Harry Quits Pompey

PHIZZLE

Harry Redknapp has quit his role as Portsmouth manager, after weeks of uncertainty about his future.

The former West Ham boss has agreed an amicable split with the South Coast outfit and he is expected to be joined out the exit door by his assistant Jim Smith.

Redknapp's position at Fratton Park has been in doubt after clashing with Milan Mandaric last season - over the role of Smith.

The former West Ham coach has performed miracles at Pompey since taking charge in 2002, but Mandaric wanted to replace Smith earlier this year.

Redknapp was left fuming and, although Smith stayed, their relationship has been strained ever since.

The final straw appears to have come with the arrival of Velimir Zajec as executive director earlier this month.

Redknapp took charge at Pompey in 2002 and guided the club to The Premiership in 2003.

The 57-year-old helped keep Pompey in the top-flight last term on a shoe-string budget and they have made a reasonable start to this campaign.

Zajec will take over on a temporary basis until a new manager can be found by Pompey, and he will have a major say on who gets the job.

Mandaric explained that he was still good friends with Redknapp.

"Harry and I remain great friends," said Mandaric.

"I have tremendous admiration and respect for where he has taken this club - a feat several managers before him could not get near to.

"He rightfully has the deep affections of the Pompey fans and I include myself in that.

"We have held talks in the past, not about this situation specifically, but were aware for some time of Harry's views.

"He spoke about maybe wanting to recharge his batteries after an exhausting period where he has helped transform this club from first division strugglers to Premier League survivors.

"People will obviously make their own minds up and say that Harry has stepped down for the reasons that have been intensely speculated over in the media.

"That could not be further from the truth but then the speculations were pretty wide of the mark also.

"The truth is Harry sees this as a perfect opportunity to bow out.

"In a way this has highlighted the importance of having something in place because this club can't rely on individuals, however successful, to carry on the club forward.

"Individuals come and go, whilst the club is here forever.

"You sometimes think that things will go on forever the same but it was when Harry started talking about future plans that we were then confronted with future plans for the club.

"I won't be here forever, Harry certainly had no plans to be and the question is what you do when the inevitable departures of individuals happen.

"That is what we are now building this club for, a self sufficient one, one that can withstand the arrival and departures of highly popular and not so popular figures, but continue to function regardless."

Credit Sky Sports

I can see Micky possibly taking the Gills job due to his previous experience at Brighton and because he seems better suited to the underdogs rather then the bigger names. Harry would be great for Wolves, t'would be a shame to lose him from the prem but if he can take up another div one team it would be a great achievement for him. I still think he should be England manager personally.

Shame Harry's gone, he's one of footies charachters and I hope he's not out of the game for too long, how West Ham could do with him back right now.

I think Hess is staying on at Gills in some capacity, not too sure because the story has received very little coverage in the press, just have to wait for the locals I suppose.

Mickey Adams has been touted as a replacement at Gillingham, I believe he used to play for them.

I'm no Pompey fan but Milan Madaric strikes me as a prick to be perfectly honest. He wants too much input as a manager. He has probably seen Redknapp working wonders and thought "I can do that".

Mandaric just wants a yes-man in charge to make himself feel better about himself.

Cheers!

Shame Harry's gone, he's one of footies charachters and I hope he's not out of the game for too long, how West Ham could do with him back right now.

I think Hess is staying on at Gills in some capacity, not too sure because the story has received very little coverage in the press, just have to wait for the locals I suppose.

Mickey Adams has been touted as a replacement at Gillingham, I believe he used to play for them.

Lol funnily enough I'm from Gillingham :xyx. But hey no worries. Hessy is supposed to be getting a place on the board should the new manager not wish to keep him as a player, but Andy wants to concentrate on management so could move elsewhere to continue that. Regardless Gorman is playing caretaker and theres talk of Scally giving him the job full time.

Yeah bad news for Pompey, very bad news. Having a chairman or owner or anyone like that who thinks they can manage the side is always counter productive. They've lost a great manager who had donea faultless job in his time there.

Don't get too excited about Harry taking any other jobs, he's buying Bournemouth, trust me.

Archived