G8

The Crippler

From Football365.com:

Paul Gascoigne last night announced that he wants to be called 'G8' rather than his actual name or Gazza.

Gazza/Paul/G8 revelead his new name to Tim Lovejoy on the All Stars Show on Sky One.

Whilst 'G8' also stands for the grouping of the world's eight wealthiest nations, this was apparently not the reason for the choice. He said: "I quite fancy G8. Watch this space, because is stands for great as well".

'G8' is also a combination of his surname and famous shirt number. The name change is an attempt to signal a break from his hell-raising days and to show that he has moved on.

One of Britain's greatest ever football talents has endured a difficult career, plagued with alcoholism and depression. The former Spurs, Lazio and Rangers star resigned as player-coach of Division Two club Boston United earlier this month and featured for the Premiership Legends team in Sky One's The Match recently.

It remains to be seen whether 'G8' will have more success that Prince did with his name change.

:lol

yeah, he was, he was the most gifted footballer england had produced for ages, shame he was/is a bit of an ass.

like, i don't quite understand all this though. is he really being called G8 now? and do you pronounce it Jee Ate? Or is it Gate? What a chump, but then he always has been really.

I watched Gazza many a time from the Copeland Road stand and he is one of the most gifted players I've seen. I loved seeing him just get the ball, puff his chest out and start running with it (he was still good when he was at Rangers, a regular in the England team and putting on some great performances in Euro 96). Great player but there has always been something amiss with him. I don't understand why he doesn't want people calling him Gazza when he had an autobiography last year entitled "Gazza". Bizarre.

The thing about Gazza (and others like him, Best for example) are yes, their naturaly gifted, but I have zero respect for them at all. In fact i think less of them because their so talented, for flushing it down the bog (along with last nights vindaloo and a large amount of guiness.) And Ive never understood poeple who think their image is important to other people, or that a name change can fix it. All if got to say to 'g8', is get a real life. He's an idiot, with a hairstyle that rivals Rodney of Mean Stret Posse fame for hideousness.

Archived