Smith confirmed as Scotland manager

The Crippler

From BBC Sport:

Walter Smith has been named as the new manager of Scotland.

The former Rangers and Everton manager has thrashed out an agreement with the Scottish Football Association and will be officially unveiled at 1300 GMT.

Gordon Strachan and Frenchman Philippe Troussier were also in the running for the job before the SFA confirmed Smith's appointment.

The 56-year-old succeeds Berti Vogts, who resigned on 1 November after a dismal sequence of results.

Smith will retain the services of assistant manager Tommy Burns, who was number two to Vogts and took charge of the team for the 4-1 friendly defeat by Sweden last month.

"Walter has asked me to stay and work alongside him in the same capacity as I was in before.

"I'm thrilled to have been given that chance as I have always considered it a great honour to be involved with Scotland," Burns told the Scottish Sun newspaper.

Smith won seven league titles with the Ibrox club, helping Rangers achieve the record-equalling nine in a row.

He quit the Glasgow giants in 1998 as Rangers conceded the title to Celtic and lost the Scottish Cup final to Hearts.

Smith joined Everton in the same year but could not produce the success required on Merseyside.

With the club looking set for a relegation battle in 2002 and following an abysmal display in an FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Middlesbrough, he was sacked.

Smith had a short spell as assistant boss to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United last season before the return of Carlos Queiroz from Real Madrid

I'll post my views on this appointment later. Really not sure about him retaining Tommy Burns though.

I'm sure Tommy will be happy playing second fiddle to Walter though as he did it enough during the 90s. :lol

I'm sure Tommy will be happy playing second fiddle to Walter though as he did it enough during the 90s. :lol

Cheeky! Right, but cheeky! :P

I said when Berti was up for the sack that I didn't think Walter Smith was the best candidate and I stick by that - I don't know that he's that great as since Rangers he hasn't done anything of note. That said, he knows his back side from his elbow in Scotland and can't be worse than Vogts, so it's a good move, better than having Burns as manager. I wouldn't have kept him really as he has to shoulder some of the blame for the Vogts reign as well, but we'll see how it goes.

It will be interesting to see how the media react if he has a bad start.

After all the criticism Vogts got while trying to do his best, everyone seems to expect us to appoint someone and all our problems to be gone. Thats probably not going to be the case. However we did need a change, and with the right decisions we can be a half decent side again. I wish Smith a lot of luck, and just hope if things go badly at the start that we dont have everyone turning against him and saying we need to start over again.

I would say awful team is a bit too strong. While we havent performed, and havent really got any world class players, we have good enough players and some good youngsters with potential to become good. With the right manager I think we can do fairly well. Look at Greece at the Euro championships as an example, not really anyone there you would call world class, but they were organised well and done what was asked of them and they ended up winning the thing. I don't expect Scotland to do that, but with the right coaching we could easily do a lot better than we are doing at the moment.

Scotland are currently ranked 77th in the world. Below such illustrious teams as Thailand, Angola, Guatemala, Libya, Kuwait and Hondurus.

Now anyway you look at it that is awful. :)

Rather than saying that looks awful, i'd say that proves just how badly flawed FIFA's ridiculous "ranking" system is.

I would say the rankings are a bit flawed with what they take into account. For example when Vogts first took charge we had friendlies against a lot of decent sides, including France who unsurprisingly thumped us. Losses in such friendlies then goes into account for the system which they calculate the rankings on.

Im just trying to be optimistic about the situation. We're not a great side by any stretch of the imagination, but with a coach who gets us playing with better discipline and has the confidence of the players, we have enough half decent players to be much better than we currently are. I'm just hopeful that Smith is the right man to do this.