Hoddle Wolves Boss..For now

Fletch

From Football365.com

Glenn Hoddle is effectively on a six-month trial at Wolves after taking over as manager.

The former England coach has been appointed as permanent successor to Dave Jones who was sacked by the Black Country outfit five weeks ago.

But the 47-year-old Hoddle admitted his initial contract with the Coca-Cola Championship club would only last until the end of the season.

Hoddle's job will either then come to an end or he will negotiate a new contract.

Hoddle, who will allow caretaker boss Stuart Gray to remain in charge for this evening's home clash with Millwall, said: ``It was the club and not me who suggested the six-month contract and we spoke about it for a long time.

``If there were just eight matches to go then that would be a different scenario, but there's still enough points to be won or lost this season for us to make it back into the Premiership.

``That's a big challenge, I know that, we are not at the top of the league.

``The only consistent thing about this league is that it's inconsistent, so if we can put a good run together then we can get right back up there.

``At the moment my contract is for six months and then we'll assess it from there.

``It is not dependent on us earning promotion at the end of the season because we might just miss out and yet things could have gone well for us.

``So from there the contract could become long-term, but neither I nor the board can give any guarantees about what might happen at the end of the season.

``But put it this way - some people have been asking me whether I'm not taking a big chance and putting my reputation on the line my coming here for an initial six months.''

Gray will remain at Molineux as assistant to Hoddle, the pair having previously worked together at Southampton.

Hoddle had succeeded Jones as Saints boss in 2000 with the former England coach's departure a year later leading to Gray's first taste of senior management.

Hoddle's management career began at Swindon in April 1991 when he was appointed player-boss at the County Ground before moving to Chelsea, who he lead to the 1994 FA Cup final where they were beaten 4-0 by Manchester United.

The former Tottenham midfielder was appointed England manager after Terry Venables stepped down in the aftermath of the 1996 European Championships.

But Hoddle came under fire following his decision to omit Paul Gascoigne from the 1998 World Cup squad.

The publication of his diaries and a row with Alan Shearer followed before he was sacked following his reported comments regarding people with disabilities.

A return to club management came with Southampton before Hoddle took over at Tottenham in 2001.

But Spurs dispensed with his services six games into last season and he had been out of club management until his move to Wolves.

One of the few managers I would have liked to take over but if he fails then we're stuck in a rut again with no manager. 6 months isnt enough time. Obviously Hoddle wasnt the main guy i wanted in charge, i would rather have had Harry Redknapp or Micky Adams but what can you do. I think Hoddle is being rather optimistic, i know if we win a couple games we're right up around the playoff area but its still a big challenege to even get in the play offs or get promoted and personally i dont think we will be able to do that. Still lets see how it goes and lets hope we can get back to top form, its a shame that a club as great and historically enriched as us have to be down in the bottom half of the Championship

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Wolves, seeing as how I'm related to their greatest ever player, former England captain Billy Wright. Since his days at Chelsea, Hoddle has had a pretty poor career, but I'd like to see him do well at Wolves, because they're a side that deserve to be in the Premiership every year.

Indeed he does, and I think Stan Ternant is a good appointment for Gillingham, he'll do pretty well to keep them up this season in my opinion but he's the best of the bunch as far as the names that were being thrown around, apart from Mickey Adams who I don't believe they were ever going to get, I'm glad they didn't opt for Dave Bassett.

As for Hoddle, I think the 6 month deal probably had a bit to do with him too, if he does really well in the remainder of the season, he'll be free to walk away at the end if a bigger club comes calling.

If anybody can get Gillingham out of trouble it would have to be Stan, his record at getting the best out of playours is fantastic, and if players start to play up then there out of the door, 2 promotions with Bury with no money and 1 with Burnley again with no money speaks volumes especially if you consider that he was able to keep both Bury and Burnley in the 2nd tier of English football.

If anybody gets a chance check out his autobiography do it, STAN THE MAN a hard life in football. Atrue gem talking about his days working under porterfield at chelsea. And his days Working at Crystal Palace the year they got to cup final.

Very different from the sort of drug and gambling riddeled football books there are. Its out in paperback now so nobody has a excuse and it was ghost written by a friend of mine so it's got to be good.

I think Stan is good for the Gill's and Hoddle is a bad bad appointment for Wolves.

Sure he's an ex-England manager, but then again so is Kevin Keegan and El Tel and look how they fared after the England job!

Hoddle is an oppertunist. He walked on Swindon, screwed up with his gob and dodgy links at England and was so so at Southampton... Now he's using Wolves as a springboard really judging by that contract length.

I agree with Fletch, Harry Redknapp was the man, espically after the jobs he did at West Ham and Portsmouth and he was available as well.

Wish them both luck in their new jobs, and Wolves more so. Even though you beat Man U last year lol.

I1 with Burnley again with no money

No money? The year Burnley come up you bought Micky Mellon off Tranmere for £350,000 (which stopped us going out of business), hardly going up with no money.

because they're a side that deserve to be in the Premiership every year.

Wolves deserve to be where they are, the same as everyother club in the league (with the exception of MK Dons).

I to seem to have a soft spot for wolves i think it staem from a football torunamant that i was in when i was about 8. All the 5 a side taems were given proper team names my team was wolves and i was like eh who are they.

My grandads friend is a massive wolves fan too and he took me to watch them once.

Also went to the 1987 SHERPA VAN final at wembley i think there was 98,000 people at wembly that day and i think it may of been the last game at wembly to have such a big attendance. i remember seeing this huge sea of Gold and Black and was like WOW. Shame wolves went onto win.

as for Hoddle yea i think it's a good signing for Hoddle but maybe not for wolves.

I went to that but seeing as I was one I dont remember it. my dad took me Sherpa Van trophy. He used to take me to all the home and away games back then.

When i used to play 5-a-side in the small leisure center next door to the Molienux which got knocked down now w used to actually have to play the wolves youth team. They were a lot better than us mind