The News! Read me!

Paul

Frazzled Spaniards are paying 40 euros (28 pounds) to vent their frustrations with modern life by taking sledgehammers to old cars, computers, television sets and mobile phones while listening to heavy metal rock.

For this fee, punters gain access to a scrap yard in Lubia, a village 100 miles northeast of Madrid, where they can smash technology to their heart's content, relieving pent-up stresses over traffic jams, work or computer glitches.

"When the participants arrive, they feel afraid and uncertain but after they have smashed everything you can see them free of worry and more relaxed," said Jorge Arribas, co-founder of StopStress, the group whose idea it is.

"Some people even bring photos of their bosses and put them on top of the cars before they start hitting them with their hammers," he said.

Participants in the "damage therapy" sessions are supplied with sledgehammers, helmets, overalls and goggles and then launch into an enthusiastic and destructive workout.

One satisfied customer, Mariano Garcia, smashed up an old car and then enthused: "It is brilliant, fantastic. After doing it I feel peaceful and relaxed, I have got rid of all my stress."

"I started smashing the boot, then the windows, then the bonnet. I have smashed all the parts of the car that always bother me. I have taken my revenge," he said.

Customers can spend up to two hours attacking the appliances with sledgehammers but organisers say nobody has succeeded in sustaining their ire for more than 30 minutes so far.

Credit Reuters.com

I'd love a go of that!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australians love their beer so much some will swim through shark- and crocodile-infested waters to enjoy a cold ale -- just ask Phillip Bagie and his mates.

Bagie is a 20-year-old Aborigine living on the farthest northern tip of Australia, Cape York, where alcohol is banned in an attempt to curb violence in remote black communities.

But liquor may be had at a hotel on Thursday Island, located across a stretch of water jokingly called "the kitchen", for the large number of sharks and crocodiles that feed in the area.

Bagie and his friends have been steering their dinghy through "the kitchen" on a one-hour beer run to Thursday Island for the past few months, returning at night with a bellyfull of beer.

Last month their beer run went horribly wrong.

After three hours at the hotel, the group loaded a dinghy with seven cartons of beer and a bottle of rum and headed home. But nobody remembered to put in the bung in the boat, which sank in minutes, leaving the four men and a woman swimming for their lives in "the kitchen".

"The tide kept pushing us out to sea, we huddled together with the four life jackets we had and kept talking," Bagie told the Courier Mail newspaper in Brisbane on Thursday.

Seven hours later, the emergency position beacon, which they retrieved from the sinking boat, led rescuers to the drunk group.

Unperturbed by his misfortune, Bagie is already planning another beer run for his 21st birthday on December 9. "I want to celebrate my birthday properly and I'll go again," he said.

credit Reuters.com

No, not even I'm THAT desperate for a beer! :D

Archived