Dimebag Darrell Killed in Concert Shooting

Mr Dragon

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I am devistated! I can't believe it nomatter how many times I read that article. Everytime I scrool through it I hope at the bottom it says "Gotcha" or something. That it is just one of those internet hoxes. But unfortunatly, it's not.

I grew up listening to Pantera during my teenage years. The band helped me through some very hard times. As a guitar player I looked up to Dimebag for insparation. he was one of the best heavy guitar players ever. He had a unique style, you knew it was him just by the way it sounded!

I'm still in shock as I write this. Someone please tell me its just a bad dream.

:? :( :? Why?

RIP Dimebag! See you on the other side brother!

"Re-Spect! WALK! WHATDAYA' SAY!!!"

Edited by Maxximus

My God.

I cannot believe this. How can something like this happen at a concert, where the idea is that you go to enjoy the band you're watching? The world is all wrong at the moment and this is such a horrible thing it's hard to believe. You wonder what is happening when you think that it takes years of brilliance for Dimebag to be able to inspire people with his fantastic music, yet it takes one **** a split second to take it all away again.

I was and am a big Pantera fan and liked Damageplan as well, I even saw Dimebag and Damageplan this year at Donington and the Damageplan album along with Vulgar Display Of Power and Far Beyond Driven were among the albums that helped me along while I was working on my main university project right up to the middle of last week. The guy was an absolute genius on the guitar and really inspired a lot of people with his music.

Rest In Peace Dimebag.

RIP Dimebag. You truly were one of the greats, both in Pantera and Damageplan. Like many people I was fortunate enough to see Damageplan at Donnington and was astounded by the performance.

The beers are for you mate!

My thoughts are with his family and friends at this tragic time.

As for the guy that did it, he's lucky he got shot, because there would be hell to pay otherwise.

To Dimebag

Thankfully more recent reports on Fox say now that Vinnie Paul isn't dead, at least that is something. Apparently though when the gunman took a hostage when the police officer confronted him, the hostage was Vinnie Paul. I don't know if that is one hundred percent true or not right now, but some people who were there have suggested that. Another report said something like Vinnie wasn't shot and used a fan's phone to call his family. Totally awful, but at least it seems now that Vinnie is still with us which is great news. Our thoughts have to go out to him and everyone else there whose lives have been made worse by this, their family and friends and those of the other people affected by this horrible tragedy.

Yeah word has it, the guy went on stage and shouted at Dimebag "you broke up Pantera, what about Phil?" before shooting him in the head, and then shooting him while he was down, and then firing at the band, and the crowd.

It's just horrific really. Tributes though have been flying in from the likes of Metallica, Megadeth, Ozzy, Zakk Wylde, etc, some even got through to Phil Anselmo, who is apparantly completely devastated.

It's incredibly sad, when differences which lead to a band splitting up, causes a man to kill one of the members involved. Surely there is more to life than that. Just a terrible tragedy

I do also of course apologise if that post I made before misled anyone. I had read that another member of the band had also been killed, then read that it was Vinnie Paul even though police hadn't confirmed it, since then lots of different reports have come from police and people who were there. Naturally for such a horrible thing, what people saw or think they saw differs from person to person as it's not the sort of thing you'd analyse at the time and wouldn't want to remember after the event. I should have said that the reports about Vinnie Paul weren't confirmed by police so I am really sorry, that was pretty much the word at the time but that's no excuse for not clearing up my own post on here. Still, I'd rather look slightly foolish and have Vinnie Paul be OK.

I'd be very worried if I was Phil Anselmo. No matter how much disagreement there might have been after the split of Pantera, this is surely the last thing he would have wanted and I would also doubt that the gunman there would be the only Pantera fan taking the music too seriously, which must mean that Phil is in real danger of someone else with a gun paying him a visit. I sincerely hope that does not happen. Maybe Vinnie Paul can calm down the situation when he has had time to recover from the initial shock of this. I hope so.

The thing about someone getting so worked up over a band splitting is that it was completely pointless. Not only are there more important things that should be valued as Jung says, like the lives of the people involved and those of the fans who were there, but in any case when an important band breaks up it's nearly always a matter of time before they end up together again. Bruce Dickinson and Iron Maiden had some time apart, Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne, Rob Halford and Judas Priest, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, even Van Halen and David Lee Roth tried it although that's not the best example. The point is, Pantera had only been split for a year, sure there were arguments, but given that Damageplan were making just about the same music and Superjoint Ritual weren't worlds apart either you'd have to imagine that at some stage they would have reconvened even if it were only for a limited time or special event. Unfortunately now, that can no longer happen.

I just hope Dimebag is having a great time up there with Randy Rhoads, Bon Scott and John Bonham. He's left a great legacy behind and by many accounts seemed to be a really down to earth guy. Not many people are true rock legends but he really was one of them. Let's hope this is the beginning and end of these sorts of incidents.

God i was so chocked when i heard this. Its just totally horrible that someone could do something like this to people who were only trying to entertain. I also saw Damage Plan at Download in June and they were awesome - it was brilliant to see such a legendary guitarist as Dimebag was.

Rest in Peace mate - metals a lot poorer for your loss.