TNA Tidbits-JJ/BG James/PPV Buyrate

Fletch

- BG James (formerly known as WWE’s Road Dogg) was very angry backstage at the November 9th Impact tapings, after Kevin Nash’s long promo caused other segments to be cut back. Despite the heat he got for that incident, James seemed to be in good spirits at the tapings this week, and was even joking about his antics at last week’s tapings.

- The mood backstage at this Tuesday’s TNA tapings was very good. The word spread that the early buyrate for the Victory Road PPV was very encouraging. TNA president Dixie Carter was telling people how thrilled whe was with what the PPV providers have been telling her about Victory road. TNA was expecting about 25,000 buys, however now many are thinking more in the 40,000-50,000 range. TNA owner Bob Carter was also said to be extremely happy over the numbers that have been coming in. Even Jeff Jarrett, whose wife is currently battling cancer, was in a better mood than usual.

- In an interesting note, “Jeff Jarrett” is one of, if not the, hottest searched phrase on AOL’s sports section.

- Rumor going around backstage in TNA now is that Victory Road pulled in about 40,000 buys. However, some wrestlers doubt that the number was that high. There is a similar feeling about the ratings for the Best Damned Sports Show. There is no official word on those ratings yet, however it is known that they were greater than the usual ratings.

- Several people in TNA have noticed that the audience attendance at this past Tuesday’s Impact tapings in Orlando was way up from previous weeks. This happened without any additional advertising, and means that word of mouth is working for TNA right now. This is a very good sign for TNA.

From 3strandwrestling.com

I must say my thoughts are with JJ in this difficult time with his wife struggling with Cancer. hes a true hero and continues to burn both ends of the candle with helping his wife and also running TNA, and of course the people who search AOL love him.

Great news about the Buyrate, thats above 10% of the TV audience, something WWE have been struggling to do recently

--The numbers being floated around on a lot of sites for both the TNA specials on FSN and the buy rate for the PPV are significantly inflated.

Credit Wrestling Observer.com

I hope TNA still pull a decent PPV buyrate.

Jeff Jarrett is awesome. I didn't know his wife was battling cancer. Good luck to her. I wish people would stop saying JJ needs to get off the booking crew, he has put a lot of money into TNA and deserves the spotlight. I hope TNA got a good buyrate for VR. It was a solid PPV that deseres a lot of credit.

Jarrett isn't still putting money in, is he? I thought Panda was covering all costs.

And putting money into a company doesn't mean that he deserves a booking spot if his role is detrimental to the product. I'm not arguing whether he actually is or not, just the idea of being a booker :)

while I do think that Jarrett has his place in the main event scene in TNA, and with the belt I am also of the opinion that any wrestler who has booking duties of any description causes a real conflict of interests. Whether it be most of the roster in WCW, Triple H in WWE, or Jarrett in TNA. It's the equivalent of making Mike Tyson the president of the WBA and then giving himself title shots.

However as I said, that aside, I think Jarrett deserves his spot in TNA. He's been in many of their best matches, against Killings, Styles and Raven, not to mention the King of the Mountain and the match with Sting. He can still carry an awful worker like Jeff Hardy to an excellent match as he proved at Victory Road. He definitely deserves his spot.

I don't think the buy rates anywhere are significantly overstated at all. I've read most places that they reckon it's about 40000, yet Meltzer says it's probably gonna be over 30000. Well, that's hardly a huge overstatement is it? To be honest when Mr Miserable Meltzer said it would be 15000 before the show they've done really well in terms of buy rates for that ppv.

I don't know if Jarrett is still putting money into the promotion or not but I was just saying that when TNA first started he put a lot of money into it. Plus like Jayden said, he can put on great matches unlike others *coughcoughHHHcough* with backstage swing. Edited by RvD3:16
  • Like 1

I really feel for JJ. I mean his wife battling cancer and he put most his money into TNA at the start, hes not now Panda is but he needed to put a large amount in at the start. The guys been called Selfish and self centered but I dont believe a word of that, hes booking TNA, caring for his wife AND wrestling as much as he can. Thats dedication.

I must say JJ isnt the one that needs to stop with the booking, its Dutch Mantel and from what i understand thats not too far off