TNA's Next Big Thing

Jayden

They were asked about the next step for TNA, and Scott thought that they need to find ‘the next big thing’ like ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin in the WWE, and the New World Order in the WCW. Scott felt that it is a concept, and not necessarily a wrestler; and if TNA is able to get people to talk about it, then they can build on that concept.

The Scott talked about above is Scott Hudson, he was commenting about where TNA has to go from here and how they can challenge for the top spot in the business. I agree with what he says 100%, but finding that next big thing is going to be quite a mission.

So, what does everyone think? Is it a wrestler? Is it an angle? Is it someone they already have? Is it someone they can bring in? Who or what can carry this company on its shoulders?

Personally I don't see it in any way possible for it to be an angle or particular concept. What can they show us that hasn't been done before? They've innovated, to a point, and that's great but they've not been able to do anything that would lift them to the sort of levels where they could challenge the WWE. The X Cup, The Ultimate X matches, The Hard Ten tournament, these things were fun and different but how can they find a complete company sweeping angle or concept when we've already seen everything that can be done? Sure there are storylines and angles that would be entertaining but we're talking about them finding something so big, like the nWo, that it will carry the company and that just won't happen with one singular concept.

As for the talent, well, inside the company there's Three or four people who could almost do that but in all honesty won't. AJ Styles, Trinity, Chris Harris, Monty Brown, Abyss and Ron Killings.

AJ has far too many downsides. He's a credible main event talent in TNA for sure, but he doesn't talk well, is way too small, and doesn't have all that good a look. You need to be able to talk well to become the sort of star Austin did in the way Hudson was talking about. Styles voice isn't good, and his talking improves but is far from great. The other problem is his size. When they paired him up with Vince Russo as a manager you're basically looking at a guy who is the NWA World Champion, we're supposed to take him seriously as the best athlete on the planet and then next to him is a manager, a guy much bigger than him who actually looks like he could probably take him in a fight despite not having any physical presence at all. Styles will never be the breakout star that Austin was.

Trinity, perhaps a surprise choice in many peoples eyes but for me she has superstar written all over her. She has a great look which would be suited to any promotion. She can play the feisty diva, but she can go in the ring too. No, I realise she isn't as good as all that Japanese women that nobody in the US would ever care about but that's not the point. Trinity can talk really well, has a great presence in and out of the ring and every movement, every gesture, every step she takes looks like it has a purpose. She has her whole demeanour down to a tee. Her biggest problem is of course that she's female. What does she do? She's a manager, who sometimes wrestles. That's never going to make her the sort of star the company could do with. They don't really have a women's division and even if they did who would really care? Women's wrestling will never be as big, or as good, as men's in the United States.

Chris Harris is as important to the future of TNA as AJ Styles even if most don't realise it. He is a very credible main event talent and while he doesn't have it all, he has enough to succeed at that level. He has a decent enough look, he's big enough, he can talk at least as well as Styles if not better and he can work some great matches that reak of "main event". The sooner they have him and Storm break up the better. Get the belt off Jarrett, and around Harris waist. Have them tease a Storm heel turn for a month or two, and then swerve it all with Harris being the one turning heel. A Harris Vs Storm feud for the belt, with Harris ending up coming out on top as the killer dominant heel, almost in the mould of HHH 2000 would progress his career, and the fortunes of the company. Do I think he's the next Austin? Hell no, nowhere near but he's certainly one of the best options the company has.

Monty Brown has all the charisma, and a very decent look. He's improving in the ring all the time however he's still nowhere near where he needs to be. He has taken a poor gimmick and gotten over with it and is absolutely the guy they need to keep pushing. Again he doesn't have all the tools but he has enough of them to succeed. He can work good matches with the right opponent and if he continues to work harder on his in ring product he has the mic skills and ring presence to be a big star.

Abyss, I don't have too much to say. He's a decent big man, who they need in and around the main event level but he's very much not World Champion material or anyone who will become some huge star outside of TNA. He doesn't talk, very much like Kane, he wears a mask, very much like Kane, he's a solid big man who works good matches, very much like Kane, and he's not World Champion Material, very much like Kane.

Ron Killings. This guy is sooooo talented. He can talk superbly, he can work awesome matches, he's hugely athletic. He has it all but it's hard to put my finger on why but I just don't think he's going to be the next Austin or Rock. Perhaps it's his size, or perhaps it's his moveset. I'm not sure. I certainly think he could benefit in padding out his matches with more suplexes and traditional wrestling holds. Couple that with the athletic ability he already has and his more unique moves and you could have the next big thing in wrestling. He's already way over with TNA fans but he's probably the one of the guys who I think could make it there with a bit of fine tuning.

As for the indies? Nobody. Not one guy I've seen would be the big guy to pull them up in line with the WWE. If they were to sign Bob Sapp and push him right then he could well be, but he'd just dwarf the rest of the roster anywya, and the reality is that they'd never get him anyway.

So, is there one single angle or concept that they could utilise or come up with? Not in my opinion, no way. Is there one person on the roster that could lift them like an Austin? Not on the current roster. And is there one person they could sign and bring in to be the next big thing? Not a chance, most of the guys in the indies work in the indies because they don't have everything they need to work in the big leagues, well, the only big league at the moment the WWE.

Thoughts?

Edited by Jayden

Well there's a huge rumour circulating that Jerry Jarrett has told Dixie Carter that he wants Hulk Hogan in management, and that Jeff would be demoted from his booker role. PW have commented on it, and whilst it seems highly impossible, would a change in management or ideas spark what TNA needs? Possibly leading to this "next big thing"?

Are you saying what i think your saying? Hulkster as head Booker! What an interesting idea. I think that he would do a good job as booker as long he personaly is out of the lime light. That way he cant be forced by his massive ego to put the belt around his waist. I think that would be a death sentance for the TNA.

The way I see TNA right now is that they are on the finge of making a real impact on the world of wrestling in regards to a show that can be put opposite of WWE. Not literaly opposite of course. But just as somthing else to watch except the monopoly that the WWE has become. If the WWE was puting on matches of the quality seen on TNA, as well as the story lines that the WWE , at one time, were famous for then we honestly wouldnt care one way or another about TNA.

In my humble opinion, I see TNA as working their way up in a world where no one really cares. They have accuired a lot of talent such as DDP, Hall, Nash, Savage, but the company can NOT become focused on these "Old Timers". if they wish to succeed then they need to keep booking matches the way they have, with originality, and not the same old re-hashed crap that we have seen a hundred times on both RAW and NITRO!

I would love to see TNA become big enough to where I have a choice in what to watch. WWE has become stale, but TNA has a looong way to go before they can be consitered "Big Time!"

Well there's a huge rumour circulating that Jerry Jarrett has told Dixie Carter that he wants Hulk Hogan in management, and that Jeff would be demoted from his booker role. PW have commented on it, and whilst it seems highly impossible, would a change in management or ideas spark what TNA needs? Possibly leading to this "next big thing"?

perhaps. Certainly having Jeff not booking might help and freshen up things. To be honest I have 100% no idea whether Hogan would be good in a management role or not. I don't know what he's like in terms of creative, booking, storylines, organising shows etc, plus of course specifically what role he would take up in terms of management would need to be defined, so it would be interesting. Whether it would work or not is completely unsure until it happens to be honest.

They have accuired a lot of talent such as DDP, Hall, Nash, Savage,

they have acquired a lot of names, no a lot of talent. they already had a lot of talent but not a lot of names. in theory if used right this gives them a balance. in reality it looks like overshadowing the talents they already have and burying them down the card.

Hmm jarretts not the bad booker in TNA. Its ever since they let Dutch Mantell do more booking its gone downhill a bit. Get rid of him is the first thing to do for me.

Talent wise, AJ Styles has been a pehnomenon since TNA started, for me he certainly is the Current Big Thing but then perhaps we do have to look a little further down the card.

Hector Garza as Jay knows I absolutely love but lets face it,hes getting on and while he may well have come back to TNA hes certianly too old and has already made his name. For me Ravens at his best but hes never going to be a massive name, Monty Brown is perhaps a great choice, Abyss I dont think so, dunno but I just dont feel he has that X Factor quality.

So where or who do I think this Next Big Thing may or be or will be?

The X Division-Its revolutionised wrestling lets face it. Its been given more attention and has been booked much better than WWE's Cruiserweight Division. Ive always felt perhaps a little more airtime should be given to the X stars but watching the X Gauntlet thats no longer a problem . 30 minutes and some truely amazing stuff, guys like Sonjay Dutt, Shark boy, Jarrelle Clark, Mikey Baits, etc are all going to become more well known in the future, plus we now have the big name star powers of Aj Styles, Petey Williams and Spanky to add to that list.

Chris Harris-I absolutely love the wildcat, as Jayden knows as we've had many a long discussion on Harris. I dunno why the just killed his push when iMPACT came about, seemed pointless as he was very over with the fans and was nearing his peak. Superb worker, and like Jay has suggested many a time, perhaps push Harris to the top again and split him and Storm up with Harris turning heel. Hes certainly capable of doing it but its whether TNA would be willing to do it thats the question. Personally when JJ drops the belt, I want it to be to Wilcat Chris Harris

Chris Sabin- Some say Sabin is over rated. I say HAIL SABIN. The guy is incredible, some of the stuff he pulls of is amazing, hes truely awesome and for me the real star at the moment of the X Division. I absolutely loved his feud at the end of last year with Michael Shane and I thought he was at his best until ive seen him recently and hes an entire class better than he was back then. I hope he wins the X Championship at Turning Point, and perhaps then they can move petey onto bigger and better things and get a feud with Hector Garza and Sabin going

I could see Hogan as a booker one day - I just fear that the influx of Ed Leslie and co will follow again, and that Hogan won't let like likes of AJ be the solid gold they should be.

Incidentally, over at TNA Community, they all think Siaki is the NBT. Am I the only one who can't see s**t in him?

you're not the only one but I definitely disagree with you. He's got a reasonably good ammount of in ring talent, he has a good look, and while he's not the best on the mic yet he's pretty solid where that's concerned.

He's a really good worker and as he progresses his career he'll continue to improve, I see a lot of potential in that guy.

It's ok to say they see him as the next big thing but they haven't pushed him in ages which would very much suggest that actualyl they don't think that at all.

Personally I think guys like him and Pat Kenney with the right pushes could be main event quality really really soon in TNA. They probably won't get those pushes though.

Edited by Jayden

I think a change in booking might well be benefical to TNA, I also heard the rumour that Jerry Jarrett, along with Terry Taylor and Dusty Rhodes ( to work under Jerry Jarrett) were trying to influence Dixie Carter by saying the only way Hogan will come to TNA is if they have the booking duties. I do think that a changein booking might well be worth a try for TNA, but I feat Hogan booking.

Hogan has indirectly been booking promotions for years. Just look at the fine job he did helping to murder WCW, and that should give you a pretty good idea of how his influence will play out should he get the reigns in TNA. Still, with Jerry Jarrett being the owner, I'll "believe it when I see it" as far as demoting his own son.

If Hogan gets the booking reigns it's all over bar the shouting I think for TNA, they will have to do something huge and bring the shows on TWC up to date before they will gain any real worldwide recognition for the good job they are doing, especially in the X series of matches.

Jeff Jarrett though is making H3 look like the most unselfish champion of all time.

Spiritchaser

Tenay, Tomorrow and Yesterday?

theres no way on earth people would have continued to watch though if Hardy had of won the belt, the fans have turned on him because they realise he sucks, just like Ive been telling everyone from day one.

Jarretts building up some credibility to the belt unlike when Aj held it last and it swapped hands 3 times in 6 weeks. JJ to AJ, Aj To Killings, Killings to JJ. When he does drop it at least the person to get it will be worthwhile, like Monty Brown or even I doubt it but the one I hope for..Chris Harris

Jarrett isn't a bad booker I don't understand why people allways critisize him.

It won't be a concept that's the next big thing but rather a wrestler. Here's who I would pick.

Chris Sabin: He is a great in-ring talent who allways puts on great matches. He also has great charisma. His because disadvantage is that he, like A.J, is to small to be taken seriousley as an NWA Champ.

Monty Brown: You got to to love him. He improves in the ring every match and is great on the mic. I really can't see a disadvantage with him except maybe the fact that he isn't a big name yet.

Raven: Another great talent in the ring. If your a wrestling fan and you haven't heard of him you must live under a rock (he's been in ECW, WCW and WWE). He is one of my favorite heavyweights in TNA. His only disadvantage is that he's getting up there in the age, but hey when has that stopped anybody.

Those three are IMO the next big thing for TNA. They also need to give more time to the X-division, it seems lately that the focus has shifted away from it. They seriousley need to stop this WCW 2004 thing. With the exception of DDP none of the WWE rejects they hired are credible wrestlers.

Problem with Raven is not only his age, but that he's gone backwards. 6 Months ago he was the hottest thing outside of the WWE. Since then he's become stale as hell, his promos have become average, his matches haven't been great and to be honest it's not been the booking that's been the problem it's been him.

He knows the business inside out, and should be awesome in his mic work but he just hasn't been. He's nowhere near as good as he was a few months back. Raven had his chance at being the next big thing years ago and through a combination of bad booking and his own flaws he just didn't make it.