[[Template core/front/global/userBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Favourite Actor/Actress

Jung

After my film stars lecture last week, I've decided to present this question to you all, who is your favourite actor?

In my lecture, there were many different answers, Pacino, Michael Caine, De Niro, Johnny Depp, Orson Welles, Tom Hanks, Kevin Spacey, etc to name but a few, but who's your favourite, and also if you like who is your least favourite.

For me my fave is Marlon Brando, Streetcar named Desire, On The Waterfront, Godfather, Apocalypse Now, prime example of method acting and fantastic too.

My least fave is Keanu Reeves, with exception to Bill and Ted where he played his stoner self. I just find him so wooden, lacking in any forms of expression or emotion.

But anyways guys and gals, fire away.

My favourite is Sean Penn. The best and most under rated actor of his generation. He's stunningly good.

My least favourite is also Keanu Reeves. He has one role he can play well, the Bill and Ted one, because basically he's playing himself. He's bearable in Point Break, again, simply because he's playing that kinda surfer dude thing. Everything else he is wooden, facially stunted, lacking in expression and emotion as jung said, and happened to be lucky enough to be in the most over rated stinking pile of crap ever made, the Matrix. Ooh, forgot. It looks nice though.

lmao, JCVD? He can't act for a start, he's not even a very good kickboxer. All his fight scenes are one dimensional and have the same three kicks in over and over again. He's short too. He may have been mildly attractive and been able to do the splits but what does he do that's any good? He's been in some quite cool films but they were never cool because he was in them.

Favourite actor? Tom Hanks no question, very talented and I love loads of his films. Castawaywas terrific. SVPR was the best war film ever made and The Green Mile ranks up along greatest films of all time and the only film I have ever cried at.

Actress wise? Nicole Kidman. terrific actress and as hot as.

Favourite actor? Tom Hanks no question, very talented and I love loads of his films. Castawaywas terrific. SVPR was the best war film ever made and The Green Mile ranks up along greatest films of all time and the only film I have ever cried at.

I can understand why people always go for Hanks but I do think a lot of it is simply that he's been given very very good roles to work with. You could argue that he only got those roles because he's a great actor but I do think a lot of it was down to luck as nobody would have been saying that he was the greatest actor on the planet after watching Big, or Turner and Hooch.

For me Id say Rutger Hauer for my fave. I dont think Ive ever disliked his performances in a film, not even when he camped it up in the Buffy The Vampire Slayer film way back when.

He is (IMO) the only muscle man who could really act.

Least fave, mmmm, yeah Keanu Reeves does it again.

Actress, has to be Alyson Hannigan. She can do funny/scatty and serious roles just as easliy. And shes damn fine too!

You can't say roles are down to luck Jayden, for someone picks him on the grounds of his talent. If Keanu Reeves was in Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump etc, I'm pretty sure the quality would be way down. He got picked for the roles, because the director, producer saw that he would uphold the quality of the film, and portray the character the way they wanted it down, and that's never down to luck. You can say the first big break in a film, maybe a slice of luck there, but as everyone knows once you get the ball, you're the only one who can run with it. And he certainly has done that. Pacino, De Niro, Brando etc all got given great roles to work with as well. It's taking it further than that, that makes a great actor.

And Turner and Hooch was like one of his first films in that 80's almost teen star era, every actor has to start somewhere and work his way up, don't just start with blockbusters, and amazing roles.

You can't say roles are down to luck Jayden, for someone picks him on the grounds of his talent. If Keanu Reeves was in Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump etc, I'm pretty sure the quality would be way down.

indeed but if you read what I actually said I did point out that you could easily argue that he got those roles because he's a good actor. You mentioned Keanu, and frankly he proves the point. Loads of idiots are fooled (thankfully not many on this board) into thinking he's a great actor because he was lucky enough to be given roles in films like Speed and the Matrix.

I'm not saying Hanks sucks, I'm just saying that he's been very very lucky with the roles he's been given. Lots of actors would have been considered good actors if they'd had the parts he had in films like Philadelphia, SPR, Forrest Gump, Castaway, Green Mile. Simply being a great actor doesn't get you those sort of roles. A large part of it is luck and coincidence.

I think role wise, he's been the luckiest (bar perhaps Keanu) of all as he had something to get his teeth into. Did Hanks really make those films great? Sure he was a huge part of them but they'd still have been good films without him. I'm not knocking the guy or not saying he's any good, I just think that lots of great actors don't get the sorts of roles that he does, that stlil appeal to a wide audience.

For instance somebody mentioned Rutger Hauer. He's been in some superb films and been given some amazing roles and scripts to work with but many of them have had such an underground feel to them that they've never been mainstream enough for a lot of people to notice.

Well my favourite actor is Chris Tucker. He is extremely funny and his films are normally high quality. The Rush Hour films being the obvious ones to point out, maybe its becuase he has excellent chemistry with Jackie Chan i dont know, but whatever it is Tucker is excellent in both movies. He had a small part in Fifth Element and was very funny yet again. He may not be very diverse in his roles, but that doesnt matter really, he acts great and fits each role he is given.

How can it be luck though? Hanks was first choice, it wasn't like Harrison Ford in Star Wars getting the role by accident. He was first choice, did the part in his way, and the public and critics loved it, hows that luck?

You made the point about loads of idiots fooled about Keanu. Fair enough, but all the big film critics will say oh Keanu still sucks, yet Hanks is great, so how does that work? Hanks is called a great actor by major film critics and by you average every day film fan. The films Hanks were in, were big budget films, which made a lot of money. Thats why he gets the roles, yet these films make money because of the part he plays, the quality of the film. His portrayal of Forrest Gump, or the man in Philadelphia. I don't understand, how you can chatergorise it as luck. Exactly what element of luck is involved?

Look at the films Pacino and De Niro were in, Godfather, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Deer Hunter, Scarface, Carlito's Way etc, are these bad roles? Hell no, they are just as good as the roles Hanks has, so does that mean, they've just been very lucky.

You can get one good performance, doesn't make you a great actor. Some average actors like Stallone have done the odd memorable performance (Rocky) yet majority of everything else he's done has been mediocre, despite the fact he's had decent roles.

Just because he makes lots of money from his films shouldn't detract from him being a great actor. If Sean Penn, or John C.Reilly, or Harvey Keitel all of a sudden made a huge blockbuster with a good performance in, would our thoughts on the great acting of them, go down? Course not, so I don't see why Tom Hanks, should be regarded as lucky, because his films were more successful than theirs. He's still excellent in those films, so be a regular fan, or film critic you can still say he's excellent.

Roles aren't picked out of a hat, they are given to people for a reason. Reeves is very popular, and perhaps fitted that Matrix bill. Sure he's still incredibly wooden, but hey. It's not like a lottery where you go, and yep Tom Hanks you were drawn first to be Forrest Gump. They picked him for a reason. And what exactly is the coincidence part? That he was in a great film, and then chose another great film? Hows that coincidence? Just don't get how any of it could get categorised as luck. Considering, with exception of James Stewart he was the only person to win back to back best actor Oscars, should surely count for something. The quality of your acting, shouldn't be measured by how successful your films are.

I'm not suggesting that tom hanks is simply lucky and untalented. you're reading way too much into what i've said. I am saying that A PART of who gets what role is down to luck. Had Hanks not been given those roles then he would not be the star he is today. Yes, he got them because of his talents but he could just as easily have been given 10 other roles instead which looked set to be huge blockbusters, and then bombed when they were released.

I'm not trying to say he's not a great actor because he is. All I'm saying is that a different director, or producer, or caster, or whoever picked Hanks for each of those roles could just as easily have decided to go for someone else, just as talented.

Hanks became a big name because, partly he's a good actor, and partly he was in great films. Most people only have the luxury of one or the other. Either being good, or being in great films. Hanks was lucky enough to have a great run of all his films having both of those things. Good performances from him, and good films.

My fav actor has to be Jim Carrey, whether doing serious roles ala The Trueman Show, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind and The Majestic to comedy ala Liar Liar, Dumb and Dumber, Ace Ventura, Bruce Almighty, The Mask, Me, Myself and Irene to name a few he's just superb!! The guy just cracks me up with his expressions but thankfully has also gone on to prove himself with his latest serious roles.

Another actor I really like is Jake Gyllenhal, he was great in Donnie Darko and The day After Tomorrow and The Good Girl! Plus he's damn hot :D

I like a few actress's Rene Zelwegger is prolly my favourite but I also like Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Aniston, Maggie Gyllenhal and Nicole Kidman. I'm sure there's someone I like much more but for the life of me I can't think who it is!! :)

Another actor I really like is Jake Gyllenhal, he was great in Donnie Darko and The day After Tomorrow and The Good Girl! Plus he's damn hot

yeah he's great, a really good actor from what I've seen so far and he is sooooo cute. I think we have scarily similar taste in men Goldy.

I'm by no means a film buff or have a great passion for films but my favourite is De Niro. Any time I see him on TV I have to stop what I'm doing and watch. He has a great quality about him that just draws you to the screen.

Favourite actress is Uma Thurman, purely because I'd bang her. :P

For instance somebody mentioned Rutger Hauer. He's been in some superb films and been given some amazing roles and scripts to work with but many of them have had such an underground feel to them that they've never been mainstream enough for a lot of people to notice.

Yeah, like Blade Runner......lol

But I'd recomend The Hitcher to anyone who likes a good film. Its tense and keeps you well stuck to your seat.

Yeah but to be fair Jayden its very rare you'll find an awful film with a great performance in, or a great film with rubbish performances. I mean if you wanna use those things for Hanks, then the same applies to Penn, De Niro, Pacino, Brando, Caine, and any other great actor.

I can watch any film with a rapper in. The Wash wasnt a good film but Ive seen it a load of times because Dre and Snoop star in it. Ice Cube is a good actor too. In Three Kings he did good, as he did Boyz In The Hood and others.

Favourite non rapper/actor though has to be Al Pacino. He is the greatest actor ever in my opinion, and starred in the best ever film (Scarface).

My favourite actress is probably Angelina Jolie. Watching her for over an hour is bliss.

lmao' date=' JCVD? He can't act for a start, he's not even a very good kickboxer. All his fight scenes are one dimensional and have the same three kicks in over and over again. He's short too. He may have been mildly attractive and been able to do the splits but what does he do that's any good? He's been in some quite cool films but they were never cool because he was in them.[/quote']

He does Karate not Kickboxing and was very good ,he has actually defeated world champions.

Anyway my favourite actors are Jack Nicholson,De niro and Marlon Brando.

Some of my others are Sean Penn,Peter Lorre,Dennis Hopper,Dustin Hoffman,John Cusack,Tony Leung and lately Bill Murray.

Actresses I'd go for Frances Mcdormand,Michelle Yeoh,Thora Birch,Scarlett Johansson and Sigourney Weaver.

I also like Linda Hamilton,Salma Hayek,Chiaki Kuriyama,Anjelica Huston and Zhang Ziyi.