Favourite Heel's Of The Past (Not A Poll)

John316

Just watched a New Japan match on TWC involving Dave 'Fit' Finlay. I'd forgotten what a great 'Heel' he was.

Just wondered if anyone out there had a favourite 'Heel' from 'The Old Days' so to speak.

You know, pre 1990ish and beyond.

I always loved watching Jake Roberts in the early 80's. That man new how to be a heel and how to work a match.

Jake could work a headlock and make it more exciting than anything to do with tables. I never seen Jake use the top rope, suplexes or any great fancy holds, yet he still had me believing.]

Long live the legacy of the Snake.

HDC

Good call about Jaker the Snake.

Their have been so many great bad guys it's impossible to list them all, but a few of the ones I remember best are:

Bruiser Brody was a guy who had the size, speed and guts to do anything. He was aswesome. Too bad he got stabbed to death by Carlito's daddy's right hand man in Puerto Rico while taking a shower after a match.

Ric Flair has won innumerable "bad guy" polls for 3 decades.

Randy Savage was a great bad guy.

Superstar Billy Graham, who was the prototype for both Jesse Ventura AND Hulk Hogan, was one of the best ever.

Jake Roberts wasa guy who came straight to my mind too :)

Ted DiBiase also has to get a special mention from me. Hey, even I have a price you know! He could wrestle, put on great matches, made his opponents look good, showed respect for the business, and his gimmick allowed for numberous top notch angles.

Pre 1990? Well DiBaise, Savage, Roberts, Orndorff (sp?), Brody where all great bad guys.

Shame that they all jobbed to Hogan and never carried the belt. Or in Roberts case the bookers where too scared to put Hogan and Roberts in the ring together. There is of course the fact that Brody never stopped off in McMahon land as well, he was making to much money in IWA, AJPW, NJPW and his brief stint in the old NWA.

I shall always laugh at the speed Luger managed to climb that cage away from Brody.

Bruiser Brody was a guy who had the size, speed and guts to do anything. He was aswesome. Too bad he got stabbed to death by Carlito's daddy's right hand man in Puerto Rico while taking a shower after a match.

too bad he was an asshole too, even if the idiot fans loved him for it. he was a jerk.

I shall always laugh at the speed Luger managed to climb that cage away from Brody.

yeah but that wasn't any indication of being a great heel, it was just a piece of unprofessional crap that Brody was always pulling.

he hurt young guys careers. he always thought he was screwing over promoters and never gave a second thought to the young kid in the match with him trying to feed his family who wouldn't get given a second chance because he had a stinker with brody.

as for me back in the day I thought Heenan was an awesome heel. people really hated him. I thought roberts was great too. my number one would probably be Flair though. he played the cheating heel role superbly.

Jayden I just laugh at that cos I really don't like Luger thats all...

Yeah Brody was an asshole, he tried to screw over Carlito's daddy in the IWA and got stabbed for it... He jumped from NJPW the company that made him in Japan to AJPW for $1000 more... He didn't sell for younger guys in the NWA...

Yeah he was an asshole, but as a kickass tough as diamond heel he was the business.

Just thought I'd chip in with Big Van Vader, when he was on form he was an amazing heel. A real life monster. (Just don't mention his later run in WWE).

agreed, he was an awesome heel in the early 90's in WCW. He came across as a dominating monster. He was no selling chairshots from Sting back at a time when nobody at mainstream main event level was doing that kind of thing. He was awesome in that role.

Vader, who (despite what the old poll and arguement says) is the best big man ever and in WCW and NJPW in the 1989-1993 period was a killer heel. Some of his matches with Sting and Cactus Jack where brutal and unmatched until the attitude era.

Shame they had him drop the belt to Ron Simmons and kill his cred... And then the WWF craped on it some more... Still kicked ass in Japan all the time though, only forgiener to hold the Triple Crown and IWGP title...

Vader, who (despite what the old poll and arguement says) is the best big man ever and in WCW and NJPW in the 1989-1993 period was a killer heel. Some of his matches with Sting and Cactus Jack where brutal and unmatched until the attitude era.

Shame they had him drop the belt to Ron Simmons and kill his cred... And then the WWF craped on it some more... Still kicked ass in Japan all the time though, only forgiener to hold the Triple Crown and IWGP title...

Agreed. Vader's the best big man I've ever seen by a mile. His work in WCW was much under rated, and when people insist that he only built his reputation in Japan I think they forget just how good a heel he was there through the beginning of the 90's. In Japan he's been in stunning matches and I've never seen anyone play the monstrous big man role better.

And SideEffect, I think you'll see that I'd already said that Flair was the best heel of all time in my eyes ;)

wait you guys i dont know how u can talk about heels and not bring in "The Nacture boy" Ric Flair

Yeah, you're right - Oh wait, he HAS already been mentioned!

Ric Flair has won innumerable "bad guy" polls for 3 decades.

my number one would probably be Flair though. he played the cheating heel role superbly.