been reduced to the extent where we don't need to sell players and any money brought in from sales will go straight back to the manager.