McFly dominate Smash Hits awards

Kam

From the BBC website:

McFly dominate Smash Hits awards

Pop act McFly dominated the Smash Hits Poll Winners' Party at Wembley Arena in London, winning five awards.

The foursome won stars of the year, best UK band, best album and best video, while the group's Danny Jones won most fanciable male.

McFly's debut single, Five Colours In Her Hair, topped the charts in April and follow-up Obviously did the same.

Boy band Busted won three awards, while Kylie Minogue was voted into the magazine's Hall of Fame.

The 36-year-old told the audience: "My first Smash Hits photo shoot was in 1988, which was a long, long time ago."

It was also a triumphant afternoon for singer Rachel Stevens, who took the most fanciable female and best dressed star prizes.

Busted's Thunderbirds won best single and favourite ringtone, while the group's Matt Willis was named "best mop top".

Singer Natasha Bedingfield won best new talent, while US performer Usher won best solo artist and best R&B star.

Best rock act was awarded to The Darkness, while Eminem was named best hip-hop artist by the magazine's readers.

Maroon 5 were best international act and best dance act went to Shapeshifters, who had a number one single with Lola's Theme during the summer.

But it was not all good news for musicians - rocker Marilyn Manson won "flop pop mop" while Will Young was named worst dressed star.

I had the misfortune of seeing this, and I've never seen such a bad awards show in my whole life. They might as well of called it the McFly and Busted awarsd, because they were nominated for just about every award possible! And I mean, come on, favourite ringtone award? :roll

MTV EMAs were far better.

I give McFly and awful lot more credit than busted, they do the same thing as busted, but THEY actually do it. Theres nothing that pisses me off more than the busted approach to music....the instruments are props, im a bassist and the best part of being on stage is playin the godamn instrument, its the point of the damn thing! Busted piss me off

1. Because they can play their instruments (with the exception of the bass player) but choose not too

2. Dont hide the fact that they are miming playing

3. Have ridiculously expensive instruments (this isnt actually jealousy, if youre not going to play a bass live, it only has to look good asthetically, pickups, action etc are irrelevant, ou can pick up a prett ybass for a few hundred quid, the bassist has like 6 70's model fenders, twat, ok that bits jealousy)

Now ok they appeal to their target audience, but when you blatantly have another bassist on the stage behind you, in full view of the audience......then make 2 videos where this 2nd bassist is in shot, it deters from your musical/marketing ability. Saying that however i did once have a 20 minute conversation with a girl who refused to believe they didnt all play guitars, she couldnt grasp the concept of four strings....idiot! However i digress

McFly can and do play their instruments, I saw them on Children In Need, they had a shit sound system and a poor backline for such a big band but still played every aspect of the show just the 4 of them and live. Plus they solo, ask that big eyebrowed twat to scale an arpeggio and watch him cry.....god i hate busted! Saying that though, McFly's stuff is very vomit inducing power pop, not my cup of tea

To summarise im a bitter jealous twisted bassist who is gonna become a millionaire, become a majority shareholder in Fender and refuse to sell busted basses

</end rant>

I give McFly and awful lot more credit than busted, they do the same thing as busted, but THEY actually do it. Theres nothing that pisses me off more than the busted approach to music....the instruments are props, im a bassist and the best part of being on stage is playin the godamn instrument, its the point of the damn thing! Busted piss me off

1. Because they can play their instruments (with the exception of the bass player) but choose not too

2. Dont hide the fact that they are miming playing

3. Have ridiculously expensive instruments (this isnt actually jealousy, if youre not going to play a bass live, it only has to look good asthetically, pickups, action etc are irrelevant, ou can pick up a prett ybass for a few hundred quid, the bassist has like 6 70's model fenders, ****, ok that bits jealousy)

Now ok they appeal to their target audience, but when you blatantly have another bassist on the stage behind you, in full view of the audience......then make 2 videos where this 2nd bassist is in shot, it deters from your musical/marketing ability. Saying that however i did once have a 20 minute conversation with a girl who refused to believe they didnt all play guitars, she couldnt grasp the concept of four strings....idiot! However i digress

McFly can and do play their instruments, I saw them on Children In Need, they had a shit sound system and a poor backline for such a big band but still played every aspect of the show just the 4 of them and live. Plus they solo, ask that big eyebrowed **** to scale an arpeggio and watch him cry.....god i hate busted! Saying that though, McFly's stuff is very vomit inducing power pop, not my cup of tea

To summarise im a bitter jealous twisted bassist who is gonna become a millionaire, become a majority shareholder in Fender and refuse to sell busted basses

</end rant>

:lol

Man I got a kick out of reading that!

I didn't realise that McFly actually play their own instruments, I just thought that they were the same as Busted but fair play to them for that, even if it does make you wonder why they don't have better songs.

So you wouldn't let them buy Fender basses? Would you let them endorse Squier and Encore?!

Hey, I have a Westfield! A guitar admittedly, rather than a bass, but do I really have to play the same instruments as Busted? :P

It is annoying though when they get licence to go out and buy fantastic instruments that won't actually be used properly, the same way as when you see guitarists smashing up their equipment after a set. You think when Hendrix did it it looked cool once, but by now isn't it a bit hackneyed and even more so spoilt when you think of how many people can't afford that sort of gear?

well most of the folk that smash stuff up dont pay for it, most record contracts include at least basis equipment coverage or offer sponsorship with partner companies but i agree full that its stupid

the amusing thing with busted is, noone will sign them to an instrument deal, because theyre a pop act and no company sees it as benificial to their product because their audience arent influenced enough to go out an buy the instruments.......what i mean is, if a busted fan saw them playin Gibson SG the chances are they may go hey i want to play guitar, but they wouldnt buy a gibson SG

I remember reading a hilarious article with one of busted's guitarist who was really pleased with himself because Dawsons give him discounts on instruments......not only awre dawsons the worst BC Rich/|Fender bumming company in the world, he still has to pay for their stuff

loser

Edited by The Crippler