WWE and their bad handling of the Cruiserweight division and anything profitable

Gotek

What is it with WWE that they keep putting exciting cruiserweight matches mid-card. They've got Rey :devil , Chavo, Paul London, Billy Kidman, maybe Eddie and RVD :xyx yet they seem content on introducing these absolutely dismal heavyweights, to name some Matt Morgan, Mordecai, Nathan Jones and that Snitsky guy. What's going on, WCW saw how popular these guys were and had them put on some of the best matches i've ever seen. WWE seem to think that throwing these big guys out there will land them in the money but they cost more in contracts, training them, re-training them and finally releasing them. Then they go release some good crowd pleasers and fan favourites like Rico who although was a bad wrestler got more cheers than his wrestling sound partner, it seems that when the WWE get something good they botch it up. ie Booker T, Cruiserweights in general, Randy Ortons heel change (that could have made loads of money but they screwed that up), not to mention the Lita Kane thing. :(

I'm a huge huge fan of the acrobatic stuff and I agree that cruiserweights are under-utilised

E.g - I didnt know much about TNA until I watched Victory Road. That X Division 20 man reverse battle royal was absolutely fantastic, loads of moves I've never seen before, and just the general pace - a lot of WWE guys, particularly London can do this, so why dont show it?!

But at the same time I do like the storyline elements of heavyweights (not that there seems to much of that recently either!)

With regards to the Cruiserweights, you can sum up why they aren't used in four simple words....."Vince Loves Big Men"

With the cruiserweights that have passed through the WWE in the past year, you would have thought they would have used some of them in worthwhile storylines and feuds: Rey, Kidman, Chavo, Spike Dudley, Paul London, Shannon Moore, Jamie Noble, Jimmy Yang (Akio), Ultimo Dragon, Spanky, not to mention all the independent talent they have booked in dark matches or velocity tapings including The SAT, American Dragon, Xavier, and the list goes on!!!

I can only remember two matches in the history of the WWE/F Cruiserweight/Light Heavy division that were of the quality you would expect from a division filled with such talent: TAKA Michinoku vs. Great Sasuke @ Canadian Stampede and Dean Malenko vs. Scotty 2 Hotty @ Backlash 2000. With a roster filled with Cruiserweight talent, matches like these should not be a problem for the WWE to be producing, but instead i have to watch Heidenreich vs. Undertaker?

Yeah but i think that's why they give cruiserweights such bad storylines to keep the big guys in the spotlight, look at what they've done with that belt over the last year, Jacqueline?? What were they thinking. They got a legend, Ultimo Dragon and that fizzled out, there could have been classics there between him and Rey. And now Spike is champ and veteran cruisers like chavo and billy kidman are in a pointless fued that has been ressurected for another wrestler every year.

I'm a huge huge fan of the acrobatic stuff and I agree that cruiserweights are under-utilised

E.g - I didnt know much about TNA until I watched Victory Road. That X Division 20 man reverse battle royal was absolutely fantastic, loads of moves I've never seen before, and just the general pace - a lot of WWE guys, particularly London can do this, so why dont show it?!

But at the same time I do like the storyline elements of heavyweights (not that there seems to much of that recently either!)

London used to be a part of TNA. Have you ever seen him do his shooting star press? It's downright beautiful.

London used to be a part of TNA. Have you ever seen him do his shooting star press? It's downright beautiful.

Damn right, the London Star Press is THE best SSP in the business!!! If you wanna see his best stuff, check out Ring of Honor where they actually use cruiserweights in main events, feuds and storylines (SHOCK HORROR). His final match in ROH was against Samoa Joe for the World Title, but his best match was 2/3 falls against American Dragon, which is still one of the best matches in ROH history!

No one does the shooting star as good as Jyushin' date=' which leads me onto why WWE never tried signing him, he worked for WCW so coming to USA wasn't an issue.[/quote']

never seen Lyger do it before, but think he does his the same way London does his with a kinda cannonball style.

The best part about London's SSP is that he has TOTAL control of it. In a match against Aj Styles he worked on his leg the entire match, then launched an SSP at his knee. Brilliant.

Yeah but i think that's why they give cruiserweights such bad storylines to keep the big guys in the spotlight' date=' look at what they've done with that belt over the last year, Jacqueline?? What were they thinking. They got a legend, Ultimo Dragon and that fizzled out, there could have been classics there between him and Rey. And now Spike is champ and veteran cruisers like chavo and billy kidman are in a pointless fued that has been ressurected for another wrestler every year.[/quote']

I don't think the Kidman vs Chavo feud was pointless. It turned Billy heel and Chavo face, turns that did wonders for them. Also, it seems that the only CW feuds are the ones about the title, so I really like the fact that they have a feud not for the title. But it seems like the feud is fizzling out.. with all the nonsense going on at Smackdown nowadays, all they have time for are the main event feud and the tag-team title feud. And the Carlito-Cena "injured and off taping a movie so neither can wrestle but we will feud them for the US title anyway" feud.

Well, I hope that we can see a Kidman vs Chavo 1 on 1 match at Armageddon, with maybe London coming down to help Chavo or something.

Or' date=' to put it another way, "the vast majority of the audience prefers big men"[/quote']

Or to put it another way: 'The vast majority of the audience belive they like big men as Vince tells them they do.'

Most people I speak to (on and off these forums/the net in general) love CW action over big man punch and kick! The only big men they like are those who have given us a reason to care with good storylines ect.

I agree with that, but am I the only one who was impressed by Marc Mero's version of the move?

And I believe that 2 Cold Scorpio had the best array of top rope moves.

Or to put it another way: 'The vast majority of the audience belive they like big men as Vince tells them they do.'

Most people I speak to (on and off these forums/the net in general) love CW action over big man punch and kick! The only big men they like are those who have given us a reason to care with good storylines ect.

I think it is very insulting and also slightly stupid to suggest that people are only into what they are fed (admittedly some are). If that were the case, we would think that Emile Heskey is fully deserving of being first choice for England!

Big men sell, fact. Bruno Sammaratino was massive when Vince Sr was in charge and he was hardly a CW, British Wrestling the most popular guys like Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Pat Roach etc were hardly small (see their names!) in boxing the most famous ones are always the heavyweights.

You can't tell me that Vince Sr, Vince Jr, British wrestling promoters, boxing promoters etc are in some conspiracy to make us like big men the reason they sell is because the general public like them.

I think the crux of the matter is that the majority of fans like their wrestlers to look like wrestlers. This is the big man image that exists. Some may argue that it is/was fed to the fans and others will say that it is what the fans want. But either way t stils leaes us with the fact that the big men will usually draw more money via the casual/young fan than the smaller men. You only have to look at he fan base of some of the indies in the US to see this and to some extent in the UK too (but the scene is smalkler so less obvious). ROH had some great main events with smaller guys but the fan base is a small loyal group who know what they like and appreciater the fact that they get it (same for ECW). But the big gun of the wwe has the market cornered for the MARKet (pun intended). You see it in the UK too, as most small propotions (FWA excluded) seem to have one big name/big guy to bring in the crowds and some fans will pay entry just for the name on the card and see the rest of the matches as fillers. Big guys (usually the big names) draw the casual fan and the MONEY and that is what it is all about. If the purist had their way then in my opinion dman right the product would be better but the market would be a hell of a lot smaller too!

Thus the big man will always be around in any promotion that aims to be big, with vince or without him! TNA are starting to go that way themselves. Big guys means Big money and which promoter doesn't want that?

All I can say is, its not impossible for both to get over. Just look at WCW from 1996-1999. Basically if you push Rey, Chavo, Kidman etc as cruisers in a cruiser division, they would get over. It's just a case of Vince ain't gonna do that. Not that they, wouldn't get over

I think it is very insulting and also slightly stupid to suggest that people are only into what they are fed (admittedly some are). If that were the case' date=' we would think that Emile Heskey is fully deserving of being first choice for England![/quote']

And when match endings are fixed so that Heskey looks like the best guy out there then people most likely will! Trying to compare Pro Wrestling to other sports allways seems pointless to me.

Thanks God for that! It means Vince was right about Nathan Jones! Bring back El Giagante!

Bruno Sammaratino was massive when Vince Sr was in charge and he was hardly a CW.

And oddly he wasnt that tall, I belive he was around 6'2. Just happens to be that the man had a TON of charisma.

British Wrestling the most popular guys like Big Daddy' date=' Giant Haystacks, Pat Roach etc were hardly small (see their names!) in boxing the most famous ones are always the heavyweights.[/quote']

I never doubted that! I was making the point that as Vince gave us NO reason to care about the CW's then why would we? Oh thats right, by being able to decide what we like by ourselves! But Vince force feeds us big guys and its big guys we remember. Oh and as for boxing, Prince Nasseem? Or however the guys name is spelt.

You can't tell me that Vince Sr' date=' Vince Jr, British wrestling promoters, boxing promoters etc are in some conspiracy to make us like big men the reason they sell is because the general public like them.[/quote']

And again with the boxing! But to put it simply, like someone else said 'Vince likes big men'. Look at the guy for proof! Big men are liked when people ( get ready for this one, it seems to have passed you by) are given a REASON to care . Get it yet?

The big guys we like ALL have that charisma. Easy as. We like big guys with a personality!

Now if you still feel insulted by basic facts then I recomend you see a counciller. I didn't intend to insult, just ppoint out that big men get chace after chance, while CW guys get an undercard slot if they are lucky.

QUOTE]

If you think that your opinion constitutes fact, it is you who needs councilling.

You think that most people believe they like big men because Vince tells them they do.

I think that most people like big men, Vince believes this too and caters to it.

So you didnt bother to read my post properly then!

The vast majority of people I have spoke to in ANY form would rather see a Rey or Ultimo than a Nathan Jones or Viscera! 2 HIGHLY pushed grapplers.

Now, re read what I wrote and try again. Perhaps you could try and counter my argument with one of your own! Just an idea.