14 members have voted

1. 1. Scariest Films Ever

• Exorcist
    • The Shining
    • Halloween
    • Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    • Evil Dead
    • Other (If So Post Your Vote)

i've never found any of the western slasher horrors like most of the ones in the poll scary, my vote is between 2 franchises. Alien and Ringu (originals only) ... i'm gonna say Ringu alhough actually Audition is up there two as japanese horrors are far more about atmosphere than big (not very) scary baddies running after some 10p for a dozen blonde bimbo/ himbo

I picked other i have never seen a film that has really scared me ok maybe when i was young ye but now i just watch them and they don't really scare me but if i have to pick i would pick Jaws ok so you say why Jaws well i am really scared of Sharks i hate them but i still watch the film

In no particular order

The Grudge

Ringu

The Exorcist

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Jaws

Halloween (it's so much more than a slasher flick as mentioned, unlike the rest of them, there's so much suspense)

Alien

The Last Broadcast

and many more i cna't remember right now no doubt

So profound! Come on Eyes Adrift, you mean that there is not a single movie that you have seen that scared you?

Try watching "Session 9" in the dark by yourself. It has all the elements of the dark side of human nature that you just described. One of the most psycologicaly frightining movies that I have ever seen.

Oh yeah it counts as horror as well. :xyx

Session 9 is a good film but i didn't find it scary.

The only time i remember being really scared by a film was when i was about 7 and i watched Halloween.

Horror films have never really been that bad to me since i used to watch them with my dad almost every night since i was about 4.

[Try watching "Session 9" in the dark by yourself. It has all the elements of the dark side of human nature that you just described. One of the most psycologicaly frightining movies that I have ever seen.
I forgot to mention Session 9. It's one of my favourite all time films. Very very good. I'm sure there's others I've missed too

If anyone would enjoy an o-l-d (as in black-and-white era) ghost story flick, check out THE UNINVITED with Ray Milland. This thing's older than Jim Ross' cliches', being a 1944(!) release, but it's still pretty damn spooky, all things considered. It doesn't have the shocks of Evil Dead or the splatter of some of the other poll nominees; but if you'd like to see an "old school" chiller for a change of pace some time, this one gets a thumbs up.

If anyone is interested in old horror movies i would recomend the original Night Of The Living Dead, Nosferatu, House On Haunted Hill, and even though it's not strictly a horror try M by Fritz Lang.

It's one my favourite films of all time.

Edited by eyes_adrift

Event Horizon is great!

But as far as Night of the living dead goes, try the 1989 re-make, also directed by George Romero! Better then the original.

No way man.

That remake kind of ruined the whole atmosphere of the original.

Even Romero has made comments along the same lines as it didn't turn as well as the original.

Event Horizon is great!
See I thought that the first time I saw it. I thought it was one of the best new movies I'd seen in a long time. Having watched it various times since I think it falls down quite quickly and loses its appeal. It's not a bad film, I just don't think it's a classic.