Redknapp set for Saints

PHIZZLE

Harry Redknapp is expected to be unveiled as Southampton's new manager later on Wednesday.

Rumours have been rife that Redknapp could take over at Southampton less than a month after leaving Saints' fierce rivals Portsmouth.

Redknapp is set to replace Steve Wigley at the helm at St Mary's after Wigley failed to turn the club's fortunes around.

The news will infuriate Pompey fans who would be unhappy to see their former favourite take charge at their arch-rivals.

Redknapp admitted on Tuesday he would not rule out taking over at Southampton and it appears he is set to be the club's third new manager of the season.

Kevin Bond is expected to be Redknapp's assistant at Southampton with Redknapp to be unveiled at a press conference on Wednesday.

Credit - Skysports.com

Pompey fans will be fuming. They will hate him becoming a "scummer". A player only has to have played at some point during his career at Southampton, like Wayne Bridge, and he gets a hell of a lot of boos at Fratton Park. Portsmouth hate Southampton with a passion. Living in Portsmouth for three years you realise that most people there hate everyone who lives there even if they don't really like football.

To be fair to Harry I can pretty much empathise with his situation. He happened to be at a club where he'd achieved something a bit special yet Mr Mandaric still wasn't confident in him running the club. In fact, Mandaric would rather be managing the team himself if he thought that anybody would buy it for a second. Fairplay to Harry not only for getting out, but for giving them a swift kick in the teeth in going to Southampton.

Only problem I have with it is that the fans have been immense to him (with good reason). He is/was so loved in Portsmouth. I know right now the fans will feel completely cheated. But business is business, he needed a job, he wanted to stay in the Premiership, so I guess he's done what he had to do.

Portsmouth fans should be angry at Madaric for this, not Redknapp. Fair play to Harry is all I can say, why should he have sat around on his arse when a good job needs doing near to his home.

Mandaric made Harrys job impossible at Pompey when he should have just left him to get on with what was a superb job being done. Mandaric cou;dn't help but keep on meddling, Harry left and signed for Southampton, Mandaric is the bad guy here and I just hope the Pompey fans can see that.

Agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mandaric is an idiot. Harry is a good boss. He should be in management and as has been said he should take the job.

Harry is a fantastic manager, he did wonders at West Ham and if it wasnt for that idiot of a chairman he may still be with us. Redknapp has proved his worth as a manager with his accomplishments at Portsmouth, and yet again due to an idiot chairman a club has lost a great manager. As for the rivalry, well Pompey fans will be livid, but Harry has got to look at where his career is, and where it can go. Southampton are an ok team that with the right management and team can be very successful, and i think Harry is part of that. The Saints have got a good one taking on Redknapp, and more fool Mandaric for letting him go.

Archived